• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Security chain through center stand?

2wheeledJim

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm assessing what length of security chain I need to buy. I am aware that if you go through a wheel, the wheel can be removed.
So where else can you thread a security chain through on the main body of the NC700X?
I can see a gap in front of the rear spring, but it's just a bit dirty to access daily and impossible to do without brushing against the chain.

So I thought I'd just confirm that the center stand is even easier than a wheel to remove? I have no experience installing a center stand myself, although youtube seems to suggest a hammer is required to push in the pivot bolt. So perhaps removing a center stand isn't that easy? On the other hand, is it hollow and easy to bolt crop? Cheers for advice!

Edit: I can also thread a D lock around the exhaust near the left foot peg so that could be the chain anchor point. Would a thief ever go through the upper exhaust pipe??

Last edited:
In years past I went thru rear wheel and up over seat, locking the two together and making rear wheel removal impossible.

They could still pick it up though.

In the USA the NC is not very popular and not a target for thieves. I can't recall a thread discussing security.

Is it possible to thread the chain through the triangle of frame above the engine?

Yeah, unfortunately motorcycle theft in London these days isn't a pretty picture. The fact the model isn't sexy and is relatively heavy helps. But it's not unheard of that anything with wheels and an engine gets stolen.
You wouldn't expect 4 blokes to hoist an NC into a van but I bet it's happened. I'll probably just go through the rear spokes, then at least if the scumbags remove the wheel it's harder to manoeuvre than without the front. Got alarmed disc lock and tracker as well. Probably toss a cover over it in the rougher parking spots. Sigh

Edit: There isn't enough room above the engine for a 13mm or 16mm link diameter chain which is what's required to make it bolt cropper proof.

Last edited:
Thats really sad, but I'll bet in some parts of the states like New York, Chicago, Miami or San Francisco it isnt much better.

I’ve got a U lock similar to this one. It fits through the spokes on my wheel and through the rear sprocket.
I then place a full generic, non branded cover over the motorcycle. I chuckle at the full Harley Davidson covers in bright orange. It’s as if it’s advertising to come tempt yourself and take it.

If I am in a city and must park the motorcycle overnight, I also add a wire lock through the crash bars and frame and find a solid post for extra security.

I believe if a thief can’t see my motorcycle, they will be less tempted to stare at it and want to steal it.

Added bonus, I live in New York State and frequent some urban environments… sometimes.

Attachments

• 79E3FF31-2E8B-47B0-B799-8479A0E9F4CF.png
    79E3FF31-2E8B-47B0-B799-8479A0E9F4CF.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
A thief will steal anything of any value in this Yankees area, CONN. The ones I know have no respect even of themselves. I have found no mater what you do to secure your property it will not stop them only slow them down. Even if they don,t steal it they usually screw them up real bad.

Like we say on the ST forum, no self respecting Yankee motorcycle thief would steal an NC.
. Scooters, mopeds, bicycles, and now the electric bikes are the hottest items to steal. Quick turn around and resale with Facebook marketplace, and digital currency such as Apple Pay. By the time someone even reports the item stolen, it’s untraceable. Adding a gps marker to your property is the best way at reuniting yourself with your stolen ride. A good thief will scan for the signal and remove it from the ride. The drug addict will make the impulsive steal and try to sell quick.

Sad. Very sad.

Back