• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Questions for current owners - Vibration and Acceleration

Thomasec

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about 95% sold on the nc700x based on what I have read and a few videos on uTube. A couple of questions for you current (lucky) owners in Europe, etc or those that have at least been able to go for a test ride. . .

Do you consider it fairly vibe free at cruising speed 100-120kph? I know there will be some (being a twin), but this new engine only needs about 3200 - 3400 rpm at those speeds (in 6th), much less than the competition. I have a feeling it will seem pretty smooth.

Does it have enough reserve power to pass other traffic crisply from say 70 - 130kph? A few test riders (who don't really "get" the nc700 concept) have indicated it "goes faster", but nothing dramatic. I don't expect "rocket type" acceleration, but don't want something that feels like an old VW beetle either.

Thanks for your input!

Hey Thomasec,

Im very new to biking, pickeb up my NC700X 2 days ago. It seems to have more than enough power to pass etc at the 70-130 spped bracket. Im still getting to grips with my own ability at speeds over 100. Im loving this machine so far, albeit from a very novice perspective.

Cheers
Scott

Honda have DELIBERATELY made the engine 'throb' to give it the feeling of a 'V' twin by twisting the crankshaft. However I didn't find it upsetting and it is smooth enough - but obviously not as smooth as a four cylinder bike. There is adequate acceleration in the range of 70-130k for most riders, but again not as rapid as say my CBF1000!

Hi tomasec, tanserf's hubby here. The NC means just that: this is a new concept from Honda.Certainly not a CBR, neither XR 600, it's somewhere in between. It provides for a low down go torque, you know it's a twin, very satisfying rather than an irritating vibration. Get up and go through the gears is good, you can nail it, just 'short shift' before the cut-out catches you out! Cruising on good paving is where this bike comes into its own, rewarding with amazing consumption. We are averaging 3.2l/100km. That's good mileage. You can keep the speed between 130 - 140km/h comfortably, I find 130 sweet. However, give the ear a twist from there, you will see 170+ before you know it. All done very composed. In order to keep the price to where they have it, you have to make some compromises, and Honda did on the suspension, IMHO. You do feel undulations thru the bars going solo, It can get a bit "nervous", but loves good surfaces. The Bridgetone 023 gives sufficient grip, and you can lean without a problem, making twisties a pleasure. The gearbox can clunk a bit, 1st to 3rd, after that it's smooth going. And a lovely, though muted exhaust tone on the over run. It is very quiet, for me it could be a bit louder, but that is personal. All in all, a very satisfying, comfortable ride, and the convenience of the "tank" cubby is a boon. You can load quite a bit in there. For what it is, at the price you will not find any better.
Happy riding and go safe!

Thank you Ken and Tanserf. That is exactly what I was wanting to know. It should be the perfect bike for me. I am greatly looking forward to getting one this coming summer when Honda finally releases them over here. (I have placed a pre-order reserve)

Anyone else . . . . I welcome your opinions too. Particularly anyone who has ridden a Kawasaki Versys (or ER6n) or a Suzuki V-strom 650 and can offer comparisons.

Last edited:
Thomasec, recently got my NC700X and can agree with what has already been said on this thread. Power and - more important - the way it's delivered are more than adequate. I had to smile recently when I read the negative feedback of one Motorcycle News reader (a Triumph Speed Triple owner) included among others in the newspaper's first test of the bike. He complained that would never consider owning the bike because there was so little power that he actually had to plan his overtaking manoeuvers in advance. I'm not sure he should be riding ANY bike!!

Tanserf - your pic makes me smile . . . you have got your "lean" on (from your wear pattern)!

Scrumpy - My thoughts exactly. Nice to confirm there is plenty of power when you need it in the real world. I don't need it to go really fast as I rarely do that. But I do plan to do plenty of light touring (and city commuting) which the NC should do quite nicely.

Thomasec, re touring there's a positive report from UK owner Kharli on Ash on Bikes forum (search for NC700X) following a tour round Scotland. I believe the bike is an excellent tool for one-up touring and can't wait to do some myself. BTW, Kevin Ash's website is a real good read - he writes in Motorcycle News and does The Telegraph bike column.

Thomasec, as an ex-Portlandia denizen I can attest that the NC700 is the perfect commuter and intercity tool. It'll work well tearing around the city streets and dozing through commuter traffic--get the automatic model as it's best in stop 'n go traffic which are daily in the Portland area. Keep the NC naked and it'll perform like a Star Wars fighter. The caveats are: don't dirty up the aero with tall screens, or up the weight with racks and bags. If you do that the gas mileage will plunge and yes, you will have to PLAN your passing of traffic. These are lessons learned...

You are right Dave, but as the OP (back in 2012 BEFORE the NCX was released in the US), I feel I should at least update things a bit. This thread is no longer relevant as we have long ago answered the original questions. Yes the NC is plenty smooth and powerful enough. After 15K miles or so I still love the bike but did not keep it "naked" like goodvibes suggested. It is properly farkeled with bags, etc. But I don't have any issues with that as it handles them just fine. (I remove them when urban commuting.) Would buy it again (like Dave did . . :) . . ) in a heartbeat but might just go with the DCT. I do like the changes made in the 2016 version.

Last edited:
hello from South Africa. My 2012 NC700X Manual only gets vibey at around 130+ and then only for a short time. I think due to some sort of resonance. otherwise the only time it feels like im going over cobble stones is when its labouring a bit in 6th just below 3000rpm

Talking of offroad, the Honda dealers tell me that a similar system to DCT has been used in Honda Quads since the 90's so it is well tested.

Thomasec, as an ex-Portlandia denizen I can attest that the NC700 is the perfect commuter and intercity tool. It'll work well tearing around the city streets and dozing through commuter traffic--get the automatic model as it's best in stop 'n go traffic which are daily in the Portland area. Keep the NC naked and it'll perform like a Star Wars fighter. The caveats are: don't dirty up the aero with tall screens, or up the weight with racks and bags. If you do that the gas mileage will plunge and yes, you will have to PLAN your passing of traffic. These are lessons learned...

Last 350 mile trip on my NC700X with fully loaded side and top cases and tall windscreen yielded 71 mpg. And honestly I noticed no difference in power, even going from about 900 ft. elevation to about 6,000. The laws of physics dictate that there was a power cost to all of that, but I really couldn't notice it.

Back