• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seeking a longer Clutch Cable??? Anybody found one?

Question: where is the place on this Forum to put this type of info for easy access? I.e. Honda parts interchangeability info.

We have a FAQ thread with this kind of thing, and this contribution would be great. Unfortunately, judging from the questions asked on the forum, it's evident that not everyone reads the FAQ.

Thank you for for sharing your clutch cable findings! It's good stuff.

Glad I found this thread.

About 4K miles ago I added 2" Rox risers. After reading all the problems some had with not having enough clutch cable slack, I was concerned, so I kept a close eye on the cable, but I saw no ill effects. About 300 miles ago I added handguards. When I did, I inspected and readjusted the clutch, so I KNOW there was zero damage.

Thursday I noticed my shifter felt stiff, so I checked my clutch cable when I got home and found it frayed badly. I can clearly see the clutch move at full left lock, which I know wasn't happening when I installed the handguards. Then I remembered adjusting the handguards up farther after my first ride with them on. I bet that's how I got too much tension and caused the problem. I don't know how I could have missed that, so I'm pretty mad at myself for not being more attentive.

Needless to say, I'm gun shy about putting the same length cable back on the bike, so this thread is a 100% win for me. THANKS!!

Why I changed my Barkbusters setup, to get least interaction with cables and wires while still having the bars and cups up where I wanted them -- with or without my great cheap China risers. For all the hoopla Barkbusters made about their bike-specific fits they could have done better ; }

[...I.m thinking a CTX700 cable may work...]

Someone mentioned earlier that CTX clutch cable is longer and has the same ends.

Adding to the success story here, I installed a CTX clutch cable yesterday. I have 2 inch risers and Cycle Gear hand guards. The cable routing had been compromised at the hand guard hardware, causing the cable to make a bend right as it exited the lever. The new, longer clutch cable allows the routing to go above the hand guard hardware and make a nice, clean arc. The CTX700 cable is actually 100mm longer than the NC700X cable, so it really is a tad too long, but it seems to work OK, causing no problems with lock to lock steering motion. Installation was simple. I tied the new to the old with tape, and pulled it right through. No panels needed removal.

Dimensions
NC700X: cable 1135mm, sheath 1050mm.
CTX700: cable 1238mm, sheath 1150mm.

Before and after pics:

100_0957.jpg

100_0958.jpg

Last edited:
Adding to the success story here, I installed a CTX clutch cable yesterday. I have 2 inch risers and Cycle Gear hand guards. The cable routing had been compromised at the hand guard hardware, causing the cable to make a bend right as it exited the lever. The new, longer clutch cable allows the routing to go above the hand guard hardware and make a nice, clean arc. The CTX700 cable is actually 100mm longer than the NC700X cable, so it really is a tad too long, but it seems to work OK, causing no problems with lock to lock steering motion. Installation was simple. I tied the new to the old with tape, and pulled it right through. No panels needed removal.

I installed the CTX cable yesterday too, but I wasn't as smart as you.

I got the old cable off but had to take off the panels to route the new one correctly. It was a real pain in the rear, but it was cool to see under all the panels for the first time.

However, the important part is that l can also vouch for the CTX clutch cable working like a dream. I'm so glad I did this and glad I bought a spare. Here's a pic of the old cable:
16177844_1616583201690294_531675725189158066_o.jpg

Have fitted 50mm risers to my 2016 NC750X and found the clutch cable just too short, particularly on full left lock. Went to the local Honda dealer and checked thru all their clutch cables. Found a Motion Pro 02-0040 to suit 1981 - 1983 XR250 and XR500. It is 65mm longer than stock and went on easy. Had to reroute the cable at the handlebar end and everything now working perfectly with the length pretty well spot on. Price was about 1/2 a genuine Honda cable. $25 here in Australia.

Any update on the throttle cable? I am currently figuring out which risers to get and whether to order cables and have them ready ot go as needed. Thanks

Any update on the throttle cable? I am currently figuring out which risers to get and whether to order cables and have them ready ot go as needed. Thanks

What, specifically, do you want to know about the throttle cable?

Back