• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Phuel phenomenon

I don't know why the non ethanol of the same octane would improve mileage, but I am no engineer. The ethanol problem is the water it brings.

90 v. 87 or so octane would matter.

If you do the math based on BTU content of pure gasoline and ethanol, you'll find a 10% ethanol blend will have 3% less potential energy content than straight gasoline. I experimented with this a while back using a Ninja 250, and found an actual real world mpg difference of 3%, so the math held true.

Energy equivalents here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Filling up with 74 miles on the tank is way, way too small of a sample, and subject to the variation in how full is full. Run at least 1000 miles on the pure gas before even thinking about drawing any conclusions. The 3% variation is going to be hard to pick out amongs the other variables such as temperature and riding style.

The octane level has nothing to do with it as the NC would not benefit from a higher octane than recommended (86 R+M/2, AKA pump octane, if I recall correctly).

I get 80+ mpg quite often on 10% ethanol, but it's my riding style that gets me the good mileage. The price difference for pure gas in my area is way higher than 3%, so it's not worth it to me to buy it, if I can even find it anymore. We have been using "gasohol" where I live for probably 15-20 years.

Last edited:
The NC does not have a knock sensor so no spark timing adjustment based on fuel octane.

We have been down the premium vs regular gas many times before and the NC does just fine on regular and likely gets no benefit from premium.

The likely difference is 100% pure gas vs 90% gas.
One fill does not make a perfect test as there can be many other variables.
I regularly use regular non- ethanol fuel that is about .20 more per gallon. I see a 10-15 % gain in MPG but it's often a wash on the value.

In a vehicle with a knock sensor 10-20% gain would be possible with the octane change and no ethanol.
No ethanol premium often is .50-.90 more per gallon which makes any gains too high based on the cost.

Many areas or regions no ethanol gas is just not available.

The real value on non-ethanol fuel is seasonal storage. All my small engines ( chain saw, weed wacker, generators, mowers, blowers, tillers, outboard, ATVs) get non ethanol gas ( with stabilizer) all the time every time.

Last edited:
Join Fuelly and track tanks for a while. An average over time will be accurate enough to draw conclusions.

I run ethanol 87 octane in my NC and get in the very high 70s to 82mpg and this includes some interstate riding. I have put one tank of 100% gasoline and could not tell any difference. In my cruiser I run 87 octane and locally use 100%. On a trip I use whatever 87 octane is cheapest. Runs good on either and it has 6 cylinders along with six carbs. When setting up for a week or two I always put in 100%.

Join Fuelly and track tanks for a while. An average over time will be accurate enough to draw conclusions.

For what it's worth, here's my data: (screen captured from Fuelly)
448 Fuel Ups, 75,000 miles,
65.0 MPG (last 10 fuel ups)
65.9 MPG (448 fuel ups)
fuellcap.jpg

and even more data (mpg for the UK crowd)
fuellcap3.jpg

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if you rode more conservatively for those 74 miles, even if you weren't consciously trying to, just because you wanted to see results.

Filling up with 74 miles on the tank is way, way too small of a sample, and subject to the variation in how full is full. Run at least 1000 miles on the pure gas before even thinking about drawing any conclusions. The 3% variation is going to be hard to pick out amongs the other variables such as temperature and riding style.

But if a portion of fuel used is replace by the same and the miles recorded are divided by that portion then that is the mpg for that portion of fuel. No more no less not at indication of anything other than the numbers. I do not expect that will be a consistent return, high 80s is great. I was simply stating that the only variation in my normal running was the non-eth.
There will be all kinds of unaccounted variation is what some of us are saying. Besides the small fuel burn you would have to ride the same route, same speed, same temperature,same shift points, same humidity, same wind, same traffic, same pump, same gasoline sample, filled to exactly the same point. That's why there are standardized methods like the WMTC or EPA test cycle to remove as much variation as possible.

It is expected that non ethanol with more BTU per volume would return slightly better mpg. Nobody disputes that and your results are still interesting.

Sorry I started this, just an observation and sharing that, not stating this as a norm or constant, if anything I filled the tank over what was originally used. Next time I'll just keep it to myself.

Sorry I started this, just an observation and sharing that, not stating this as a norm or constant, if anything I filled the tank over what was originally used. Next time I'll just keep it to myself.

I think you are taking this the wrong way. As dduelin suggested, few people, if anyone, doubts that the fuel mileage is better with non ethanol gas. That is to be expected. But I, for one, feel your mpg improvement could be better verified and quantified with a larger sample size. Please report back with your findings over a longer time period. It will be interesting to note what difference you achieve with pure gas vs. 10% ethanol blend.

Whatever though, it's your thread.

Back