• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding with gloves

ShipofFools

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding with Mechanix gloves for about a year and I love them. I recently bought a pair of real motorcycle gloves to get more protection, but just couldn't work with them. I had to take them off and switch back to my Mechanix gloves after 10 minutes.

I know they're safer and everything, but how do y'all ride with bulky motorcycle gloves? You can't feel anything and it feels like I've stuck my hands in cardboard. Funny enough, I used to ride with motorcycle gloves and went through 4 pairs of them until a year ago, but I can't seem to control the bike as well with the bike gloves.

Had a similar problem adjusting when I went from no gloves to leather gloves. Then from normal gloves to heated winter gloves. There's a lot of different gloves with varying degrees of feel depending on material, thickness, etc. There are padded and more protective gloves that will be similar in feel to your Mechanix gloves. With leather gloves, the quality of the gloves affect how much you are able to feel and how soft they are. Normally reflected by the price, just like with everything else. Once you get used to thicker gloves to begin with, then it's just a matter of degrees and you get used to wearing almost anything. You'll have to go to a shop and try a whole bunch out. Good luck!

I hate the feel of heavy winter gloves. I don't feel the controls as well as I like. But for summer I have a pair of Icon and a pair of Scorpion. They both are pretty comfortable for summer use. Winter i just suffer through it.

I agree, I don't like winter gloves, I loose that special touch on the grips. I use Lee Parks deer skin gloves, they don't have any knuckle protection and they are a bit pricey. However, they feel GREAT and I'm pleased with them. I'd like to try some gloves with knuckle protection but one issue I have is 99 degrees and 99% humidity...I know, dress for the fall and not the weather.

Try some thin rubber laytex gloves under your gloves.they work like a windbreaker jacket.they help out in cooler weather.

Mechanix gloves are not going to do much if anything for you if you go down at anything more than a fast jog. Comparable to wearing jeans and a sweatshirt for the rest of your body.

Gloves are like so many other things, everyone has their preference and what works for one doesn't work for another. Just try on a lot of different gloves till you find something that works. They have to be at least comfortable from the get go for you to wear them long enough to break in and actually get comfortable. Don't buy something that doesn't at least feel OK hoping that it will magically become comfortable.

I hate winter gloves, too. But I couldn't ride bare-handed or in something as flimsy as mechanix. It's probably easier since I never got used to riding without them in the first place, but I can't imagine losing a hand or even the dexterity loss that would go along with my hand being sanded by pavement in a crash.

I don't mind fat winter gloves as long as my hands and especially finger tips don't get too cold. This year, I also have some brush guards installed. That should help a bit.

Keep using the motorcycle gloves. They take a while to break in. I've had some that we're go to go right out of the box and the ones I'm using presently took a month of everyday riding but they feel good now. I think I could pick my nose with them! :rolleyes:

I usually carry three sets in the frunk. Heavy Winter gloves, Middle not so heavy, and mesh textile gloves for Summer. I just choose what I need as conditions change.

You can try dirt bike gloves. That's what I wear for the 'warm season' as they are well ventilated. When it gets colder, I migrate to my leather gloves and sometimes I wear those with glove liners for even colder days.

I've been riding with Mechanix gloves for about a year and I love them. I recently bought a pair of real motorcycle gloves to get more protection, but just couldn't work with them. I had to take them off and switch back to my Mechanix gloves after 10 minutes.

I know they're safer and everything, but how do y'all ride with bulky motorcycle gloves? You can't feel anything and it feels like I've stuck my hands in cardboard. Funny enough, I used to ride with motorcycle gloves and went through 4 pairs of them until a year ago, but I can't seem to control the bike as well with the bike gloves.

Sounds to me that you have selected the wrong gloves for your style of riding.

Mesh gloves are intended for warm weather riding. I have been using these for many years, Joe Rocket Gel Palm Mesh Gloves.

16277_6.jpg

The "Bulky Gauntlet Gloves" are intended for cold weather riding for warmth. I've have a set of Olympia Aqua-Tex for over 13 years.

olympia-ultima-1-gloves.jpg

I've wore them in the rain at times. They have done me very well over all those years.

I do the same us Ed Up. I wear a set of Icons in the summer. In the winter? Got no choice but to wear thick gloves. You get used to it although I'm not saying I like them. My winter gloves are heated which reduces the thickness at bit but it still isn't the same as the Icons. Just something you have to deal with if you plan to ride year round.

I strongly recommend some good gloves. Road rash on your palms can be catastrophic.

This could be as basic as buying the right motorcycle gloves for you. Not all good gloves are bulky. Good quality leather in palms for road rash protection is minimum. Some armor on the knuckles is also a good feature. Winter riding I assume is not your issue as the mechanics gloves provide no insulation.

Find a motorcycle shop with a large selection and try on some different ones.

Keep using the motorcycle gloves. They take a while to break in. I've had some that we're go to go right out of the box and the ones I'm using presently took a month of everyday riding but they feel good now. I think I could pick my nose with them! :rolleyes:

I bought an Aldi pair. Not the best brand but Ok. Do you have that store over there?
They were real stiff to start with but good after a month or so.

I wore Spartan leather gauntlet gloves in the winter. They do take some getting used to. My hands don't feel as dexterous. The warmth wins out though. Just get used to them, is all I can say.

For the summer, I wore thin leather or cloth dirt bike gloves.

Having crashed with no gloves, and smashing my finger, my next gloves will be those Mad Max looking things with the hard armor.

After an unfortunate incident involving no gloves and a ditch, I decided that I would not be caught on the bike again without something on my hands. My palms were fine, but picking gravel, dirt and twigs out of the back of your hands is not pleasant. I would say Mechanix are better than nothing, like jeans are better than shorts. However, my jean clad legs didn't come out any better than my gloveless hands. I ride ATGATT now. Go to shops and shows and gatherings, etc. and try on gloves until you find the ones that work best for you. It's funny that you brought this up. I'm in the market for a new pair of cold weather gloves, but haven't found the right ones yet.

I, too, carry a pair or 2 of gloves in the frunk, just in case the weather turns on me. The rain glove cover is an excellent idea on long trips. I will have to get myself a few pairs.

Back