• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Security chain in frunk and handling

2wheeledJim

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm deciding between a 5kg chain and an 8kg chain in the frunk for when I'm parking around London for work during the summer. The heavier duty chain is more expensive/bulky but of course more secure.
Thing is, since the bottom of the frunk is nice and low down compared to say top box storage, I don't expect the effect on handling would be too noticeable?
I know the bike weighs in at 218kg and 5-10kg isn't a huge percentage of that number.

Does anyone have any experience of carrying security chains and the like in the frunk? Worth fretting over a few extra kilos?

watching youtube vids of people cutting chains with a grinder in broad daylight to steal a motorcycle makes you wonder if that or a disc lock with alarm would be better? The disc lock is certainly lighter.

I'm deciding between a 5kg chain and an 8kg chain in the frunk for when I'm parking around London for work during the summer. The heavier duty chain is more expensive/bulky but of course more secure.
Thing is, since the bottom of the frunk is nice and low down compared to say top box storage, I don't expect the effect on handling would be too noticeable?
I know the bike weighs in at 218kg and 5-10kg isn't a huge percentage of that number.

Does anyone have any experience of carrying security chains and the like in the frunk? Worth fretting over a few extra kilos?
Any chain can be easily cut with a battery powered angle grinder with a cut-off wheel attached, and I'm with hulk on the weight. It's not like the old days when you needed a 4 to 6 foot bolt cutter.

If anything that extra weight in a central position in the frunk might even enhance the handling. In the top box of course it would be seriously detrimental.

The inventor of the battery powered angle grinder has pissed in the soup for everyone but it's significant that a 50% heavier chain (say 20% larger link diameter) takes over twice as long to angle grind, and in the field where noise and sparks may draw attention this is nice to know. Re: alarmed disc locks, it's not unheard of that 3 or 4 goons lift a bike into a white van with all security still attached and drive off. Don't see that being too likely for an NC these days but it has happened.

It hadn't occurred to me the handling may be improved with a heavier chain in the frunk. I'll stick some bags of sugar in there today and run some experiments. Probably won't notice a thing :p

I wouldnt think it would be impossible for 3 or 4 goons to lift a bike into a white van that was locked with a security chain and grind thru the links at their lesiure back in their garage. If a thief wants your bike bad enough, guess what? He will figure a way. Security measures deter the casual thief. I dont see the NC as being a particularly attractive to thieves who usually target sport bikes and Harleys.

You also might consider a twisted security cable which are difficult to cut, and lighter than a chain.

@the Ferret the point of a chain is, if available, it's anchored to something like railings, a lamppost, a tree etc. It's not just to add 20lbs to the bike! But yeah of course determined thieves will have your bike if they want it. And yup the NC, despite being arguably the greatest bike the good Lord ever created, isn't high up on the thieves priority list^^

If a bike with loaded down panniers and top box doesn't affect a 500+ lb bike, a low riding chain won't either. I'm in the alarm camp though, it's louder than an angle grinder with a towel around it.

Last edited:
Back