• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replacement Battery

Last year (or 2 yrs back), I changed to the same battery as recommended by Honda manual.
It cost a bit more than 100usd but it holds it charge better.

Caution about Gel battery, it will require a different charger and charging cycle compared to Acid-Water cells.
I don't think the weight saving is any reason to buy a Gel-Cell.

One thing more I did not mention about my recent trade reason. My bike battery / charging system was behaving strangely. I leave the bike charging on a trickle charger for weeks. It started right up with 1 single press. After riding for 20 minutes on highway, say 10km, I stopped. Then almost immediately I try to restart the bike. I press button but the starter is like "stuck" with no batter juice. I gotta wait a few seconds (say 20) and then it could start again (somewhat reluctantly).

So what is the problem? Charging system? Magneto coil? Overcharged battery?

I gave up trying to find the electrical problem, and I am now waiting for my next motorcycle. I know some will criticize me for being impatient etc, but life's too short to be stuck roadside with a dead battery (even new one).

:p

I am also looking for a newer battery, although mine is showing to be fully charged at 12.9! I am experiencing some of the same things happy is describing, I am troubled with the timing almost exactly after 5 years of use, even though I have always used a battery tender, one has got to wonder if the quality of things is as good as back in the day...

I am also leaning towards something less expensive anyways, more than likely it will have to be replaced somewhat sooner than later.

Are you sure? You’ve to wait at least 2-3 hours after fully charging... A Yuasa battery at 12.9 V indicates that it can hold almost 100% of its named capacity. Of course you need a load test to be sure.

5 years is usually the mean lifetime. If you’ve noticed lately we’ve an increase in power without an increase to size & weight. In the contrary the weight is less. That means more porous/spongy plates, less lead...

They perform better now but they’ve decreased lifetime. Also note that the battery location on the NC is not the best. It’s very hot there and heat is the #1 enemy of a battery...

I am seeing a lot of hate and controversy regarding the Gel Cell from many people on this forum. So much that is has planted a seed of doubt in my mind. I have not installed it and will probably return it now.

I bought it off of Amazon and they have "Hassle Free" returns, so it will be going back. Thanks, for raining on my parade. :(

I will probably buy a Scorpion from Battery Stuff, unless someone has something nasty to say about them too.

I’m afraid any controversy is fed just by ignorance and some dealers. These black boxes have an history of about 150 years so they’re very well documented. There is no room for controversies and debates. Everything is pretty clear and published by some reliable sources.

There is no better battery types yet. Every type / technology has its own field of application (usage, environmental conditions, etc) and needs (charging voltage, control, etc).

Just stay to the specs (battery type, capacity & CCA).

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University mentioned previously is a great reliable source to learn the basics about every battery technology!

I’m afraid any controversy is fed just by ignorance and some dealers. These black boxes have an history of about 150 years so they’re very well documented. There is no room for controversies and debates. Everything is pretty clear and published by some reliable sources.

There is no better battery types yet. Every type / technology has its own field of application (usage, environmental conditions, etc) and needs (charging voltage, control, etc).

Just stay to the specs (battery type, capacity & CCA).

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University mentioned previously is a great reliable source to learn the basics about every battery technology!

I am seeing a lot of hate and controversy regarding the Gel Cell from many people on this forum. So much that is has planted a seed of doubt in my mind. I have not installed it and will probably return it now.

I bought it off of Amazon and they have "Hassle Free" returns, so it will be going back. Thanks, for raining on my parade. :(

I will probably buy a Scorpion from Battery Stuff, unless someone has something nasty to say about them too.

Just for the record, I have nothing against using the right GEL CELL. It does need a special charger as opposed to the charger for normal lead-acid batteries.

As for people wanting to buy the GEL CELL to save a few grams on this bike, I think that is not the reason to buy one.

I personally would buy one if and only if I have the right charger.

Stay cool guys. A forum is a great place to learn things.

I am also looking for a newer battery, although mine is showing to be fully charged at 12.9! I am experiencing some of the same things happy is describing, I am troubled with the timing almost exactly after 5 years of use, even though I have always used a battery tender, one has got to wonder if the quality of things is as good as back in the day...

I am also leaning towards something less expensive anyways, more than likely it will have to be replaced somewhat sooner than later.

Thank God, I thought I was going nuts that I have a lemon (after 5 yrs). I suspect it is the charging system on the bike or something being overheated etc.
However, as I said, I am too lazy and impatient to find out the root cause.

Just for the record, I have nothing against using the right GEL CELL. It does need a special charger as opposed to the charger for normal lead-acid batteries.

As for people wanting to buy the GEL CELL to save a few grams on this bike, I think that is not the reason to buy one.

I personally would buy one if and only if I have the right charger.

Stay cool guys. A forum is a great place to learn things.
Not only a charger but the charging system too (to be precise a compatible regulator / rectifier).

You don’t really save anything. It doesn’t worth it... LiFePO4 is the cheapest way to save a lot of weight!

Thank God, I thought I was going nuts that I have a lemon (after 5 yrs). I suspect it is the charging system on the bike or something being overheated etc.
However, as I said, I am too lazy and impatient to find out the root cause.
It seems that 5, 5 and something years is the maximum lifetime for NC’s batteries because they’re in the most hot area of the bike.

I doubt you have a problem with your charging system. I only know 1-2 cases all these years... They’re very durable now (thanks MOSFET!).

It seems that 5, 5 and something years is the maximum lifetime for NC’s batteries because they’re in the most hot area of the bike.

I doubt you have a problem with your charging system. I only know 1-2 cases all these years... They’re very durable now (thanks MOSFET!).

Maybe I was not clear.

After installing a brand new battery (same model as the original one), the same problem still exists intermittently.

Don't be lazy and check everything we said or let a professional do it. It can be something small now but as long as you don't fix it may end up with something really serious & costly.

Have in mind that buying a new battery (especially factory activated batteries like ours) doesn't mean that it's fresh or at least well maintained by the shop.

Don't be lazy and check everything we said or let a professional do it. It can be something small now but as long as you don't fix it may end up with something really serious & costly.

Have in mind that buying a new battery (especially factory activated batteries like ours) doesn't mean that it's fresh or at least well maintained by the shop.

There is really a gremlin in my Honda electrics...regarding the charging.
The new battery was charged by dealer overnight before he gave it back to me.
I keep the battery charged in my garage with a trickle charger over the winter.
It still gives me the hair-raising feeling when I press the start button and she is deadly quiet.

During this summer, I actually experienced this problem 50% of the time when I ride.

It still gives me the hair-raising feeling when I press the start button and she is deadly quiet.

During this summer, I actually experienced this problem 50% of the time when I ride.

As a proactive measure, you might want to replace the starter relay, in case it's the cause of your problem.

Also, go over the ground connections on the bike, i.e. battery to frame, and, if there are any, ground wires from the engine to the frame.

As already said everything must be checked. The charging system, the connections, if there is any unusual parasitic drain, your charger, the battery itself... Let a pro do it. It doesn’t worth to ride like that.

As a proactive measure, you might want to replace the starter relay, in case it's the cause of your problem.

Also, go over the ground connections on the bike, i.e. battery to frame, and, if there are any, ground wires from the engine to the frame.
It's my excuse to trade in the bike....
LOL

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I have a honda that had a weird short in the stator. local place fixed it for 25 bucks. sounds a lot like your problem, but anecdotal. Up to you if you wanna check it.

I have a honda that had a weird short in the stator. local place fixed it for 25 bucks. sounds a lot like your problem, but anecdotal. Up to you if you wanna check it.
I sold the bike. Thanks. I suspected it was something like that but the local shop costs 100chf per hr to diagnose or fix.

I sold the bike. Thanks. I suspected it was something like that but the local shop costs 100chf per hr to diagnose or fix.

Ah ok. FWIW, I pulled the stator myself, found the short, and took it to an electrical place to have them rewind and solder it. I can't imagine what a motorcycle shop, or a dealer would have charged. yikes

So I started this thread looking for some ideas on good deals for a good battery. FWIW, I made a battery purchase and bought a lithium battery. So far very happy with the purchase. I waited a couple weeks to see how things went before I mentioned it here. If you curious, I bought a WPS Lithium Battery 310 CCA Featherweight Light Waterproof HJTZ14S-FP-IL. It was a breeze to install due to the light weight and I can really tell a difference in the startup speed. Bike cranks up quickly. I have been intentional using my heated gear, heated grips, and additional roads lights to put as much of a load as possible on the battery. No issues yet. I know lithium batteries can have potential issues in the cold but nothing so far. Full disclosure though, Arkansas hasn't really gotten cold yet. I doubt I'll have this bike another 5 years so I won't be able to determine the longevity of the battery but who knows.

Back