• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

performance chip

Don't take it personally, but prepare for incoming (*incomiiiiing!*) [explosion] :D

So many red flags get raised by this ad, (and all their ilk) I don't know where to start lol

It boils down to this, basically: it is a simple resister that subverts the variable voltage from the appropriate temperature sensor used to the ECU so that it always reads cold. When the ECU thinks it's cold, it tweaks the timing a little bit and/or the amount of fuel that gets to the injectors, increasing the amount slightly.

I'm not sure how they can claim an increase in fuel economy. If a bike is way over rich (too much fuel) then you can increase power and fuel economy by making it leaner, (giving it less fuel) and that makes sense. If a bike is running too lean, you can increase the amount of fuel, and you can make more power. This resistor would only be able to increase the amount of fuel used, not air + fuel, therefore logically, your economy would have to go down, not up.

In both of those cases above, it also depends on having the correct amount of air supplied to make it work in the first place, (almost always being more versus less, of course) and this "chip" does not, and cannot, address that. So increasing the amount of fuel and a possible few degrees of timing, but with no increase in air intake, then I don't see the possibility of even better fuel economy thrown in, anymore than an increase in horsepower.

may work for those who have changed the air filter and removed the catalyst and open muffler. then "maybe" more gasoline can give a little 'more power.

Hello all. Long time listener, first time caller.

Thought I'd revive this thread, as after a year of considering the 700X as my next bike, I finally demo'd one yesterday.

Overall thoughts were good. Ergonomics are almost a perfect fit, the balance is wonderful, love the upright, motocross-like riding position and it feels like it's not even there - like you're riding on air. Incredible lightness overall, which made going back to my bike (Bandit 1200) feel like riding a tank.

The one thing that got me though, was the thing pulls like a tractor (and sounds like one too for goodness sake- far cry from my TIE fighter sounding Bandit, lol). So the question is, *has* anyone on this board actually done performance mods and how did they effect the powerband and ride? There are a few suggestions listed in this thread but it doesn't seem like there's anything forthcoming from first hand experience.

I fully recognize that it's "horses for courses" and am *not* looking to try turn a 700X into a sport tourer - would just like to know if there's a way to make that John Deere engine a little more perky and maybe tap into some getaway speed for passing long lines of traffic...?

Also, I do a lot of engine braking when I ride and the 700 seemed to be trying to do that for me. Was I imagining things or is that the way it is? If so, is it a setting that can be switched off?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Thought I'd revive this thread, as after a year of considering the 700X as my next bike, I finally demo'd one yesterday.

Overall thoughts were good. Ergonomics are almost a perfect fit, the balance is wonderful, love the upright, motocross-like riding position and it feels like it's not even there - like you're riding on air. Incredible lightness overall, which made going back to my bike (Bandit 1200) feel like riding a tank.

The one thing that got me though, was the thing pulls like a tractor (and sounds like one too for goodness sake- far cry from my TIE fighter sounding Bandit, lol). So the question is, *has* anyone on this board actually done performance mods and how did they effect the powerband and ride? There are a few suggestions listed in this thread but it doesn't seem like there's anything forthcoming from first hand experience.

I fully recognize that it's "horses for courses" and am *not* looking to try turn a 700X into a sport tourer - would just like to know if there's a way to make that John Deere engine a little more perky and maybe tap into some getaway speed for passing long lines of traffic...?

Also, I do a lot of engine braking when I ride and the 700 seemed to be trying to do that for me. Was I imagining things or is that the way it is? If so, is it a setting that can be switched off?

Cheers.

Your in Canada, why are you looking at a 700? We have the 750 available to us.

Cheers.

Hiya! :)

My first instinct is to say a fairly probable "no" on the performance thing. There may be some incredibly minor improvements, but IMHO for the most part it's a placebo effect. Sure, maybe a full cat delete exhaust and K&N etc., might show a wee bit on a dyno pull chart, but real world? I think it would be tough to notice. Maybe adding a couple teeth on the rear sprocket. Putting on an aftermarket muffler sure makes the bike *sound* like a different, fire breathing perky beast, and consequently may enhance the perceived performance with all the Ducati-like deep bass and crackling popping on the over run, but it would surprise me if the slightest benefit was made. Some could argue a detraction going that route as well, and I wouldn't bet against them.

I'm not quite following you on the engine braking thing? You do a lot of engine braking, but found the NC trying to do it for you? Did you maybe mean to say you *don't* do a lot, and really notice it on the NC? Coming from an inline four, you will really notice the long stroke twin's compression for sure, as far as getting away from that, hmmm. The only thing I can think of is to stay in a higher gear longer, do the braking with hand and foot, then if acceleration is needed or shifting down for a slower speed after braking is done, pull in the clutch and bang down several gears at once.

That's my personal style anyway. I don't really care what gear I'm in when I brake, no matter the speed. I just do whatever braking I need, and then ratchet down the gears to the one I figure I now want, and ease the clutch back out at a proper rev match. I never really slow down on a bike by downshifting gear by gear, in a reverse pattern of upshifting, if you follow me.

Last edited:
I can't answer on how to make the engine more perky but it may be a good idea to check out the 750S as Ruggybuggy was suggesting. You can search out comparing the 700 to the 750 and see if that sounds like what your looking for. A few more hp and some gearing changes...

Cheers :)

Back