• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sprocket change to shorten gearing - who has done it?

To be honest, for U.K. Roads, the standard gearing would be fine, and I wouldn't bother changing it.
I found that it cruised nicely at 80mph on the test ride, but out here, it's seriously silly hilly, and a more "motorcross" gearing would be useful.
My XR 250 gearing feels perfect o the street!

I get about 300k on a tank, which is about 60mpg I reckon, so I'm very happy.
If I wanted to save fuel, I wouldn't ride it so hard!

Rear sprockets for the NC that use the standard 520 chain aren't so readily available.

When I went looking, I couldn't find a +1 or +2 rear sprocket for it.
So I went for a -1 front sprocket to try it out.

Also, one tooth on the back only gives a ~3% change in the gearing - since 6th gear is practically unused here in Madeira, I need a bigger change in gearing, probably closer to a 50T sprocket, which leads me straight into needing a new chain as well.

-1T on the front sprocket gives ~9% shorter gearing, and seems to do the trick.

Also, to try it out, I only need to change the front sprocket - I can keep the current ( good condition ) chain and rear sprocket.

When it comes time to change the chain & sprockets, I'll probably change to a 525 chain - stronger, and sprockets are more readily available in all sizes.

-1T on the front sprocket feels good - I'll see if it feels too "short legged" on the major roads.

Just a heads up, I put the DCT rear sprocket on (39T) rather than the stock 43T rear and for me - for highway commuting, it's fantastic. Bolted right on, steel so it'll last forever, and works well. It's the opposite direction though... less low end and more top end. Now at 80mph I'm around 3700rpm

Most I'd consider gearing higher would be 41-tooth on highways, don't want to loose too much at the bottom given the Rockies.

Got speedo healer?

Most I'd consider gearing higher would be 41-tooth on highways, don't want to loose too much at the bottom given the Rockies.

Got speedo healer?

Nope, no speedohealer. I don't mind that it'll be off a little. My math says it should be off by about +10%.

As in, if I'm doing an actual 70mph, my idicated speed will
be around 63mph.

So to travel 80mph, I'll need to ride at an indicated 72mph, or so.

Last edited:
I'm using a 41 tooth rear sprocket on the rear and stock size on the front, works fine even loaded cases and 2 up going over a couple of smaller mountains I've tried, I plan on getting a 39 rear or even going up one in the front and go 43 on the rear if possible? Either way I'm not due to need chain or sprocket for awhile I just replaced my chain a couple of months ago.

I replaced my front sprocket with the smallest sprocket available. Best thing I've done to the bike. Geared way to high in stock form.

I replaced my front sprocket with the smallest sprocket available. Best thing I've done to the bike. Geared way to high in stock form.
Trying to pop wheelies? Lol I felt it was buzzy and not sitting at an ideal rpm on the freeway. Do you ride long distances at higher speeds? What is your average speed your riding? I could see the benefit of road or even in some twisties but it seems like you would be shifting allot.

I ride freeway quite a bit commuting to and from work. The stock gearing is way to high for me. I also go off-road and even first gear is still pretty high for doing anything technical. I'm still unable to pull a wheelie with this thing.

I ride freeway quite a bit commuting to and from work. The stock gearing is way to high for me. I also go off-road and even first gear is still pretty high for doing anything technical. I'm still unable to pull a wheelie with this thing.

Yeah ok. But you did not answer the question. Smallest possible front sprocket available, meaning what exactly? (What size are you referring to...what are you running?) And where did you buy it?

EDIT: I found the answer myself. You have a 15 tooth front sprocket...but unknown where it came from.

Last edited:
I could only find 1 place in the world that had it. I just searched online and found one. I believe it's a "JT" brand. It was a while ago sorry. Ebay might have them. But I don't know why these things are geared so high. I can still go 100mph and have 1000RPM before redline.

The stock NC gearing is definitely not geared "so high" for on-pavement riding. Just have to be comfortable about shift points. But if one is doing some two-track or single-track riding, of course it would be better to have lower gearing so one can crawl nicely. I will note that crawling maneuvers go a lot nicer if one has a throttle tube like the G2 Dirt or Street Tamer, which gives one finer-grained control from idle to half-throttle, and then ramps up beyond half throttle thanks to the cam shape.

Since I also have a dualsport I prefer to do off-pavement riding on, I'm actually considering when its time for a new chain for my NC to gear it slightly higher yet at that time. I could easily do almost all my starts at intersections in second when the gearing is in stock form. I can totally ignore first, except when starting on hills or getting into and out of my motorcycle shed and yard, really...

The stock NC gearing is definitely not geared "so high" for on-pavement riding. Just have to be comfortable about shift points. But if one is doing some two-track or single-track riding, of course it would be better to have lower gearing so one can crawl nicely. I will note that crawling maneuvers go a lot nicer if one has a throttle tube like the G2 Dirt or Street Tamer, which gives one finer-grained control from idle to half-throttle, and then ramps up beyond half throttle thanks to the cam shape.

Since I also have a dualsport I prefer to do off-pavement riding on, I'm actually considering when its time for a new chain for my NC to gear it slightly higher yet at that time. I could easily do almost all my starts at intersections in second when the gearing is in stock form. I can totally ignore first, except when starting on hills or getting into and out of my motorcycle shed and yard, really...
I've noticed that riding where I do in Sport III Automatic mode, I'm almost always in 5th gear at the most... I'm OK with that, because it works well, and I'm getting a real 64-65 mpg while doing it... What's not to like?

It sounds like you are trying to ride it like a trials bike? LOL.

Anyone else ever made 100MPH at 5500 rpm other than on gear calc?

...and gear calc sims via say Gearing Commander really can't include the factors such as aerodynamic drag or rolling drag or power curve. Its main grace is in aiding one in getting their 5 or 6 gears in the range where they all get the best use, and also being able to include rear tire diameter in the equation. Gearing Commander or the equivalent in old-school math seems far more useful to narrow down good combinations for dualsport or dirt riding -- to me anyway.

Anyone else ever made 100MPH at 5500 rpm other than on gear calc?
The bike is alleged to go 111 mph. I assume that's not downhill with a tailwind?
My 1970 Ducati 450 Mark III Desmo would go 110 mph, but it was in general a nasty piece of crap... My '75 RD350 would go 110 mph too, so what?
(Hey, I'm just trying to build up my post count here, so I can get the year end award of a free new NC700X DCT ABS...)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I ride some pretty difficult single track on the NCX. I have a dirt bike as well but I'm used to riding big bikes where they shouldn't go. This has been fun so far on a bike I would never expect to own. There are much cooler, faster, nimble bikes I would rather own but this thing is so cheap and fun I couldn't pass it up.

Back