• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ping or rattle ???.

I did a little experimenting this morning.I only here the noise in 5th and 6th now,in 6th the noise is at ANY throttle opening in the 2800-3200 range.If I hold it at say 1/4 throttle around 2800 rpm's and then go WOT the noise is still there until I pass about 3200 rpm's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some more testing tonight on the way home.
If I go WOT in the lower gears ( 2/3/4 ) There is no noticeable sound but there is a slight hesitation in the 2800-3200 rpm range.

My motor doesn't much like below 3000 rpm's in 6th gear either so I don't do that. Do yourself and your motor a favor and don't lug it so much. A NC 700 is much happier at 4000 rpm.

The NC engine was made for low RPM running mine runs smoothly as low as about 2200 RPM, hard to know exactly since the blocks on the tach are 200 RPM each but I'd say 2000 RPM ought to be doable. What kind of gas do you run? The NC really likes regular. A lot of people think they're doing themselves a favor by putting premium but premium fuel burns slower and with a motor spinning slower like in the NC you might get some rougher running if the fuel doesn't burn faster than the cylinder goes up and down.

If you're not used to riding low RPM big twins like on cruisers at lower RPM's it's perfectly normal to hear and feel each power pulse of the engine which may or may not cause some things to sound like knocking or pinging. But real pinging is distinct and you know it. It has that ka-tuk ka-tuk ka-tuk or tink-a-tink sound. As long as the engine isn't stumbling on you're probably fine. Real pinging and knocking occurs especially at open throttle low rpm conditions such as on roll on acceleration.

Twin cam Harley Road Glide pinging - YouTube

This is pinging. Notice you can even hear it over the loud pipes. In real life you know if you're pinging or not.

That sounds pretty close to the sound that mines making but mine is a little more rattley.
I have always run 87 octane fuel. Within the next couple weeks I will do a valve adjust and air filter change and go from there.

If it's that loud that it's louder than loud pipes but rattley I'd take it to your dealer and have them check it out. Could be a problem something like a loose cam chain tensioner. Or poorly adjusted valves. But either way something is wrong if it's making loud rattling sounds.

I was out on my NC yesterday and I gave some thought to this thread. I listened for all and any noises on my bike in all conditions. There are two distinct noises. One is an almost metallic somewhat high pitched ping which is only evident during full or almost full, throttle openings. In short it is heard only under heavy acceleration in most gears. This was discussed at some length on this forum some time ago. It is coming from the Airbox intake and is normal. It heard from just behind the steering stem on the bike which is where the intake is positioned.

The other sound is a rattle which bugged the hell out of me for several thousand Kms. I eventually traced it to the lid of the Frunk. The latch rattles when the bike rolls over any roughness or ridges on the road. It doesn't necessarily have to be on dirt roads. It can happen anywhere. Next time you hear this sound, rest one hand firmly on the lid of the Frunk and see if it stops.

Apart from these two noises there is nothing else. The bike runs efficiently and smoothly. If neither of these sources are the cause of your noise then you need a trip to the dealer.

Back