• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sat nav cable route?

Jelly

Reaction score
Visit site
This has probably been covered before but I've got more chance of being able to fly the space shuttle than being able to use the search system!

Anyhow, those of you who have sat navs powered by a socket in the frunk, how do you route the power lead?

Just out of the frunk and to the sat nav or has anyone found a route without it showing?

I'm thinking a hole drilled in the front of the frunk inner lining, but I don't know what's being there or how to get at it, is the frunk liner removable?

I think many of us run the GPS off a dedicated power cable wired directly off the battery or a switched power source and run the cable out of the frunk openings on either side of the battery. This path doesn't exit the maintenance cover or the frunk lid.

This has probably been covered before but I've got more chance of being able to fly the space shuttle than being able to use the search system!

Anyhow, those of you who have sat navs powered by a socket in the frunk, how do you route the power lead?

Just out of the frunk and to the sat nav or has anyone found a route without it showing?

I'm thinking a hole drilled in the front of the frunk inner lining, but I don't know what's being there or how to get at it, is the frunk liner removable?

Do you have the OEM Honda socket in the frunk or an aftermarket one?

If I had the OEM Honda one, I wouldn't use it to power a GPS (just my preference, I would be afraid of the GPS maybe killing the little tiny 1amp glass fuse buried under all the bodywork. I would be ***** if I was relying on that alone for my GPS and it went :kablooie:

If you have a more robust aftermarket socket with a better rated, better accessible, easier to replace blade fuse, and specifically wanted to use it for GPS duties, then I would oval out a wee slot for the wire to fit, in between the battery cover and the frunk, *in the battery cover, not the frunk liner* and fish the wire out under/beside the battery and up to your dash or bars, whatever.

Oh, and agreed with Dave on doing it the other way as my personal liking, but some people want to do it a certain way, and resist doing it any other, so it's sometimes a tough sell to persuade them, lol. Not mentioning any names, heehee.;)

I think I would avoid drilling in my frunk. Seems it may be a fine opportunity for a water leak I like the idea of a separate outlet with a larger fuse.

Do you have the OEM Honda socket in the frunk or an aftermarket one?

If I had the OEM Honda one, I wouldn't use it to power a GPS (just my preference, I would be afraid of the GPS maybe killing the little tiny 1amp glass fuse buried under all the bodywork. I would be ***** if I was relying on that alone for my GPS and it went :kablooie:.

Guess after 12,000 miles I am on borrowed time.

I think I would avoid drilling in my frunk. Seems it may be a fine opportunity for a water leak I like the idea of a separate outlet with a larger fuse.

I drilled a hole in the wall the faces the front of the bike. At the bottom. Its been that way for almost a year. I ride in all weather situations and I have never had a drop of water enter the frunk. In my situation it has not been a problem.

I drilled a hole in the wall the faces the front of the bike. At the bottom. Its been that way for almost a year. I ride in all weather situations and I have never had a drop of water enter the frunk. In my situation it has not been a problem.

I did the same with the tender lead, a little hole and a direct hook to the battery.no water,or snow yet.

I think many of us run the GPS off a dedicated power cable wired directly off the battery or a switched power source and run the cable out of the frunk openings on either side of the battery. This path doesn't exit the maintenance cover or the frunk lid.

Nana Chou is done just like dduelin states. However, I am going to hook up a power plug in the frunk, as I need two charging outlets for charging all my stuff during the night.

SmileyHugeEyesandTeeth.jpg

00.jpg

Thanks for the insights guys, I already have the Honda 12v socket fitted in the frunk.

What is under the plastic just in front of the frunk lid?

If you take the 2 screws out of the panel in front of the frunk you will find the battery.the panel that holds the tool set or maps in my case with the rubber band.

Back