• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replaced my BMW 1200GS with a NC700X and glad I did!

rainrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, actually I had an FJR for 3 years that I commuted on everyday here in Seattle rain/dark/cold (sometimes sun!) but I was ready for something new I decided that I would get the legendary BMW 1200GS (2007). I mean, everyone loves the big 1200GS and it's the 'best' bike you can get...right? I read that online and I saw the magazine covers, and I even saw Ewan and Charlie on TV having a great global adventure on them. I see them all over Seattle and their riders look so damn ready for anything and all have so many stickers that I was convinced that as soon as I got one I'd be in motorcycle nirvana. So even though I test rode the 800GS and liked it a lot, as soon as I found a low mileage 1200GS (11,000 miles) I bought it and was a member of the club. I rode it for 3 months and sold it to by the NC700x. The GS is nice, but the NC is great.

What's the change like? First, the NC700x isn't as cool looking as the 1200GS. It's just not. It holds it's own, but the GS is a looker that is just total eye candy. I miss being admired by cagers, but prefer now being looked at by other bikers wondering what I'm riding and why - if they know what the NC700x is. I'm old enough to prioritize comfort and handling now over looks. I've been riding 20 years and the GS just wasn't a good commuter, unless you're lucky enough to have one of those sweeping corner mountain commutes that was always over 40 mph. Its boxer engine was not great at super low speed traffic jam crawling. It lurched to the side from torque, and it's throttle at low speeds was clunky at best. It was super heavy to push around my driveway when it was off, and a bit high off the ground in true duel sport fashion. I got 38 mpg, plus I was freaking out thinking that some day I'd need to take it to get final drive service for $1000. So the bike itself was really wonderfully made and thought out, but I wasn't using it for what the nerds in Germany were planning for when they built it. Great machine, but not for me and my average commute in real world crappy traffic and tiny parking garage spaces.

I found an NC700x used from a non Honda dealer 'used' with only 24 miles on it. Yes, twenty-four. Short story - guy bought it without wife's permission and had to return it. My win. Anyways, the NC700x feels like it was made for my body type. I'm 5'10" 180lbs and I can make it do anything without pushing or pulling it hard. It was so comfortable when I rode it at the dealer (used bike so I could test drive it) I was worried it was too good of a fit and was looking for the passion. Glad I bought it, because the passion is there when you're happy with your commute and an always confident rider. Once I added $1000 of farkles to it (ex BMW owner thing to do) I felt the bike was ideal. I ride in a full Aerostich suit and Arai XD3 (big visor) helmet so the luggage was necessary as the frunk didn't hold my lid, sadly.

The difference in the BMW 1200GS and the nc700x comes down to these things for me:
1. The 1200GS suspension is much better than the NC700x. No comparison. I miss the BMW when the roads get bumpy.
2. The NC wins for running costs. Affordable bike, I'm getting 70mpg in traffic, vs 38 with the BMW, and the accessories are cheaper.
3. The NC wins for weight and maneuverability. That's something that is at the core of driving a bike. The NC is never intimidating. Love at first ride.
4. The NC wins for originality. I'm glad to not be in the GS club anymore. I don't want to be a popular kid anymore, I want to just be a happy rider.
5. BMW just switched to Japanese style left hand dual turn signals. I hated the BMW left and right individual grip signals. Hated them. NC700 win.
6. Both the NC and the GS had about the same functional power. Argue this however you want, but in my law abiding real world commuter life the roll on power was the same. I never scraped a knee, never hit 100mph. As unsexy as it is I spend most of my time avoiding being hit by the minivan by changing lanes, or driving in the gap of traffic on the highway.

So while I thought the GS would be the end all be all of motorcycle riding, it wasn't for me. I was a cool kid for a while, and glad I tired it. It's a great bike, and well engineered, but I wasn't using it for what it needed to used as. I'd choose it if I were going off road on very flat and wide roads, but still not for adventure exploring. The GS is a dream suspension. I miss it and that's the only gripe I have about the NC. I'm glad that I dared to be different. I save money, enjoy riding, and just feel independant (from marketing and branding propaganda) on the NC700x.
IMAG0661.jpg
IMAG0660.jpg

Last edited:
Great that you made a comparison based on your needs.
Not everyone can handle nor fully use a GS, nor a Suzuki hayabusa, etc.
People buy those for their needs or wants.
I am glad you got over your poser phase.
However sone riders do and can use the GS to the limits, even for commuting.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A cheerful welcome to the Forum, rainrider, from another PacNorWest fellow who traded his BMW in for a wonderful NC700X. ;)

Thanks for your detailed comparison of the BMW 1200GS and the NC700x, and welcome to the Forum. The BMW is a nice looking motorcycle but a bit out of my price range. The NC is my first bike in over 38 years. I didn't even have my endorsement when I bought it, and if it wasn't such a highly maneuverable bike I don't think I would have my endorsement now. It is an easy bike to "get back into the saddle" on. I enjoy riding mine every time I get on it, so it really doesn't matter what other riders might think about the NC. It suits me to a "T" and that's all that counts in my book. Enjoy your new NC.

Welcome, from another "rain rider" in the PNW!

I, too, considered the 650/800GS. When I searched for an all-around commuter with light off-road capability, I narrowed it came down to the NC700X and the 650/800GS. But in the end, I realized that there are just too many good things going for the NCX. I'd be stupid (or vain) to pick the GS.

Last edited:
Great introduction RR....I,v never rode a GS,,and to be honest never really wanted too....The NC is not perfect,,,but for the price its pretty close.....

Greetings and welcome from West Virginia. Good story on the trade in logic. And, for the most part, had the same reasons for trading a 2007 Multistrada 1100 for the NC.

Welcome aboard! I too test rode the BMW 650GS and the 800GS. Along with
a bunch of other bikes. Victory Judge. Ninja 250, CBR250, Honda Fury, Etc.
The deciding factors were the neat frunk, MPG, handling, price and size of the bike
for my body.

I bought it for commuting to work and everyday traveling. 10,000+ miles and still
having fun with it.

Wow, what a great first post! I've always thought the big GS was a very sexy bike, but my practical side always seems to win out over my desires. At least the suspension can be sorted out.

There are aftermarket suspension upgrades at less than $1100 front and rear and maybe you won't miss the GS suspension as much. Welcome aboard.

I too considered a 800GS. Also glad I chose the NC, for almost half the cost of a Beemer. Coming up on 2yrs that I've had my NC, got over 21k miles and I don't regret a thing. No, she's not perfect, but what bike is "perfect" for any rider right off the showroom? Suspension needs addressing, working on it. Seat needed addressing for me, worked on it with a Seat Concepts foam and cover. May still get it done differently by a professional.

Anyways, Welcome to the forum!! Glad to hear another BMW to Honda NC convert to help solidify my decision to ride my NC until the wheels fall off! LOL

Once I added $1000 of farkles to it (ex BMW owner thing to do) I felt the bike was ideal.

I never would have guessed Ex-BMW riders to be such a cheap date!

Once you are finished spending as much on a NC as you would just to ride off the showroom floor on that BMW you'll have an excellent bike (or two) ;)

First search the forum for all posts from Kebrider. Use Advanced Search and search only author name or use 'suspension' in keywords. Useful tool for all sorts of suspension upgrades since the forum inception.

Bought my 12 NCX used from a BMW dealership. Was very well "farkled". There were a couple fully decked out GS on floor.I thought they were HUGE. The size was intimating to me. At 5'7" and 190 lbs the NCX is more my size-with Kouna lowering links.And then there is the price!!!. Very happy with the NCX after 11 year on Honda PC800. Pacific Coast.

First, the NC700x isn't as cool looking as the 1200GS. It's just not. It holds it's own, but the GS is a looker that is just total eye candy.

Seriously?! :confused: The GS is surely the ugliest bike on the planet. People stare only because they can't believe how ugly it is...:p. Trust me on this, I have owned some ugly bikes - Varadero, Suzuki GSX600F - but they are works of art in comparison to the GS.

The NC is actually the first decent looking bike I've owned, not that that was a major consideration...

Don't tell Aaron Frank (author of the "WTH, Honda? | Megaphone" article) about this real-world review. His inner-child won't know how to cope and he'll start blaming people who weren't breast fed by their mother's long enough instead of accepting it for what is is: a review based on the real world experience of a Honda owner. Welcome to the club where we brag about a great day of riding versus who's bike is faster on a racetrack.

Great commentary on your experience switching from the GS to the NC. I was amazed at how much better I immediately liked my NC over the 2004 Moto Guzzi California's I rode for the past 10 years. I would never go back. I would argue however than nearly any switch from a 7 year old bike to a reasonably competent new bike would be welcome. The NC is more than competent; it's a really well thought out, practical, fun to ride bike. I would imagine that the new GS, which is vastly improved from the older GS's, would fare a bit better. In stock, not adventure, form it is only slightly heavier than the NC and it has a much lower center of gravity than the older mounts. Straddling one and lifting it off the stand, I am struck at how similar it feels to the NC. The only downside I see is the extra $12,000 for the GS. As you, I am very satisfied with my NC. I think I will earmark that $12,000 I am saving into my Porsche Cayman fund. ;-)

Welcome RainRider from another Seattle area Rain rider. I still have my FJR1300, but there's also a NC700XD in my garage. Riding those 2 bikes, I can see the truths in your comparison. I'm still addicted to the brutal acceleration of the FJR, but the NC sure is nice for it's lower weight, better mileage and DCT handling of clutch duties when stuck in traffic.

Enjoy our current lack of rain on your new NC700!

Back