• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Save your ears! Wear ear plugs!

My wife worries about me not hearing what's going on around me my full faced helmet blocks a lot of sound wouldn't eat plugs be a bad thing

Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL)

This is a decent article you should read. A helmet will not protect you from hearing loss.

All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle - 150: Hearing Loss

•A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB – not loud enough to cause damage.
•A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
•When listening to a personal music system with stock earphones at a maximum volume, the sound generated can reach a level of over 100 dBA, loud enough to begin causing permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
•A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.

I have tinitus in both ears and substancial hearing loss in my right ear. My problems stem from being around heavy machine gun fire but I don't want it to get any worse. I'm only 49. I wear hearing protection at work and on the bike. Something is better than nothing. Also, you can go out and buy the best ear plugs on the market but if you don't wear them correctly they are doing you no good. That may sound like a dumb comment but many people do not wear thier earplugs correctly.

Last edited:
Both my Wife and I have suffered eardrum damage from helmet noise over the years. One actually becomes impervious to it and as a result one does not realise the damage being done. I started using them many years ago. It was difficult to get used to them at first , but now I could not be without them. Wife on the other hand stuck it out for much longer. Only in the past two years did she start to use them, but too late. There is permanent damage, with tinnitus in one of her ears. Her problem was getting plugs small enough for her very small ear canals. She couldn't find them anywhere. One day I was in the Kawasaki shop and a set were offered to me for her. They are Kawasaki branded. You get 4 or 5 pairs of different sized plugs. When you decide on a set that fits you then fit the filters inside them. These were the only ones that worked for her. They are also washable. Again, she cannot now be without them and even uses them in rooms where she is taking part in functions with a lot of "people noise" involved.

Link as follows KAWASAKI EAR PLUGS

It is inaudible subsonic under helmet buffeting causing exposure time additive damage to the sensitive ear mechanism even if audible high pitch noise is well suppressed by the full face helmet.
However I just got some incredible ear plugs where you can hear voice but not noise. *Much better than the foam ones, easy to put in and come with a handy container. *"No Noise"*
NoNoise Motorsport Noise Filter Hearing Protection - TwistedThrottle.com

They should work: They look like properly re-engineered etymotic research ER-20 which are a bit too long for helmet use.

Since I have always been noise sensitive, I copy-paste here most of a related post of mine from other forums for anyone interested in:

I tested a Windjammer-hifi earplugs combo setup on a mixed mainly tarmac round trip of 450 kms.
I gladly report that this combination works well, with each product complimenting the other for a very good overall result, at least on my noisy Shoei Multitec.

While I did the trip on a DR650SE (mostly secondary roads, a bit of dirt roads and a quite a bit of secondary and main highways), speeds were hovering around 120-130kphs with constant headwind of 5-6 beauforts for much of the trip - this means helmet windstreams of 170-180kphs for big stretches on my screen-less DR.
Of course, other parts of the trip meant I got to test under various wind direction and speeds. I even stopped to take the windjammer off 5-6 times to see what difference it made to just wearing the hifi ear-plugs.

Results?
This has been the most noise-relaxed trip I have done in my 20 years of riding! Wish I thought of this combo much earlier!
Why? Noise was very low, no problem at all, while I was not deaf like with normal ear plugs.

The earplugs I used are these:http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html. They are sound-engineer-grade attenuating flat-enough the whole audio spectrum: When you wear them the noise goes down a lot but you are not becoming deaf like with the usual foam plugs.
I have had them for years but they were no good against the subsonic under helmet buffeting and related mid-low hz secondary generated noise so I did not use them since I am a bit anal on noise (studied audio recording engineering 20 years ago).
Well, here comes the Windjammer (Motorcycle Helmet Wind Blocker - webBikeWorld )cutting all under helmet buffeting and related noise annoyances.
The combo means that all noise (including the Multitec 300-500Hz annoying wind generated range) goes down a lot while I can still hear what's going on around me.
Things got so quiet that for the very first time I realized that on the DR at travel speeds there is engine noise in the 200Hz range traveling up the seat through my skeleton to my ears! Up my bum - no noise, down I sat, there it was!

Only be aware that these particular model of earplugs is a bit long and can touch the helmet directly causing very-very uncomfortable low range noises.Make sure that the ear sockets of the helmet are deep enough if you want to get them.
Also, the helmet's ventilation takes a hit - I traveled at most 25C and I think that above this temperature things become uncomfortable heat-wise... Well, can't have it all..

Last edited:
This is one of those things that once you get used to it, there is no going back. I used to only wear them on the track and never on the road. I went on a weekend trip and decided to wear them and loved it. I will never go back without again! It took me a while to find the right plugs that fit well with my helmets and ears, but it's worth the effort of trial and error to find the right ones. My sister is a audiologist, so she's always harping about doing everything I can to save my hearing.

Also, on another hearing note, mowing, weed eating, leaf blowing, etc. should also be done while wearing hearing protection. Shoving ear buds and listening to music (even moderately loud) is just as bad.

I keep two pairs of Surefire earplugs in the frunk. They're a little pricey (~$12 a pair) but I find them all day long comfortable, unlike the expanding foam ones.

I just get the cheap ones from CVS, expanding foam.
I "borrowed" a pair of my fathers expanding foam ones, they were the more expensive ones... I found I could hear and could barely feel the engine at speed, was constantly looking down at the tach, and not at the road. Cheap ones let me hear the motor, but block the pressure waves from the wind.

Though I only really use them when I plan on getting on the highway (and occasional even then I forget, generally kicking myself for it at the on ramp.)

I'm gonna say it....Riding with earplugs or music will decrease your awareness and reaction time. With all the moto vlog going on currently distractions seem always present. I love the entertainment, but riding in itself takes enough concentration. "Do It With Dan" has been taking up my time. Talking while riding is wayy less intrusive than not hearing.

I'm gonna say it....Riding with earplugs or music will decrease your awareness and reaction time. With all the moto vlog going on currently distractions seem always present. I love the entertainment, but riding in itself takes enough concentration. "Do It With Dan" has been taking up my time. Talking while riding is wayy less intrusive than not hearing.

Earplugs may reduce my reaction time, but without them I will damage my hearing. Riding deaf will be far worse. I do not get on my motorcycle without earplugs.

I respect your opinion but disagree on the earplug statement. I don't like music as I think it is distracting to me so we agree there. With earplugs I found I actually was more focused. It seemed to take some of the high end noise away that I actually didn't notice until I wore the earplugs. This helped focus me more on the environment and my riding. Having ridden with and without ear plugs, I prefer the ear plugs.

You're, of course, entitled to your opinion and choice in wearing hearing protection or not. There are, however, completely different ways of looking at the same topic. For me, my awareness and focus are greatly improved when not distracted and annoyed by wind noise. Also, on long trips the noise causes additional fatigue, which impairs focus, awareness, and reaction time as the day wears on.

I am hearing impaired from birth and cannot afford to further lose any hearing capability. Folks that have normal hearing may not see this as important, but hearing impairment resulting from excess noise exposure will make it more difficult to work, socialize, and enjoy audio entertainment. One may not realize that inconvenience until the damage is already done.

In almost 20K miles of NC riding I may have been without ear plugs for only a few hundred miles.

Last edited:
Back