• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding gear retailers in Los Angeles?

I was impressed with Chaparral when I was in CA last summer but I live in FL. Chaparral was the only shop I visited in CA.

I've been there a few times in the past. Do not be taken in by their shear size. I am not pointing the finger at anyone on or making any accusations. The bottom-line for establishments of this type, size and number of employees is to make the sale not matter what or whatever it takes keep the business going. I've walked out of there every time without buying anything for other reasons.

If you do go there, stay away from any gear sold under the "BILT" brand.

Most these items are poorly made fall apart in a short while.

I do have a few Bilt things I've been happy with, but in general you're right. I've been amused (and grateful) to see that their salespeople usually steer me away from the Bilt brand. They know what's up.

If you do go there, stay away from any gear sold under the "BILT" brand.

Most these items are poorly made fall apart in a short while. I refer to these items as entry level items or please refer to the image below.

View attachment 23316

Don't completely dismiss Bilt gear. I agree that for a daily rider, Bilt gear is not what to get, but even within the Bilt brand there are bad and not so bad products. Also, the Bilt gear is perfect for the casual rider that doesn't wear their gear more than once a month, which is probably more than 50% of the motorcyclist out there. When a new rider wants to go and get gear and you tell them it is going to be $1000-$1500 for a full set of top quality gear (ie helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves), they either say forget it and don't ride at all, or don't wear the gear, both of which are not good for motorcycling in general. However you can walk into a CycleGear and get completely outfitted for around $250, and if they have the gear they will be more likely to wear it, then if they actually end up riding a lot they will likely upgrade to better gear as they can afford it. Is the Bilt gear as safe, comfortable, and durable as Schuberth/Aerostitch/Sidi/etc, NO, is it better than jeans, running shoes, and a t-shirt on a bike, absolutely.

Back