• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Preffered rain gear style

I've been looking at rain gear options lately, and one common problem seems to be that the pants aren't easy (and in some cases impossible) to get on over boots. Has anyone found any good rain suits or rain pants that go on easily over (big) boots?

Probably the best you're going to do is get a pair of pants/bibs that have a side zipper. Mine go all the way up to the waist, but you might not need them to go that high. With the side zippers open, it's pretty easy to get them on/off with boots on.

I've been looking at rain gear options lately, and one common problem seems to be that the pants aren't easy (and in some cases impossible) to get on over boots. Has anyone found any good rain suits or rain pants that go on easily over (big) boots?

That's the whole reason I got my Aerostich AD-1 pants (I believe the Darien and Darien Light pants also have this)

They have side zippers on both legs, which completely split the pants apart- not just up to the thigh, or up to the waist, but 100% all the way, so you can put them on or remove them without hopping around on one leg trying to get a boot unstuck. :eek:

I would love to have a suit where I did not have to stop and add layers when the rain comes. But, the reviews I am seeing are telling me all these options are steamy in hot weather when it is not raining. Do any of these options really breathe when it is not raining? I have a mesh jacket now that is fairly cool when it is hot out.

I live in Florida, so, is there a one jacket for all conditions for me, when it is often 90 and humid?

Alas, there is no perfect solution for all conditions. My Firstgear Kenya has two giant vertical front intake zips, two forearm zip vents, each armpit, and two large vertical back exhaust vent zips. It had the most venting of any jacket I could find back in 2010, yet also had a built in bonded breathable membrane for rain.

I haven't gotten wet in it all these years, but it is warm in the middle of the summer no doubt, no matter the vents, and despite it never getting much over 80 degrees up here. Personally I just die in the heat when it's over 75F, so everything is relative. I wouldn't go out on a bike if the temp was at 90, I would have a heat stroke and expire! Couldn't handle that heat, nope! :eek:

That's the whole reason I got my Aerostich AD-1 pants (I believe the Darien and Darien Light pants also have this)

They have side zippers on both legs, which completely split the pants apart- not just up to the thigh, or up to the waist, but 100% all the way, so you can put them on or remove them without hopping around on one leg trying to get a boot unstuck. :eek:

That's a very nice design. Do any of the companies offering less expensive rain gear use it? I avoid the rain when possible, so I don't really want to spend that kind of money on rain gear if I can avoid it.

I usually sit on a curb and take my boots off, one at a time and put my legs into the pants one at a time. It's a pain. I recently purchased waterproof riding pants (First Gear TPG Escape pants) so I don't have to stop and put on rain gear. But I can't wear these over 80 degrees I don't think.

That's a very nice design. Do any of the companies offering less expensive rain gear use it? I avoid the rain when possible, so I don't really want to spend that kind of money on rain gear if I can avoid it.

Trust me, having them shipped up here to Canada was absolutely eyewatering. With the dollar difference, the shipping charges, the taxes, the Border duty, the tax *on* the duty, etc., uuuugh.

Couldn't find any other company/make/model that had that feature, unfortunately. :(

I wouldn't go out on a bike if the temp was at 90, I would have a heat stroke and expire! Couldn't handle that heat, nope! :eek:

That would park your bike from about Easter to Thanksgiving down here. It does not sound like there is a real equivalent to mesh that is waterproof. Gotta have the mesh down here, which is not too bad when you are moving.

It's like a chicken coop for ants..
LYHKoDs.jpg

That would park your bike from about Easter to Thanksgiving down here. It does not sound like there is a real equivalent to mesh that is waterproof. Gotta have the mesh down here, which is not too bad when you are moving.

It's like a chicken coop for ants..
LYHKoDs.jpg

I'm sweating just sitting here thinking about it, lol :eek:

I would love to have a suit where I did not have to stop and add layers when the rain comes. But, the reviews I am seeing are telling me all these options are steamy in hot weather when it is not raining. Do any of these options really breathe when it is not raining? I have a mesh jacket now that is fairly cool when it is hot out.

I live in Florida, so, is there a one jacket for all conditions for me, when it is often 90 and humid?

As others have already mentioned.. you need to do your research and make sure whatever you get has excellent venting and airflow. I spent a long time doing just that as I hate riding in hot gear.
I finally settled on the Klim Latitude Misano. It vents really well .. I am surprised how well but I do not ride in Florida so I can't say I could deal with it down there. I suspect as along as I was moving I'd be fine though. It does get extreemly hot and humid in North Carolina usually... although this year has been mild thank goodness!

I have noticed the higher end riding gear seems to all be designed to scoop the air right up the sleeves when your riding. That is REALLY NICE! It's like wind tunnels shooting right up your arms and out the underarm vents.

If you pay attention to the gear the LD riders wear and the people who ride allot, or have ridden many years, you will start to see that the vast majority of them are wearing Gortex gear that is waterproof and breathable as stated earlier in this thread. My advice is to go to Revzilla and watch the video reviews on any jacket you are interested in. That is what I did and why I chose the gear I did. The version of the Lattitude I have is now discontinued however.
Venting was my 2nd priority after waterproof.

Do your research, then once you decide what you want, go get a login on Advirder.com and go into their flea market gear section and watch for the gear in the size you need.
I paid $350 for my Klim Lattitude Misano jacket (worn a few times by prior owner). It normally sells for close to $600.

For me not having to stop in the rain and try to put on and take off gear on the side of the road is well worth the cost considering the years I intend to be using it.

My main riding gear is already waterproof (Klim Latitude Misano) but for some of the commuting, I will keep a 2 piece set I bought before I got the Klim gear. I got a deal at Revzilla on the Olympia Horizon Jacket and Pants, and they are on the bike with me, just in case.

I think your choice in rain gear would go back to the type or riding you are doing. If you are going to do riding in all conditions your best bet would be to invest in a good system.

If your a fair weather rider and really only looking to keep the rain off if you get stuck, a simple two piece that is stored in the frunk might be acceptable.

My full set is a Joe Rocket matching jacket and pant. It is good in the cold weather when fully assembled but not so good in the warm. The inner layer is a mesh jacket which I think eventually I will get a Scott rain set to go over the summer layers. It is a pain to build up the rain layers so something quick to throw in the frunk to put on when necessary is in the plans.

I am going to be riding a lot more.
I start this Friday in a job where I will ride from one grocery store to another stocking, marking, and just overall upkeep of their Nestle products.
I am told I do not have to warehouse any products.
Everything will go directly to the stores.
There are 17 stores and the closest one is 14 miles away.
The next closest is maybe 25 miles away.
The furthest out is maybe 65 miles.
But, I get paid a great hourly rate and 29 cents per mile (minus the first 20 of the day and the last 20 of the day).
So, I am going to get paid to ride my NC700X!!!!!!!!!!
Now, I have to look nice getting to each one of these stores and that is what I need the rain gear for.
I would have added this to the original post but I just got the confirming call all checks cleared and I am good to start.

Now, with each of you knowing that information, knowing some of the stores are in the same town so commuting between them will be minutes, what would be your choice of rain gear?

I do have a lower grade, but nice, Fulmer textile jacket.
Any riding pants will be folded up when I arrive and placed into the Givi trunk.
If storage space is big enough, in the Summer months I will fold up the coat and store it in the bike.
Textile for both would take care of stopping to change into rain gear quickly.
But, good textile that is waterproof and breathable may cost a lot!
Knowing this, if you were in this position, how would you handle the situation.
Three full days per week and depending if you accomplished all you needed or not, a fourth day.
Every Friday off!!
Place the sign on the door - Gone riding!!!!

Thanks for any help.!

God bless!!

Michael

I've never owned a rain suit. I'm due to replace my old gear, but that's a two piece Joe Rocket "Ballistic" riding suit.
In warm weather when I'm sure it won't rain I wear a Joe Rocket leather jacket rather than the Textile one.

*edit*
The leather jacket has perforated panels on the chest area and breathable inserts on the arms.
After having a serious crash while wearing the leather, I'll take it over textile in nice weather.

Last edited:
I really do understand the burden imposed when trying to build up the courage to make a rather big ticket purchase, especially of you are unsure, or there is a question on return of investment. It is a heck of a lot easier for some to buy a bazillion dollars worth of gear than others, and even many people who can afford that, choose not to for their own perfectly justifiable reasons.

I dislike getting wet a little bit more than I dislike paying a certain amount of money to stay dry.

I dislike paying a sum of money deemed "too much" by me, more than potentially getting wet.

So, I compromise as best I can to keep me the driest by spending only the amount I can get away with for my specific riding wants, and gamble that cost of gear I did pony up for, will do the job.

That sounds kind of trite and obvious, but having ridden enough in rain over the years, and knowing that I will be riding in rain no matter what, I went through the experimental phases of rain gear: none, cheapest, cheap, economical, mostly satisfactory, and finally, happy with.

The exact type of gear and the cost, like other unmentionable "what is the best...?" topics, there are just too many variables to make any kind of 100% statement.

I had an unpleasant pill to swallow getting a lot of my gear, and was willing to a point, but no more past a certain $$$ point before balking. That level is different for everybody.

Having ridden with KLIM gear, it is fantastic and truly all weather and waterproof. However, it's going to cost you upwards of $1500 for a set. Plus, even the KLIM stuff breaks down after 4-5 hours in a torrential downpour and you get wet. Ask me how I know.

I now ride with a pair of BILT textile pants, a Teknic textile jacket - both are supposedly "waterproof breathable", but really only keep out minor water. I pack a 2 piece Joe Rocket PVC over suit that isn't breathable but cost $50 and outlasted my KLIM gear in downpours. Simple.

I picked up a set of almost new Klim gear for cheap on ADV rider. I tested it last week on my recent trip. Weather was anywhere between 100* and sunny (dry), to 50* and rainy in the PNW. It held up well to the rain, and it did surprisingly well in the heat. Would I pay full retail for it? Probably not.

Having ridden with KLIM gear, it is fantastic and truly all weather and waterproof. However, it's going to cost you upwards of $1500 for a set. Plus, even the KLIM stuff breaks down after 4-5 hours in a torrential downpour and you get wet. Ask me how I know.

If your Gortex gear is leaking and it is not just coming in around the collar or up the sleeves, under the jacket.. you should contact the manufacturer as Gortex gear has a lifetime warranty and they are very good about replacing faulty Gortex gear with comparable gear of YOUR CHOICE. There are quite a few threads over on ADV Rider with riders praising Manufacturers OR Gore Tex itself for being so good about replacing gear.

My recent trip I did 5 hours in the rain one day and 6 another. The only water that got in was up under the jacket where I had not zipped the adjuster closed so it was blowing up under the jacket. I learned to check as it was 48 degrees that day and it was quite COLD when the dampness got in!

If you are wanting something for commuting around in, I go back to that Olympia gear. If you already have a riding jacket, it will go over the jacket. I have a secondary jacket I will wear and it fits nicely over. I know the olympia stuff works well because I have been caught out in a downpour for a few hours coming home from a long trip.

I have been caught with the Klim gear out in hours of torrents, and the only place I got damp was around the neck (in the back) and at the wrists. I have no complaints on the Klim gear at all.

My first ride in the rain with the klim gear got me soaked - forgot to close the vents... You still have to be smarter than the equipment you are working with...

Olympia has zippers all the way to the waist on the version I had. I used it at least ten years and was happy with it even though I had to keep waterproofing it with the tech wash every other year or so.

That thing vented very well also with vents that unzipped all the way up the sleeves, plus two chest vents and back vents. It wasn't stiff out heavy either.

I did eventually get wet in long rides in the rain when the waterproofing was getting old though. It was a low cost solution that worked well for me but required regular maintenance to keep it waterproof.

Sent from my Moto X Pure using Tapatalk

Back