• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spare key hider/holder ?

Mandalorian

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting more paranoid about accidently locking my key in the frunk. I'm sure there must be some good ideas out there but I tried the search and come up with nothing. How/where can you hide a spare key on the bike? I sometimes keep it in my jacket pocket but if I wear another jacket I sometimes don't move it to the other jacket. Also I saw some posts about opening the frunk without a key. I must be doing something wrong with the Search .I keeping getting nada.

I locked my key in the frunk last week while taking my wheels off for a tire change, and my spare key was at my girlfriend's house an hour away.
I don't want to go through that again. I'm going to zip tie a key to the frame or somewhere it can't be seen.
Any other ideas?

I was feeling a bit paranoid about this too, so I had a spare key made ($5) at the local locksmith, and since these (US) keys are not chipped, I ground away most of the large head, but left enough to grab and turn easily.
The key now fits very nicely inside my wallet and is not noticeable at all.
TIYLI (Try It You'll Like It) :)

I made it a habit that every time I open the frunk or the gas lid, I immediately put the key back in ignition. When I am leaving the bike, I always take the key and put it in my right pocket. It's so ingrained in head that if I don't that exact same thing, it feels weird. This way, I have never came close to locking the key in the frunk.

I follow Naked_Duc's protocol. Key is always in one on three places: in my right pants pocket, in the ignition switch, and usually just for a moment, in the frunk lock. I generally unlock the frunk or rear seat, and immediately return it to the ignition or pocket. Lastly, before I shut the frunk up, I look to see that the key is back in either of it's three permissible locations. It may sound complicated, but it habit and requires little to no conscious thought.

On long trips away from my home, a spare key is in my wallet. The rule there is the wallet always stays on my person, never in the luggage or frunk.

Last edited:
I was feeling a bit paranoid about this too, so I had a spare key made ($5) at the local locksmith, and since these (US) keys are not chipped, I ground away most of the large head, but left enough to grab and turn easily.
The key now fits very nicely inside my wallet and is not noticeable at all.
TIYLI (Try It You'll Like It) :)

Doing this! Thanks!

Granted I've locked my keys in cars before but I can't really see locking my bike key in the frunk. I don't know why I would ever have a reason to put the key in there.

Having said that I'll probably do it soon. :)

I made it a habit that every time I open the frunk or the gas lid, I immediately put the key back in ignition. When I am leaving the bike, I always take the key and put it in my right pocket. It's so ingrained in head that if I don't that exact same thing, it feels weird. This way, I have never came close to locking the key in the frunk.

I follow Naked_Duc's protocol. Key is always in one on three places: in my right pants pocket, in the ignition switch, and usually just for a moment, in the frunk lock. I generally unlock the frunk or rear seat, and immediately return it to the ignition or pocket. Lastly, before I shut the frunk up, I look to see that the key is back in either of it's three permissible locations. It may sound complicated, but it habit and requires little to no conscious thought.

On long trips away from my home, a spare key is in my wallet. The rule there is the wallet always stays on my person, never in the luggage or frunk.

+3 on that. I NEVER put my keys into the frunk, EVER. That way it doesn't happen. The keys are in either the ignition, the frunk lock if accessing the frunk, my top case lock or my pocket. Just make it a conscious effort to never put your keys in there and it shouldn't be a problem.

I've gotta say locking the keys in my frunk for some reason or another has been on my mind since I bought the beast. But since I have a japanese model with the chip in the ignition key, I was just going to go out and get an ignition key cut at a locksmiths and then do what dduelin did...

(non chipped) Spare key copies are cheap!

Put a copy in each of any jackets you own and even might wear riding. Duct tape one under the foam insole of a boot. Zip tie one in a spot hidden from view somewhere on the bike. Put one in your wallet.

Back