• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Price of bikes

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
In todays MCN they listed the5 cheapest new bikes on sell in the UK 3 of which cost in excess of £1000. It doesn't seem that long ago (although I suppose it was) that I bought my first Beemer and everybody said "over a grand for a bike you must be Flippin mad or or maybe the first word was another begining with the same letter :)

I'm no spring chicken but I'm by no means old. I don't think I have ever bought a bike under $1000. The first bike I personally purchased (without dads help) was a 1986 Honda Interceptor 500. I don't remember the exact cost but it was around $4000. Wish I still had that bike.

I would imagine anything today that was remotely close to $1000 would have to have a very small engine.

oh my.... sold my 1970's era HONDA trail ct90 for $1000 about 5 years back (i think?)
It was orange in color.

Last edited:
First bike $799: 1975 Yamaha DT125.

My first bike was a 1966 BSA C15. It cost me £20 in 1973 - I then had to strip the top end down & replace piston rings, fix the alternator wiring and a few other minor jobs costing around £50 all in. It was a bit of a struggle as this was my first ever attempt to work on any motor but at least it gave me an understanding of how the bike worked. I can't remember what annual insurance and road taxes came to - thus was a few years before bike insurance started to soar to ridiculous levels.

My first NEW bike was a 1982 Yamaha 550 Secca. It cost me right at $2000 in 1983 (Import tariff sale).

My FIRST bike was an old XR75 (used) It cost me $150 and came with a new oil rotor that I had to instal (old one was broken). I was 13 then... and I still remember eavesdropping on my parents as they discussed whether or not they should let me buy the XR75. At one point one of them said "If we let him get it, maybe it will get motorcycles out of his system"..... ummm well so much for that plan! I still love that bike! Spent some of the happiest days of my life riding that bike!

Next bike was a Honda CB 350, (1972) very used... paid $500 for it. That was in 1982, and was my first street bike. I think it was at this point my parents realized I was never going to "get motorcycles out of my system". At 18, for me to WANT to ride a ten year old motorcycle in public, and be proud of it (cuz that was all I could afford). I think they knew it was hopeless at that point.

After that I saved my money until I could afford a used 1981 Yamaha 550 Secca. Paid $1500 for it.....the bike of my dreams! the 1982 secca I got after I was hit on the 1981 and my insurance paid almost enough to buy a brand new one. My Mom about freaked when she got the call from the school nurse (Jr college) saying I had been taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Took me a month before I could walk without a limp. That was about the time I got the new 550 Secca

Then came the VFR 750 ($3,500 used on ebay) (still have that sweet bike), and finally the NC 700x. ($7,000 out the door tax tilte tags)

Last edited:
In 1968 a new BSA Lighting cost $1899 and a Honda 350 was $999 new. A new Dodge Charger was $3500. My motorcycle, my wife's motorcycle, and our car.

My first bike was my 1974 CB750K, and I paid 700 bucks for it. It sat for several years, and was in rough shape. I now have about 2k into the bike, between the engine kits and tires. I rode several bikes before owning one though, and a couple dirt bikes.

My first post was referencing the first bike I bought. The first bike I owned was given to me by my grandfather. There was a big debate over this since my father was a cop but thankfully Grandpa (my fathers dad) won the argument. The bike was a Suzuki TC100. It was an enduro. Could be used off-road and on the road. Had more fun on that bike at 13yrs old than anything to date. I was a kid so it was awesome.

My first bike was a 1966 BSA C15. It cost me £20 in 1973 - I then had to strip the top end down & replace piston rings, fix the alternator wiring and a few other minor jobs costing around £50 all in. It was a bit of a struggle as this was my first ever attempt to work on any motor but at least it gave me an understanding of how the bike worked. I can't remember what annual insurance and road taxes came to - thus was a few years before bike insurance started to soar to ridiculous levels.

If only I had realised how much my £75 C15 was going to cost me in the long run. It be many £1000s as it started my obseesion with bikes. Having said that I really likes bikes eversince I was a small child and couldn't wait for my 16th birthday so I could get on the road

If only I had realised how much my £75 C15 was going to cost me in the long run. It be many £1000s as it started my obseesion with bikes. Having said that I really likes bikes eversince I was a small child and couldn't wait for my 16th birthday so I could get on the road
oh nofing changed there then Rocker;)

my 1st was a Lambretta Li150 scooter £90.

Lambretta%201962%20Series%203.JPG

and my 1st bike was this and shortly after....
BSA Bantam d7 175cc black/chrome Bought it for £16 and sold it for £37!

bantam06040302.jpg

cost I can't remember...suzuki 350 rebel this colour.

T350-1.jpg

I don't know how much the Honda SL70 was but the cost was split between my parents, my brother and myself. Somewhere above $300 and below $500. I could ask my brother.
The first bike I bought was a 1980(?) Honda XR200R (first Pro-Link model) for $1500.
My first street bike was an '83 Honda Shadow 750 I bought used for $800.

No change with your need to respond to my every post with either abuse or sarcasam either I see.
If you have a problem with me fair enough that's your problem not mine but why bore the other forum members with it

it was meant as a light hearted joke Rocker did ya not see this;)

My first post was referencing the first bike I bought. The first bike I owned was given to me by my grandfather. There was a big debate over this since my father was a cop but thankfully Grandpa (my fathers dad) won the argument. The bike was a Suzuki TC100. It was an enduro. Could be used off-road and on the road. Had more fun on that bike at 13yrs old than anything to date. I was a kid so it was awesome.

We used a TC125 for about 20 years on the farm. Absolutely bullet-proof, wonderful bikes! I miss it...

My first was a used 1959 Lambretta scooter I got for $75. It had been in an accident so the body was banged up, but it ran OK. I was 14 at the time and you could get a license in Alabama at that age. Next I got a new 1963 Lambretta for $425. Had to sell it when we moved to Washington state and I was too young to get a license. In 1970 I bought a Honda CL 175 for $600. Used for four years to commute to graduate school. Now, after 38 years without a bike I bought the NC a year ago.

Back