• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Road trip-Nascar-702 miles-2.5 Days!!

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Took a last minute road trip this weekend to the NRA 500 Sprint Cup Race in Fort Worth. It was myself and a buddy of mine on his FJR. We scored tickets the night before (half price frontstretch tickets!!) we left rather than be at the mercy of scalpers at the track.

Our Route:
Route.jpg

Packed light for such a short trip. The "frunk" was for quick need items and electronics that I wanted to keep dry and close. Used a dry bag (provided with the Aero bags) for my clothes and packed flip flops, light jacket and a few other items in the other bag.
DSC02821.jpg

DSC02837.jpg

On the road:
DSC02824.jpg

I met my buddy about 30 miles up the road from where I work (we both left from our places of business). Took the back roads up to Greenville,Tx to visit with his mom and stay the night. It was a nice ride and took a bit over 5 hours. We pulled up at dusk. Unpacked, had a late dinner and turned in for the night. Woke up early for a light breakfast and visited a bit more before hitting the road.

Normally you would want to be at a Nascar track at the crack of dawn to get a spot as far from the track as possible. But, since this was a night race (6:30pm start) and we were on the bikes the strategy was different. Late start and parking waaaay up close to the track. This also changed out normal exit strategy, which is not to exit (we've brought the wives and the RV the last two times). We picked a laps left limit if neither of our drivers was in contention (his, Tony Stewart, was a non-factor...mine, Jeff Gordon, was up until about 30 laps to go) so we were able to fly out of the track and out of the area.

DSC02729.jpg

Let's go racing!!

DSC02790.jpg

After leaving the track we headed south to Ennis, Tx and grabbed a room for the night. Got an early start for the ride home. It was about 240 miles to my house from the hotel. We went all freeway on the way back, so we averaged about 80mph with no traffic. Made one stop to top of for the home stretch.

Final pit stop:
DSC02823.jpg

Some odd metal sculptures that I pass buy all the time. This time I stopped and took a pic:

DSC02826.jpg

Another photo op close to home:

DSC02831.jpg

Made it!!!!

DSC02833.jpg

Thought on the NC700X over 702 miles:

The bike performed quite nicely. We had pretty mild conditions and no rain. Average fuel economy over the course of the trip was about 55mpg (the fast last 200 miles brought down the average).

The Aero sidecases are fantastic. Plenty of room for everything I needed with room to spare. Removed them when we stayed the night in Ennis as there were some shady folks about!

The "frunk" is the best thing since bacon!! So useful for things you need quickly, nicely secure. I added a power outlet so my phone was always charged.

The seat? I'm not one that has a problem with it. I was comfortable the entire trip, aside from normal fatigue from sitting so long. I would scoot up onto the passenger pad from time to time, was almost like a massage! :p

I never had any trouble keeping up the the much bigger and more powerful FJR. I did wish for maybe a half gallon more in my tank so I could match the FJ's range, but it was really no big deal since we stopped every 100 miles or so.

Got into a few gas station conversations with the curious and knowledgeable. The curious were amazed by the "frunk", the knowledgeable wanted to know if it was as good as the magazines say.

All in all, this trip just affirms the this bike was a great choice for the kind of riding I want to do with a smaller bike.

Well, that's it for now!

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice trip. Thanks for the pics. Did I notice added lights mounted on the front fender? What are they and how did you mount them?

Sounds like a nice trip, and some nice pics.

You MPG doesn't make me feel so bad. I think 75+ mph kills the mpg. I averaged about the same mpg on my 2k mile interstate mostly trip.

Back