• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommended Garage Equipment & Tools for Bikes

Alternative to the bottle jack...........wide,flat,stable lifting platform:

IMG_2207.JPG

This one came free with my lift as a promotion.

I bought the Cruiserlift which I think is universal unless you have a chopper - which then is a different story.
Can these be universally used aside from the weight capacities since I see they have 4 different types and I plan on having multiple bikes?

Aside from a good set of screwdrivers then wrenches from 8 mm to 22 mm and a socket set from 8 to 27 mm I wouldn't know where to start.

I keep thinking of scene from Grand Torino when Clint Eastwood is talking to the kid next door where he says something like "well son, I didn't buy these tools in one day. It took 50 years."
Yup. I started collecting tools to work on bikes and cars when I was 14 or 15... over 30 years ago.
I still use a socket set I purchased for $12 once in a while though mostly as a backup since I have a much nicer set now.
I used a $12 torque wrench for a lot of years and I still have it.

Buy stuff as you need it and don't think you have to buy the best right away.
I'd avoid super cheap stuff but a smaller brand name socket set will do most of what you need and you can add specific sockets if needed.
You don't need to spend $200+ on a 1000 piece set right away.
I did have to buy all my suspension stuff at the same time though since I was reworking both ends of my VFR.

Yup. I started collecting tools to work on bikes and cars when I was 14 or 15... over 30 years ago.
I still use a socket set I purchased for $12 once in a while though mostly as a backup since I have a much nicer set now.
I used a $12 torque wrench for a lot of years and I still have it.

Buy stuff as you need it and don't think you have to buy the best right away.
I'd avoid super cheap stuff but a smaller brand name socket set will do most of what you need and you can add specific sockets if needed.
You don't need to spend $200+ on a 1000 piece set right away.
I did have to buy all my suspension stuff at the same time though since I was reworking both ends of my VFR.

buy the $12 100 piece set... replace pieces with good ones as you break them (they will break)

After 10-20 years you'll find that there are pieces in that 100 piece set you've never used, you can pick them out because they will be the ones that are original.

Unless I'm replacing tools I broke, I almost always get the cheapest it usually comes as part of a set, and I usually find a need for other pieces from the set at some point, even if it is just to give to my wife to keep her from using, misusing and damaging my nice stuff. (a wire cutters is not a bolt cutter... while they both cut they are not interchangeable.)

i have just worked it out going on the list you would have to spend $2000-$3000 on tools stands etc why not get it done at the dealers and it will save you the agro of bikes falling over dirty and cut hands breakages on equipment and your time. i am sure this comment will open up a can of worms. have fun!! i will get my coat

i have just worked it out going on the list you would have to spend $2000-$3000 on tools stands etc why not get it done at the dealers and it will save you the agro of bikes falling over dirty and cut hands breakages on equipment and your time. i am sure this comment will open up a can of worms. have fun!! i will get my coat

The very first time I had ever got a shop to do a service I was lucky enough to be in a position to see them working on my bike. After informing me they knew everything about the model (and in fact the mechanic telling me he used to own one) I saw and grabbed them as they went to hit the go joy button (start). I asked them about why they hadn't "bled" the system after an oil change. (oil in frame, air lock potential). They had no idea what I was talking about. Regardless of the likelihood of it ending in a disaster I can guarantee it would have been a "not our fault/problem" response if 30mins down the road I was stranded with a seized motor.
Ironically the second time I've ever had a service its been on my NC and that was to keep it in warranty.
So there are great mechanics out there I'm sure, but I enjoy working on bikes, and I know if I stuff it up its my problem and I learn from it.
As far as tools , Im sure others will agree this one helps .
beer.jpg

Back