• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Radiator hose

Starwise

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had 16,000 mile service done at a local shop. After bringing the bike home I thought do some cleaning and noticed this hose was hanging loose behind the radiator. It is supposed to be connected to the tip under the filler cap right? The hose looks like it's missing the compression clip as well.

Marko

WP_20150210_001.jpg

Yes, it is overflow hose which should go to white tank with coolant under radiator. Not sure about clip, there is no pressure in this line. If there is a marks on that hose where the clip was, just get any that will fit, not necessary OEM from honda.
And since your radiator cap "breath in" air (with dust, dirt etc) instead of coolant when bike cooling off after ride, I'd recommend to flush and clean whole cooling system using distilled water, then refill it with fresh new premix.

Last edited:
How far did you ride from the shop ? If only a few miles, all that will have happened is that the coolant expanded during the journey. When you stopped, it will have contracted and sucked in some air as suggested above. However if you spotted it after your first journey from the shop, and before usage again, I would simply reconnect and top up the rad and header tank. A hose clip is required but not vital as that end of the system is not pressurised.

Jugglers recommendations would obviously be valid if a lot of mileage was put on the bike before discovery. I think the Tech would need to be informed though that he was somewhat remiss in his work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good eye. Not a bad idea to look over your bike after it has been serviced. Good on you for catching it.

Thanks guys! The shop is located only 7-8 miles from home. All paved except the last 100 yards or so. I might as well flush it through this weekend since I have plenty of premix available.

I question why the shop would take it off in the first place. That hose stays connected and coolant change isn't until 24K miles, or 2 years. The cap looks like it was never taken off. Did they change coolant?

I question why the shop would take it off in the first place. That hose stays connected and coolant change isn't until 24K miles, or 2 years. The cap looks like it was never taken off. Did they change coolant?

The 16,000 mile service would have included a valve check/adjustment. Moving or removing the radiator is required, and necessitates draining some coolant. Depending on their methods, they may have chosen to disconnect the overflow hose.

If the hose being left off is the only thing found wrong after having work done at a shop, consider yourself lucky.

Back