• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

riding in the dirt and highway

Dominican

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I am currently riding a Ninja 500R, and I am close to putting it away for the winter. I will be putting it up for sale come the spring and am really considering the NC700X as a replacement. Before I get it, I do have a few questions though. My primary reason for me wanting to get another motorcycle is to ride out to a faraway place. go through some trails, go exploring, camp for a few nights, and then come back home. I live about 20 minutes north of NYC, so that means to get anywhere interesting, I need to ride for a quite a while. I already know the seat can be uncomfortable for some people for long distances, but how about the handling? Is it stable on super slab?

Is it nimble enough for NYC riding?

And the most important question, with some light modification, will it be ok in the dirt? For example, if I put some 60/40 dirt/pavement tires on it, put some crash bars and (when it is available) a belly pan, would I be able to slowly go through some dirt trails designed for for dirt bikes? I've ridden around a Honda CRF230L, and on the dirt it is wonderful, and I know the NC wouldn't be able to handle the same on the dirt as the CRF, but can it at least go through it, even if slowly? What are your thoughts...

I've looked online for discussions regarding the dirtability of the NC, but there isn't much. On this site, there is almost no talk of taking it to the dirt. Let's start discussing it. I know Bimmerfile has found a place online to outfit the NC with some dirt tires, and has talked about farkling it a bit to get it to ride on the dirt better, but I want more opinions and discussions....

Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I am currently riding a Ninja 500R, and I am close to putting it away for the winter. I will be putting it up for sale come the spring and am really considering the NC700X as a replacement. Before I get it, I do have a few questions though. My primary reason for me wanting to get another motorcycle is to ride out to a faraway place. go through some trails, go exploring, camp for a few nights, and then come back home. I live about 20 minutes north of NYC, so that means to get anywhere interesting, I need to ride for a quite a while. I already know the seat can be uncomfortable for some people for long distances, but how about the handling? Is it stable on super slab?

Is it nimble enough for NYC riding?

And the most important question, with some light modification, will it be ok in the dirt? For example, if I put some 60/40 dirt/pavement tires on it, put some crash bars and (when it is available) a belly pan, would I be able to slowly go through some dirt trails designed for for dirt bikes? I've ridden around a Honda CRF230L, and on the dirt it is wonderful, and I know the NC wouldn't be able to handle the same on the dirt as the CRF, but can it at least go through it, even if slowly? What are your thoughts...

I've looked online for discussions regarding the dirtability of the NC, but there isn't much. On this site, there is almost no talk of taking it to the dirt. Let's start discussing it. I know Bimmerfile has found a place online to outfit the NC with some dirt tires, and has talked about farkling it a bit to get it to ride on the dirt better, but I want more opinions and discussions....

In my humble opinion, it's more about the individual's own skill and expertise, and their determination to go where they want to go, than what they happen to be on.

ANY bike, can be misused totally against its intended purpose, and depending on the rider, they can either fail miserably, or have an absolute blast.

I would (and am going to, as soon as I get an NCX) chuck some more aggressive dirt-ish tires on the bike, maybe some basic engine bars and radiator protection, some barkbusters, either be deathly careful/slow going over pointy rocks, or cobble up a belly pan skidplate, and go have a awesome time!

I can go places off road on my bald street tired F800ST BMW, that my buddy with his knobbie tire equipped Yamaha Super Tenere can't. Is an 800ST a better off road bike than a Super Tenere? Bahahaha holy gawd, no! That's hilarious to even contemplate! lol. But *I* can, whereas *he* can't.

Compromises with the 700X being a "street bike" versus an" ADV bike"? Hell ya, there are lots. It's not a motocross bike, and I know that.

At 475 pounds, the NCX is rather heavy. (Hang on...the Tenere weighs over 575 lbs...oof!) Sure, the 700X has less ground clearance and less suspension travel than a "real adventure bike", (Hang on...my buddy and I spent a bastard of a lung bursting exhausting time, digging his Super Ten out of the soft sand he was stuck up to its belly in, when my 800ST slithered through it with no problems whatsoever...) Etc., etc., etc. (PS, I love Super Tens, and would buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford to!)

Dude, go for it and don't look back, except to smile in the rear view mirrors.

Last edited:
I've done it.

The first thing I did was ditch the BT023 tires. Anyone want to buy a fresh set?

Keep in mind the supsension is stiff in the first few thousand miles! If you know how to ride dual sport you'll be up off the seat now and then. What makes a seat most uncomfortable is when you sit in one place too long - period.

And like poster #2 said - it's all in your ability. I score 100 points on an MSF street riding skills test, but my ability stretches way beyond that. I do about 4-8k miles a year on gravel.

The NCX is not a trails bike and you'd be nuts to push it to that point (niether is the Tenere FTM). But it does well on smooth gravel roads with the right tires. I'm running Avon Distanzias (80/20). Good luck finding a matched set of 17" 60/40 tires. The photo above is interesting. I never run 60/40 tires because they suck on the highway and I can ride 80/20's all day on trails with a lighter bike.

So like he said - go for it and don't look back - just make sure you have the skills already, and if not, spend $1K and buy a used 250cc bike and get your skills together.

Last words of advice - carry a 17" inner-tube. VOE.

Last edited:
Back