• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shoe Rubber on exhaust, any suggestions?

People are forgetting there are different grades of steel wool. 0000 Grade will NOT scratch the pipes and is a great general polishing option when used with an appropriate polishing agent. Surface must be clean of course. I would follow itlives advice.

I have to admit, oven cleaner didn't even cross my mind. It should work, but there may be a stain in the stainless. That may never come out- depending on the grade of stainless.

I've found out my fingernail or plastic scraper can chip most of it off cold and what's left cleans off with WD40 or GooGone. Unless you know what you are doing do not use steel or bronze wool. It's too easy to dull or matte the polished surface even if it does not leave deep scratches.

Personally I don't care for the brown oxidized look the stainless muffler gets with miles of use. You can clean it back to sparkling original condition you know. If you like to rub and polish by hand try Mothers or Flitz metal polish. If you prefer not to exert effort use a paste of Bar Keepers Friend.

Solvol Autosol is another great product that I've used for over 35 years. It's a creamy liquid paste that polishes, and has an almost wax-like sealant finish. It has a great cleaning ability, as well.

If there was any residual stain or blemish left after the rubber goo is removed, I'm sure it would be polished out nicely with Autosol. (I would just dip a rag in gasoline, and/or use a plastic scrub pad if further needed, to remove the rubber, myself)

I don't know if it's sold in the 'States, though.

991200.jpg

Here is what I bought:
IMAG0764.jpg

Before:
IMAG0762.jpg

After:
IMAG0763.jpg

Lessons Learned: DO NOT USE THE ABRASIVE PADS!!! As you can see, they somewhat scratched my exhaust, even though I was more than careful. Instead use an old shirt, or paper towels like I did. Simply wet the rag, dabble/soak the rubber, and it will gently come off. I used my finger nail pushed up against the paper towel to get the stubborn parts.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited:
Those 3M pads you bought will scratch ANYTHING. When I painted cars, after the final sanding and before it got taped up, I would wash the whole thing down with soap and water and a 3M pad (finer grit though) and rinse it off real good. I NEVER had any paint come off any of the cars I painted.
They have their uses.....

Lessons Learned: DO NOT USE THE ABRASIVE PADS!!! As you can see, they somewhat scratched my exhaust, even though I was more than careful. Instead use an old shirt, or paper towels like I did. Simply wet the rag, dabble/soak the rubber, and it will gently come off. I used my finger nail pushed up against the paper towel to get the stubborn parts.

Even some paper towels are mildly abrasive. Definitely do not use a gas station paper towel on your bike's windshield. I would use a micofiber cloth for cleaning/polishing.

The scratches can be polished out. I would start with a fine metal polish or 0000 steel wool. I use WD40 as a lubricant with the steel wool. If they are deep then you will have to go with a more abrasive compound and/or steel wool and work your way back up to the fine compound.

The scratches can be polished out. I would start with a fine metal polish or 0000 steel wool. I use WD40 as a lubricant with the steel wool. If they are deep then you will have to go with a more abrasive compound and/or steel wool and work your way back up to the fine compound.

absolutely! i've polished headlights many times. you make them dull first with 2000-3000 grit paper. they will look terrible. matte,not clear. then-polish to perfection with a polish paste. couple rounds with polish usually more than enough.
if one can polish polycarbonate lenses,steel shouldn't be a problem at all.

Despite the scratchy pads (which doesn't look like they did too much damage thankfully) at least it's good that you have a little more experience with the task and results now, and can put that towards possible future dealings with such. :)

Despite the scratchy pads (which doesn't look like they did too much damage thankfully) at least it's good that you have a little more experience with the task and results now, and can put that towards possible future dealings with such. :)

Yep, live and learn. Ever so slightly got my hands dirty too. It was worth it... as others stated, I think it would be easily polished out, I didn't scratch deep at all with those pads.... tried to be careful

Back