• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seating The Bead?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need new tires and I am thinking about mounting them myself.

I have been reviewing and studying how to dismount and mount the tires and believe I can handle it.

My concern is seating the bead because I don't have a large air compressor at my disposal.

Any tricks that help to get the bead set at a low air pressure?

Thanks

Belrix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for link!

Will I need to use a ratchet strap to expand the tire to allow it to start holding air?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had much trouble seating beads. I just use a 10 gallon portable air tank pumped up to it's maximum 125 psi with a small compressor. I usually have plenty of air supply and duration from the 10 gallons to accomplish the task. With No-Mar mounting lube on the tire bead and rim, I get a good seal and tires pop on every time. Having the tire bead lube there so the bead can slide up to mate with the rim really helps.

Don't exceed 40 or 50 psi in the tire at any time when seating beads.

I'm not a fan of using soap like many suggest. You would be leaving water in the rim. The soap is bad for the rubber. Use tire lube.

I think I had to do the ratchet strap trick once on a big 6 lug wheel boat trailer tire, but even then the 10 gallon air tank had adequate air output. I've done motorcycle and scooter tires, garden tractor tires, boat trailer tire (once to prove I could do it), and never failed to get the beads seated.

Last edited:
Thank for the reply and the advise! I think I will try and tackle my next tire change myself. :)

Next I need to determine which tools to get, leaning towards the MotionPro Beadpro or the BestRest BeadBrakR

Too many choices!

Belrix

My air chuck requires the valve stem to be in which means a low volume of air going in so I've used a ratchet strap multiple times and it works like a champ. Once it has seated and with 40-50lbs, I bounce the tire on the ground a few times while rotating it which helps to make sure it is fully seated all the way around. Seating the bead has always been the easy part of changing the tire.

For tire irons I have 4 of the short MotionPros which also go with me on trips. For home use I've had multiple people, including a shop, tell me 3 of the long MotionPro, which have a curved end, are the way to go.

My air chuck requires the valve stem to be in which means a low volume of air going in ...

That works, but it's the hard way. Swap the tire chuck for a rubber tipped blow gun. Remove the valve core from the stem and apply a high volume of air from the blow gun directly into the stem. It works like magic. Once the tire is properly seated on the rim it will stay put even after the air pressure is removed. Reinstall the valve stem and swap the blow gun for the tire chuck and inflate to spec pressure.

-Saturday

Back