• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about DTC

I 100% agree with Wozza. Whilst there is no substitute for good riding things such as ABS do add to safety. I really believe that the only guys that maybe would not benefit from this are racers. Of course I'm talking about riding on tarmac as that is where most NCs will spend the majority of their time. The only time my NC will go off road is by accident not design

I currently ride a Honda Nighthawk and use Rotella T6 oil. Down the road, I am looking to purchase the NC700 w/ DTC. Since the DTC doesn't have clutch plates, can reqular syn. automotive oil 10w40 be use? The cost would be half of motorcycle oil.

The DCT has clutch plates, it operates 2 clutches. Shared sump system. It is not like a car auto trans. Think of the DCT like a manual motorcycle, only the clutch is automatically controlled. You even get the clunking sounds! The recommened oil is 10w-30 non energy conserving motorcycle oil that meets JASO- MA requirements.

That said, you could run Rotella 5w-40. Or a 30weight that meets the specs, some on here run Mobil 1s motorcycle oil, some run Rotella, some use the pro Honda gn4 30 weight.

I myself am waiting on delivery of Amsoil 10w-30 motorcycle oil.

Last edited:
I currently ride a Honda Nighthawk and use Rotella T6 oil. Down the road, I am looking to purchase the NC700 w/ DTC. Since the DTC doesn't have clutch plates, can reqular syn. automotive oil 10w40 be use? The cost would be half of motorcycle oil.
Well, it's not called DTC, it's DCT, for dual clutch transmission. Yes, it has clutch plates. There are many Web pages that explain how it works. Rather than me posting links, just search the Web on Honda motorcycle DCT.

Most of us aren't qualified engine lubrication system engineers (although a few may actually be and some seem to think they are). The best advice is to follow the Honda service manual oil recommendations. Automotive oil is not recommended because it most likely will not carry the JASO MA rating. I believe Rotella T6 is acceptable. Read the bottle.

Yes, automotive oil would be cheaper. I have about 10 gallons of automotive oil laying around that I got for free with rebates. But if you watch for deals there are motorcycle oil sales from time to time and you can stock up.

Greg

Last edited:
Back