• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PR4 vs PR3? Who has had both?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in southern AZ, so it very nearly doesn't rain. When it does rain, I rarely ride because it's either just enough to bring all the oil and slick stuff to the surface of the road, or else it's a flash flood. So wet road performance is essentially irrelevant to me.

Durability differences between the two? Grip (other than in the wet)? Turn-in and/or cornering?

Thanks.

To be fair/honest, I'm almost certain to go with another Conti-Motion, as the Michelins are twice the money everywhere I look, but I'm still quite curious and may try a PR, depending...

I can't tell much difference between the PR3 and PR4 in handling. The PR4 is supposed to last longer than the PR3, but I have a few more miles with the PR4 before I can verify that.

On my previous bike (Suzuki GSF1250SA) i have used 2 or 3 sets of PR3. A great tire with long milage.

On my NC i now have PR4, about 4.000 km / 2.500 miles until now. PR3 on my NC lasted 17.500 km / 11.000 miles.
(rear was worn down, front could have done 2-3.000 km more)

Unless you can get PR3 a lot cheaper, i would go for PR4.
But anyway both are great sport touring tyres

UPDATE. Regarding handling, i'm with Turbo and Fuzzy

Last edited:
I have a set of PR3's waiting to go on my bike when the DunCraps are done giving crappy mileage. The center of the tread on the rear tire is flat and quite squared off after only 2600 miles or so of mostly state highway roads not Interstates.

Preferred vendor doesn't have the Contis and they're on backorder for a couple weeks. So, going with a PR4. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. It'll have to last 20-25k miles to be cost-effective for me, though.

I have a rear PR4 that I bought used from another member that I'm about to mount. I also have a new rear Motion waiting to be used someday. One thing I thought was odd is the difference in the sidewall stiffness of the two. With one hand I can squeeze the two beads together until they touch on the PR4, whereas on the Motion I can hardly budge them an inch. It's like the Motion sidewalls are twice as thick. I'm have no idea what that means out on the road, but I'll bet the PR4 is a lot easier to mount on the rim.

I now know why the No-Mar tire changing demo guy at the motorcycle show chose the PR4 to mount and dismount 150 times a day at the show.

It'll have to last 20-25k miles to be cost-effective for me, though.
Maybe I'm missunderstanding that comment but if your suggesting getting 20K from a PR4 I don't see that happening unless you run it down until it is completely bald and unsafe.

I'm on my second set of PR4s. My first set lasted 12K. I could have pushed it to 14K or maybe even 15K if I felt real froggy. The second tire is at 4K now and still looking pretty good but I am beginning to see the flat spot at the center of the tire. I primarily communte so the tires get a lot of work down the center.

There is no way my tire would have made it to 20K.

I have about 8,300 miles on my PR4's and don't see them
making it past 12,000 miles. Commander 2's are supposed to do 24,000 miles on heavy bikes, but they're bias tires.

Preferred vendor doesn't have the Contis and they're on backorder for a couple weeks. So, going with a PR4. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. It'll have to last 20-25k miles to be cost-effective for me, though.

Maybe I'm missunderstanding that comment but if your suggesting getting 20K from a PR4 I don't see that happening unless you run it down until it is completely bald and unsafe.

I'm on my second set of PR4s. My first set lasted 12K. I could have pushed it to 14K or maybe even 15K if I felt real froggy. The second tire is at 4K now and still looking pretty good but I am beginning to see the flat spot at the center of the tire. I primarily communte so the tires get a lot of work down the center.

There is no way my tire would have made it to 20K.

I believe MZ5 means that, since the PR4 costs substantially more than a Conti Motion, the PR4 would need to last much longer to be comparable in miles per dollar. No, it won't likely last the 20-25K miles to break even in value with the Motion.

I believe MZ5 means that, since the PR4 costs substantially more than a Conti Motion, the PR4 would need to last much longer to be comparable in miles per dollar. No, it won't likely last the 20-25K miles to break even in value with the Motion.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, the above is what I mean. I don't actually _expect_ the PR4 to last 20-25K miles, but if it's as good a tire as most say, it would be nice if it did. :)

Wet or dry, I've ground down the HBP skid plate on my bikewith these tires. I don't think there is a better tire for wet pavement out there from my experience.
I too wish I could get 20,000 miles out of them.

I can't comment on the PR3s, but I can say that the PR4s are the first tires that I've had that required virtually no "break-in". As well as being excellent in the wet, they work great when cold. That means that when you pull out of the driveway in the morning the tires "work" right away, they are up to temp before you or the engine are.

I can't comment on the PR3s, but I can say that the PR4s are the first tires that I've had that required virtually no "break-in". As well as being excellent in the wet, they work great when cold. That means that when you pull out of the driveway in the morning the tires "work" right away, they are up to temp before you or the engine are.

Yes the PR4's have fantastic grip in all conditions...even dirt roads...

So my stock Dunlop rear was toast at 1700 miles...

The PR4's were $350 and $40 to mount...kinda pricy but worth every penny ..love them.

Very nice tire for our sweet handling NC..
O6OkcGM.jpg
Cm3lRyv.jpg

Update on my PR4'S I have 9,750 miles on them +/- and the rear is done. I'm confident they would have lasted longer, but my riding style hasn't been good for rear tire durability. Too much down shifting and enjoying the curves.
The Shinko 705 120/70-17 that I ordered got backordered, so I'm going to try a Commander 2 and see if I like it. I'm sure it won't compare to the PR4 for sticking to the pavement, but should outlast it.

Wet or dry, I've ground down the HBP skid plate on my bikewith these tires. I don't think there is a better tire for wet pavement out there from my experience.
I too wish I could get 20,000 miles out of them.

And that right there may be the best reason to pay for them. I would rather pay a little more for rubber than for skin new riding gear or bike parts! this is the reason they will probably go on the daughters bike too.

Back