• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spark Plug Wrench

Would someone please tell me the size of the spark plug wrench required for the NC?

Thanks

Don't quote me, but I think it's 5/8"

I don't believe you need the usual thin-walled motorcycle sparkplug wrench to access the plugs on the NCX, because you can get at them outside the valve cover, versus the narrow little deep tunnels through the rocker box, on most other modern bikes.

Another Yaay! NC700X feature. :D

Don't quote me, but I think it's 5/8"

Thanks, I'm taking a chance on that and that's what I ordered. Honda calls their wrench a 16 which i am guessing is 16mm. That is close to 5/8" but not exact.

Yes, I see that you don't need the thin walled wrench but I am getting that one because of weight. A standard plug socket and ratchet weighs over half a pound compared to the bike plug wrench which weighs about 2 ounces and fits nicely in the kit.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, I'm taking a chance on that and that's what I ordered. Honda calls their wrench a 16 which i am guessing is 16mm. That is close to 5/8" but not exact.

Yes, I see that you don't need the thin walled wrench but I am getting that one because of weight. A standard plug socket and ratchet weighs over half a pound compared to the bike plug wrench which weighs about 2 ounces and fits nicely in the kit.

Thanks for your help.

Ooh, that's a cool site for moto goodies! :cool:

Hi
1. Do I need to change spark plugs at all? Seeing that this is an electronically controlled sparking engine?
2. How do I change spark plugs on this machine?
3. What are the "good" spark plugs to buy? Article Number? Not those twin sparklers type please. :p

Happy, are you turning into a do-it-yourself motorcyclist? :)

1. Do I need to change spark plugs at all? Seeing that this is an electronically controlled sparking engine?
Yes. Honda specifies 32,000 mile change intervals, with inspections in between at 16,000 miles for the North American market. Not sure whether your market specifies something different or not. The rest of my answers below are from Honda's North American service or shop manual.

2. How do I change spark plugs on this machine?
REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
Remove the lower cowl.
Disconnect the spark plug caps.

Clean around the spark plug base with compressed air before removing the spark plug, and be sure that no debris is allowed to enter the combustion chamber.

Remove the spark plug using the equipped spark
plug wrench.
Inspect or replace the spark plug as described in the
maintenance schedule.
Install and hand tighten the spark plug to the cylinder
head, then tighten the spark plug to the specified torque
using the equipped spark plug wrench.
TORQUE:22 N·m (2.2 kgf·m, 16 lbf·ft)
Connect the spark plug caps securely.
Install the lower cowl.

3. What are the "good" spark plugs to buy? Article Number? Not those twin sparklers type please. :p
SPECIFIED SPARK PLUG:
NGK: IFR6G-11K

Install and hand tighten the spark plug to the cylinder
head, then tighten the spark plug to the specified torque
using the equipped spark plug wrench.
TORQUE:22 N·m (2.2 kgf·m, 16 lbf·ft)
Connect the spark plug caps securely.
Install the lower cowl.

:confused: Regarding those directions, I've yet to figure out how to read the torque off "the equipped spark plug wrench." ;)

Last edited:
It has right hand threads, so you need to send your right hand back for calibration.

That's what I figured. Right wrist, annual calibration, traceable to NBS standards.

Yeah, it's amusing wording, isn't it? :)
I just use the contact+xx degrees method specified on all the spark plug boxes.

Back