• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Saddle Sore 1K CA planned

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
(I apologize for the regional nature of this post. I hope no one minds.)

I'm planning to lead an organized Saddle Sore 1000 for IBA Certification on 20 June 2014 (Friday at Midnight).
If you'd like to have this certification and the right to have this License plate backing, then PM me to sign up.
ibaplat2.jpg
The Rules for the SS1K are HERE. (best to print out the forms from PDF rather than from the web page.)
The route starts from where I-10 crosses I-15. (California near Rancho Cucamonga, 50 miles E of L.A.)
The map looks like this.
ss1k_2.jpg
I will send you the spreadsheet of planned gas stops for your GPS if you PM me.
(all gas/food/restroom stops are approx. 180 miles apart.)

The ride will finish sometime between 20:00 hrs and 23:00 hrs on Saturday 21 June if we start at Midnight on Friday.

Caution: You are 100% responsible for your own safety. I assume NO responsibility for ANY outcome.

As people "sign up" over PM, I'll post list of riders.
Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
Cool idea to plan a SS1000 with a group of NC owners! As you and I have discussed, I plan to do mine very soon. Unfortunately, the weekend you have planned (6/20) I will be in Tahoe with the lady at our cabin. Hope you guys get a decent group and add a few new riders to the Iron Butt club!

P.S. I have no idea how many riders reside down in your neck of the woods, but being ~400 miles from my house to the start point would certainly make it tough for me to travel down there and then ride +1,000 miles. I don't have a solution to this, just stating my thoughts on meet up location.

Last edited:
Cool idea to plan a SS1000 with a group of NC owners! As you and I have discussed, I plan to do mine very soon. Unfortunately, the weekend you have planned (6/20) I will be in Tahoe with the lady at our cabin. Hope you guys get a decent group and add a few new riders to the Iron Butt club!

P.S. I have no idea how many riders reside down in your neck of the woods, but being ~400 miles from my house to the start point would certainly make it tough for me to travel down there and then ride +1,000 miles. I don't have a solution to this, just stating my thoughts on meet up location.

I'm planning to do another one in Central Cal, then another in Northern Cal!
You gotta start somewhere.

I'm planning to do another one in Central Cal, then another in Northern Cal!
You gotta start somewhere.

Sounds cool, Strat. I've been starting to think about wanting to do this some day too. Central Cali is right up my alley! Besides having other obligations around the 20th. It would almost be a SS1000 for me just to get to the route you are planning for this trip. Hopefully next time, when you want to do a Central Cali one, if I've got enough advanced noticed I might be up for it.

I'll have to give this some serious thought.
The route looks good with easy riding the whole way. ;)

It occurs to me that riders who live within range can count the miles to get to the "start" and subtract from the "finish"... that is... when you realize you've hit 1000 during the ride, you can just wave, split off from the ride, and go home.

OR.... you can use a GPS to know when to break away and go home will still put you over 1000.

Witnesses: I'm planning to sign for the start/finish "witness" on the attendant paperwork available HERE. Usually, you can have a significant other at your house do that for you. The time stamped gas receipts are the real proof. It's good practice to get a time stamped start AND FINISH gas receipt. The paperwork also has you log your odometer reading at every gas stop.

Mapping... make sure to use google maps to map out your route (including to/from home) so you can print it out when you send in your documentation.... unless you plan to just use the one in the original post.

Food: Plan on eating out of gas station convenience stores. Power bars are good...gatorade to drink works well.

CC Gas: Expect your credit card to NOT authorize at least once. About the time you start charging gas in odd places your CC company is used to seeing, you might have to go inside to pay. That happens at least once on every trip I go on.

Last edited:
this is just a shameless "bump" to make sure folks see this.

If no one shows up, I'll do another Bun Burner 1500..... just to have something to do!

Good on you for planning this out, Strat. Maybe more would like to do this, but just lack the "where do I start" impetus, and goal oriented organizational mindset. (I know I'm sorely lacking there, lol)

I'm up for the Cen Cal ride if the timing works out.

HERE IS THE MAP for the central California loop I came up with.

If there's interest, then maybe we could set a date? At some point, folks will realize they don't need my help to do this.
ss1k_cc.jpg
here are the way points and gas stops.

Total
turlock, ca memorial park37.492920, -120.8673831066
Chevron Bakersfield, 5201 Olive Dr, Bakersfield, CA 9330835.411948, -119.057579185
valencia waypoint (no gas stop)34.441613, -118.608416
76 Gas, 1298 Coast Village Rd, Santa Barbara, CA 9310834.421831, -119.640280145
Mobil, 2401 Golden Hill Rd, Paso Robles, CA 9344635.645622, -120.658417128
kettleman city, ca (no gas stop)35.986127, -119.964462
Chevron Gustine, 32923 Sullivan Rd, Gustine, CA 9532237.246435, -121.084578161
Chevron Williams, 505 4th St, Williams, CA 9598739.155699, -122.145826160
Redbluff (no gas stop)40.181406, -122.223349
Chevron Yuba City, 1273 Bridge St, Yuba City, CA 9599139.132664, -121.633917159
turlock, ca memorial park37.492920, -120.867383128

NB: all the gas stops are just about 180 miles apart... that's the NCs safe "range".
I tried to stay away from the desert areas to avoid summer heat.

Last edited:
Here's the picture of the map... sorry it's a tiny, ubuntu saves as ping and I'm too tired to fix it now.
(here's the re-scaled cropped picture)
ss1k_cc.jpg

Attachments

• ss1k_middle.jpg
    ss1k_middle.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Looks like a good, varied route. I have to haul a grandkid to North Dakota to play college football sometime this summer, as soon as he figures out the date I'll let you know.

Hey Strat - where would the 'Nor Cal' route begin and end? The Central route isn't too bad for me either, but if you started the Nor Cal route anywhere in the bay area that would be ideal for me, obviously. I agree with your comment about not needing the group to do this, but group riding is more fun!

Hey Strat - where would the 'Nor Cal' route begin and end? The Central route isn't too bad for me either, but if you started the Nor Cal route anywhere in the bay area that would be ideal for me, obviously. I agree with your comment about not needing the group to do this, but group riding is more fun!

I'll start working on a Nor Cal loop.
I need your advice...where should it begin and end?

Avoid heavily populated areas. I live in So. Cal, and I would never start, pass through, end any loop in L.A.

Last edited:
I maybe down for the the cen cal ride pending when it is. And if work/ duty schedule permits. Also possibly interested in nor cal pending where it starts.

Central California Ride on June 27 starting at midnight will finish in the evening on Sat the 28th.
PM me if you'd like to attend.

starting point is Turlock Memorial Park.37.492920, -120.867383

Back