• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shift lever replacement options

bendobe

Reaction score
Visit site
After I did a new gear/mods shakeout ride yesterday I found a fairly significant ergo problem I'm hoping you guys can help with. The combination of the SW-Motech footpegs and sz12 Alpinstars Toucans does not leave enough room to get my toe in between the pedal and the shifter. I basically had to upshift with the side of my boot. I believe I have the SWs as low as they will go (actual adjustment another disappointment).

DSC00450.jpg

The SW-Motech seems ridiculous (even for me). I know Dale makes one. Any other options? The internet is telling me that SW-Motech is pretty much it.

I miss paying $35 for these beauties on my KTM

11-0563-02-40-2T.jpg

Have you adjusted the shifter up? I wasn't happy with where the previous owner had it. I adjusted it up so my foot fits under it better.

I'll have to give that a try this weekend and see if it solves the problem. Other than finding a welder to extend it the options seem pretty limited.

The tie rod gives you a good bit of adjustment but if that isn't enough you can also rotate the gear shift arm on the splined shaft which will put the shifter into a new range of adjustment using the tie rods. One of the ends of the tie rod is reverse thread so you loosen and tighten the lock nuts in the same direction.

dusting off another old thread...

I wore my waterproof boots with a pretty tall toe box today. Right away I was wishing I had a bit longer shift lever and ran across this thread. I figured a 2-yr old thread is as good a place as any to ask a related question.

The toe box on my waterproof boots (Alpinestars Roam) is so tall that I have to adjust my shift lever fairly high to comfortably upshift when I wear these boots. That leaves the lever uncomfortably high and even more awkward to raise my foot high enough to downshift. My ankle gets sore after a short ride from raising my foot at the required angle, so I wind up lifting my foot off the peg to put it in place to downshift. I can't do that at all when I'm standing on the pegs.

I can't seem to find a sweet spot where I don't have to struggle to get my toe up on the shifter and still fit my boot under it. Anyone else experience this? If so, what do you do?

I just shift my foot back on the peg. When I need to shift (up or down) I move my foot into position.

I understand this takes valuable time, but it takes me less than half a second to shift, and much less time witn adrinaline, I'm sure, so I'm okay with that. Sometimes I get the urge to keep my foot under the lever, but then I remember it's uncomfortable and in an emergency I'd probably have to shift down (or choose which is better), so I move it back anyway.

Back