• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question About Wind Screens And Saddle Bags

Well now I'm committed. I went out in the garage and looked where I thought I saw it recently and it wasn't there. I know I saw it recently so I'll keep looking.

Reactions: MZ5
I have a GIVI windscreen and I find it excellent. No helmet buffeting and good wind protection. I found the GIVI Windscreen will not work with Honda Hand Guards. I am 6 foot and it is about chin high. I also have GIVI Dolomiti Panniers, I put on 200 miles yesterday, filled up before I left, and filled up when I returned. (same level in the tank for accurate calculations) 64 mpg shown, 68 mpg actual. So I can't say if I would get better mpg without the bags, but 68 mpg is good enough.

All of the windscreen talks across various threads has inspired me to pull my Moose Racing screen up from the basement and give it another shot. The screen is a +7" (20" total). The last time I used it, it worked great getting wind off my body, but put a massive turbulet spot right on the top of my helmet, at the forehead level. I don't mind wind on my face (and absolutely do NOT want a screen so tall that I have to look through it), but the cavitation and turbulence caused a massive headache for me.

This time, I'm trying one of those cheap spoilers you can get off of Amazon for $25 bucks. I have it in the lowest position, so it isn't really an "extender" but should spoil airflow. So far the results are awesome! Today I'm moving the screen down to the lower set of mounts to see if I can get away with running it ~1" lower and still have a good experience.

IMG_0315.jpeg

Chances are when I get my 2021, if the mounts line up with previous models I will be looking for someone's horrible stock screen for cheap so I can cut it down to a proper shorty shield so I can get some wind. I like wind. ;)

Shorty shield on my CB (although it's usually shieldless from May until October)

exxzvb3.jpg

Shorty shield on my FJR

FDVhV5R.jpg

Shorty shield on my ST 1300

bK5k7GF.jpg

Shorty shield on my old FZ-1

c9FF0qw.jpg

Today I'm moving the screen down to the lower set of mounts to see if I can get away with running it ~1" lower and still have a good experience.
After riding it today mounted in the lower position, I think I have a solution I'm happy with. Still no massive buffeting or weird resonances, but a little more air in my face at highway speeds. The main flow of air is now directed right into the vents at the top of my helmet, which feels great for cooling.

Windshields on a motorcycle are a conundrum.

If the shield is short, you get protection on your chest and your head is in clean air. There is constant air noise but it's not flag flapping noise or moving your head around turbulence, and easy to muffle with ear plugs. It's why guys with intermediate height shields like the NC often say the wind noise actually quiets down if they stand up on the pegs

If the shield is tall, tall enough to look just over or through, you will get no wind pressure on your body, you will get no air noise, no flag flapping noise and no bobble heading turbulence to your head.

Almost anywhere in between those two and you get air pressure on your head especially around your eye port of a full face helmet, you will get the flag flapping noise, and the bobble head from uneven or dirty air pressure beating on your helmet. If it gets quieter and smoother if you slouch or stand up, your shield is the wrong height. If you get the flag flapping noise and bobble heading you have 2 options with a shield, go lower or go higher.

It's why on the ST and FJR forums, where the bikes have adjustable windshields that the riders claim the shields are good either all the way down, or all the way up. The ST shield has a 7" adjustment range and guys still buy excessively tall shields up to 4" taller than stock trying to get in a pocket of still air, and then sometimes still add little pieces to the top of the screen. It takes a lot of windscreen in height and width to block the air completely.

Been reading here how guys buy the Madstatt according to the companies recommendation, and then wish they had bought one 2 inches taller. If you try makingitwork's experiment you will find you will use more cardboard than you imagined, but it's a good way to find out how tall of a windshield to buy that will make you happy. I dont know that I'd use gorilla tape on my shield, buy maybe green painters tape that leaves no sticky residue.

Also order a windshield after you make any planned seat, handlebar riser changes to your bike. Changing those changes how the wind hits the rider. Some seats, and all risers, make you sit up straighter and require a taller shield for air free riding.

A windshield that does block all the wind often looks out of proportion to the motorcycle. IMO because the NC was designed for commuting and light off road and not touring, it is one of those motorcycles. Then again sometimes function trumps fashion.

MO, YMMV

Reactions: MZ5
Back