• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Serious mistake by Honda dealer!

nc700xbarcelona

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I took my NC700x ABS for its first 600mile service ast week and all seemed well until I started to detect a a grinding noise, especially when braking. I pulled in to take a look and discovered that there was a wheel nut missing off the rear wheel and the axel sticking out from one side!
I had the bike taken to the dealer who couldn't explain how this had happened. I suggested that they had forgotten to replace the nut following the chain replacement, but he showed me how they do the new chain installation without the need to remove the wheel.
Anyway, after much apologies, free lunch and next servicing free of charge I was on my way again.
I don;t normally check the work of mechanics, but guess what...I think I'll develop a new habit!
photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpg

Yow! Glad you didn't go down.

I once had a rear wheel break off the Camry I was driving on the Interstate. The mechanic had forgotten to tighten the wheel nuts and it rattled off at highway speed. Luckily, nobody got hurt. It pays to check!

This a serious, big and incredible mistake. And for sure they don't need to remove the wheel, but if they are telling you they didn't touch the nut to change the chain, they are lying hard or they have the worst mechanic knowledge I have never seen.

This a serious, big and incredible mistake. And for sure they don't need to remove the wheel, but if they are telling you they didn't touch the nut to change the chain, they are lying hard or they have the worst mechanic knowledge I have never seen.

I think what happened is one of the less experienced mechanics removed the nut, not realising that there is no need to do this, only to loosen it in order to slide the wheel forward and then forgot to to replace it. However, if they were the junior mechanic, then their work should be checked and supervised.

BTW, Looking at you avatar, you look to be based in Catalunya. The dealer is in Barcelona, but I won't mention their name on this forum, as the matter is now closed. They've actually been very good in all other aspects of customer service, so I'll put this down to a one-off.

On helicopters, they'd call that the "Jesus nut". Good job you stopped when you did!

Just a note - don't just check that the nuts are tight - ensure they are torqued correctly! An incorrectly torqued nut (too loose OR tight) can come undone with vibration/motion, but a correctly torqued nut won't. If you contact Honda they should be able to tell you what the nut should be torqued to. Be sure to use the correct method for torquing as well. I'd also look at whether a thread locking compound could be used to further secure it.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to my when I had my rear tire replaced on my Scooter. The rear wheel was loose. Took it to my mechanic and he found the shop never tightened the axel nut to secure the wheel. The wheel was only being held on the axel by the cotter pin. It pays to inspect and check...

I am glad you did not have a serious accident nc700xbarcelona.

I had the oil and filter changed at 300 miles after the break in period. The first thing I did before I left the dealer was check the oil level.

I was trained as a heavy equipment operator in the Navy to do a pre-trip inspection on every piece of equipment that was dispatched to me and when we picked up equipment from the mechanic shop it is very important to inspect the work that was performed. I was the Safety Officer for NMCB3 "Navy Mobile Construction Battalion 3" out of Port Hueneme, CA for 3 years and I was a crane operator for 2 years working with the 13 piers at 32nd Street Naval Station San Diego.

$(KGrHqR,!gwE91q!oP(gBPp3T1p(yw~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
Sometimes I need to be reminded why I do all my work myself. It is still a good habit to do a walk around before EVERY ride.

Hi all,
I took my NC700x ABS for its first 600mile service ast week and all seemed well until I started to detect a a grinding noise, especially when braking. I pulled in to take a look and discovered that there was a wheel nut missing off the rear wheel and the axel sticking out from one side!
I had the bike taken to the dealer who couldn't explain how this had happened. I suggested that they had forgotten to replace the nut following the chain replacement, but he showed me how they do the new chain installation without the need to remove the wheel.
Anyway, after much apologies, free lunch and next servicing free of charge I was on my way again.
I don;t normally check the work of mechanics, but guess what...I think I'll develop a new habit!
View attachment 1678View attachment 1679

Well, no, you don't need to remove the rear wheel, but you do need to loosen the nut to adjust the chain tension. This could have resulted in the loss of the nut. I also think this is evidence that Honda needs to go back to the castle nut/cotter pin arrangement as a secondary capture device to prevent loss of the nut if it were simply undertorqued.

Not wanting to sound like, "I told ya so", but dealer service can be a risk. Being burned a few times like this will steer you toward doing all your own service, or at least checking the work of someone else afterwards.

Greg

Last edited:
On helicopters, they'd call that the "Jesus nut". Good job you stopped when you did!

Just a note - don't just check that the nuts are tight - ensure they are torqued correctly! An incorrectly torqued nut (too loose OR tight) can come undone with vibration/motion, but a correctly torqued nut won't. If you contact Honda they should be able to tell you what the nut should be torqued to. Be sure to use the correct method for torquing as well. I'd also look at whether a thread locking compound could be used to further secure it.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

In the case of the NC700X, the owner's manual that comes with the bike includes the spec for rear wheel nut torque (at least in the USA version of the manual).

I was stationed in Rota Spain nc700xbarcelona and I traveled often to Barcelonia and Torremolinos. I took a road trip with 3 friends one long weekend to Lisbon Portugal. I met a Moroccan girl and she took good care of me for the 6 months that I was in Rota. Beautiful Country!

Rota Spain, Sigonella Sicily, Okinawa, Guam.

Last edited:
In the case of the NC700X, the owner's manual that comes with the bike includes the spec for rear wheel nut torque (at least in the USA version of the manual).

I don't have the bike yet, so no idea. :) If things work out, it'll be February next year when I buy.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Blimey that could have been one nasty incident and glad it did not turn out so.

For the dealer to deny responsibility for this matter is understandable, but sad. I have many customers in the automotive repair business that stand 100% behind their work even when they make mistakes. I still believe most dealers would too. If you had taken the bike in for a burned out headlight and the axle nut came off, ok. There is an old motorcycle safety diddy called T-CLOCs I believe.

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLOCSInspectionChecklist.pdf

With a little practice, this can be done in a few minutes and may save your tail some day.

Last edited:
Back