• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PLASTI-DIP !!! Show us what you GOT !!!

Jay,
I would suggest to someone about to Plasti Dip their bike to:
1) Go slow for the first two coats with about 50% coverage on the first coat.
2) Spray the edges first so you don't get overspray on what you thought would be your final coat on the side that shows.
3) Use washers on screws/bolts that come in contact with the Dipped part so it doesn't twist the rubber coating on the part
4) I think 5 coats would be a minimum but this stuff dries fast and able to re-coat in about 3 minutes (even at high temp and relative humidity)
5) Don't buy too many cans - I only used four and bought six.
6) IF you remove the frunk lid be sure to re-install it before you put the side pieces back on the bike. The bolt that holds the lid won't slide back into the bracket unless the left side is naked. DAMHIK
7) Have fun and go Dip crazy!
Mike

Jay,
I would suggest to someone about to Plasti Dip their bike to:
1) Go slow for the first two coats with about 50% coverage on the first coat.
2) Spray the edges first so you don't get overspray on what you thought would be your final coat on the side that shows.
3) Use washers on screws/bolts that come in contact with the Dipped part so it doesn't twist the rubber coating on the part
4) I think 5 coats would be a minimum but this stuff dries fast and able to re-coat in about 3 minutes (even at high temp and relative humidity)
5) Don't buy too many cans - I only used four and bought six.
6) IF you remove the frunk lid be sure to re-install it before you put the side pieces back on the bike. The bolt that holds the lid won't slide back into the bracket unless the left side is naked. DAMHIK
7) Have fun and go Dip crazy!
Mike

3)I agree here. I didn't use a washer, and ended up screwing up the coating. I had to re-dip...lol. The next time I went to install, i put some spit on the screw head...t wen on nice and smooth...lol

1)Ya, the first 2 coats are not supposed to be 100%. you are just laying a foundation for the real coats. You will get runs if you try to 100% the first two coats.

6) I don't know. I replaced the trunk lid last, and I didn't have a problem. But maybe I'm not understanding you there.

7) Yes Sir !!!! Have at it !!! This stuff is cheap and easy to remove !! Go WILD !!!!!!

Dr. Bug
I am really liking the color change, if you dont mind would you take a few close up shots....maybe angles and in the sun. I would like to see what the smoothness of the plastic looks like

Thanks!!!!

Dr. Bug
I am really liking the color change, if you dont mind would you take a few close up shots....maybe angles and in the sun. I would like to see what the smoothness of the plastic looks like

Thanks!!!!

Jarvis, you are probably better off going down to Home Depot and grabbing a can to experiment with. The faux vent covers come off in jiff and would make great experimental platforms. I think your eyes would be better than any photo for what you want. If you are going to experiment with adding a clear coat, use something besides a bike part. The plasti dip doesn't come off nicely with a standard clear coat.

I am intrigued by the possibilities but also know the results of some of my own rattle can jobs so I went to my dealer and asked for a piece of plastic fairing off a crashed bike or insurance repair bike. I left with a silver cowling piece off a CBR1000R for my own experimentation before committing my NC. Bug Dr's bike looks great but I am not sure I could do the same job.

Only a DR. could pull off such a sweet paint job....:)
Hey(dduelin) will you update me as to how it goes with your experiment........

I am starting with the piece that goes in front of oil filter.i figure it will get the most abuse for a hold up test.and no one will really see it.if all goes good i will do the rest.

It really IS easy, easier than paint as this stuff is not as prone to run. Go slow and try to keep the nozzle parallel to the angle of the plastic piece you are spraying. This is difficult due to all of the angles on this bike. I used a lot of short blasts instead of long strokes. There are obvious exceptions in the frunk lid and lower and upper cowel pieces.

Try it. If I'd doesn't work, keep spraying enough coats to make peeling it off easier. Easier to peel than try to rub off a dusty coat. Clean the pieces and make sure each piece is bone dry before spraying.
You can't screw it up, really!
Mike

I am starting with the piece that goes in front of oil filter.i figure it will get the most abuse for a hold up test.and no one will really see it.if all goes good i will do the rest.

I dipped the center piece of the lower cowel too. I like having a splash of color on the bottom of the bike. Also, that piece didn't match anything on the bike after I made the bike red. It's easy to take apart to spray.
Mike

I have a front fender that I had to replace but is only just scratched up. It should make for the perfect test platform. I ordered the Blaze Yellow, Blaze Purple, Anthracite Grey and some glossifier to see what I like.

I am intrigued by the possibilities but also know the results of some of my own rattle can jobs so I went to my dealer and asked for a piece of plastic fairing off a crashed bike or insurance repair bike. I left with a silver cowling piece off a CBR1000R for my own experimentation before committing my NC. Bug Dr's bike looks great but I am not sure I could do the same job.

It really is so easy !! I used loong passes that start and end beyonfd the edges of what I am spraying... never stop and change directions while still spraying on the plastic. it will result in a doubled area where you stopped to change direction..

Just sweep past. Do not try to cover 100% on your first two coats. t dried very fast. You can recoat within 5 minutes or so... even less on a hot dry day.

I have a front fender that I had to replace but is only just scratched up. It should make for the perfect test platform. I ordered the Blaze Yellow, Blaze Purple, Anthracite Grey and some glossifier to see what I like.

Holy CRAP !!! I wanna see that alsready !!!! I was so tempted to go with the blaze colors. But I wanted to get it done and not have to reorder online. Home depot only had black. But since black was one of my first choices, I just went with it. It turned out to be the right choice for me, because I had to redo it a few times due to various learning curves. I only had to run to the corner instead of wait for mail deliveries.

Honestly, I did like 15 coats. So I used about 16 cans. People have done less, but I found to get more durablility with more coats. The dipyourcar.com guys use a few coats, but they use a high quality spray-gun. The paint-gun makes each coat the equivilent to about 5 coats from a rattle can.... so... tht's what I did...

I really like the anthracite but didn't want to wait to order. I looked at blaze yellow for a second or two. It would need white as a primer coat to really make it pop. Probably the same for all of the blaze colors.
Mike

Back