• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Setting rear suspension sag via preload adjustment

Lee, I didnt even consider that option. After my Nova Scotia trip next month I'll have a pretty good evaluation of the bike and if I need to address it. You have a Progressive shock do you not? How does it compare in ride quality and performance to original and how much do you weigh?

Mine is an Ohlins. I didn't spend any time working with the stock shock, so I can't give a good assessment. I routinely change to Ohlins or Wilbers without much analysis. The front is where my dissatisfaction was. In that regard it is night and day better with RaceTech. RaceTech does retrofits of stock rear shocks as well. I have the new take-off from mine which you could send out (there or anywhere else) for re-springing if that would work for you.

Here they are side by side...

Farm King Y750.jpg

By the way, I weighed 200 when I had the shock built, but 180 and dropping now. I don't travel with a passenger and I am learning to pack lighter in my old age.

How much leeway do you suppose one has in terms of altering spring rate before altering rebound damping is necessary?

Last edited:
How much leeway do you suppose one has in terms of altering spring rate before altering rebound damping is necessary?

Hard to say. Rebound damping should ideally go up with spring rate, but who knows whether it is over or under damped to begin with? Inexpensive OEM Japanese shocks are typically underdamped for my taste. Unfortunately, it is not adjustable. Getting the spring rate where it is right for the load should be an improvement even if the rebound damping is not ideal. It is the same with front springs. Some people change them to get the rate in range without changing the damping and notice an improvement.

Last edited:
Thanks! And sorry I somehow left out the second "altering" right before "rebound damping." :)

Back