• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pinlock faceshield and lens

Those of you who have a GMax helmet (54 and 78) can get the pinlock technology of a double-paned shield for $30.... [HERE]

My very short morning commute is causing fogging problems, so I went looking.

Are you guys with Nolan lids still on your original insert? Does that insert have the silicone bead? My original insert (with bead) became loose (would no longer hold enough tension to keep the bead sealed). The replacement I ordered DID NOT have the bead and is not nearly as effective. I may end up picking up another Scorpion as their fog free shields are fantastic (no pinlock needed).

I did call Nolan and they confirmed that both versions are out there and the the insert should perform the same with out without the bead. I'm no rocket scientist, but without the trapped air between shields, I can't see how it can be effective.

Last edited:
Are you guys with Nolan lids still on your original insert? Does that insert have the silicone bead? My original insert (with bead) became loose (would no longer hold enough tension to keep the bead sealed). The replacement I ordered DID NOT have the bead and is not nearly as effective. I may end up picking up another Scorpion as their fog free shields are fantastic (no pinlock needed).

My pinlock is the original that came with the helemt. I do not believe there is a silicon bead. I'm almost 100% but I'll check once I'm off work.

My Nolan 104 came with a pinlock with a silicone edge. I just got a smoked replacement shield and ordered a pinlock for that, it also had the silicone edge. Both are rock solid.

I did call Nolan and they confirmed that both versions are out there and the the insert should perform the same with out without the bead. I'm no rocket scientist, but without the trapped air between shields, I can't see how it can be effective.

I was correct. Mine does not have a bead. When I think back I remember the sales manager running up to me before I left because they forgot to give me the pinlock. I imagine each brand helmet needs a specific shape but I have to wonder if he gave me the correct one since DominusFL's has the silicon bead.

I was correct. Mine does not have a bead. When I think back I remember the sales manager running up to me before I left because they forgot to give me the pinlock. I imagine each brand helmet needs a specific shape but I have to wonder if he gave me the correct one since DominusFL's has the silicon bead.
The pinlock works by having a thin air space between the pinlock and main shield. The very small bead around the edge provides a seal and the separation. It is a very thin bead and could go unnoticed.

Back