• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Parking garage/intersection inductive sensors and motorcycles

jggassert

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A few days a week I have to (begrudgingly) head into center city Philadelphia. There is a parking garage across the street and street "meter" parking 2 blocks away. I prefer to park in the garage because it's validated. The problem is that the inductive loop/sensor on the ground doesn't sense the "Silver Falcon". It won't activate the entry ticket dispenser.

My first thoughts are to get a skid plate, but I'm not quite ready for a $600-$700 purchase like that yet...could I possibly attach something else? Maybe a 25-50 lb magnet? Would that work? I don't wanna pick up any road debris along the way, or disrupt anything on the bike.

I'm up for suggestions, and I'm willing to try any inexpensive suggestions. I know that this group will provide me with some, shall we say, creative suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried positioning the Falcon along the edge of the loop and putting the kickstand down? Usually being on the edge of the loop is more effective than being in the center of it.

A magnet is not really necessary. The idea is to position enough metal in the loop to affect the inductance of the coil, or in other words, detune it.

Last edited:
Try to have both wheels on same line at same time. Some lines in the loop senses better than others. One gate I go thorough I have to pull parallel to to trip the sensor

Not to hijack...but ;-)

My bike won't trip most traffic control lights....I simply look left, right, left again and run them....anyone else?

Don't most parking dispensers have a big manual button to pop out the ticket, just in case??
Down here in SoCal, they do.

In most cases yes, and in this particular case, you have to push the button, but if you don't trip the sensor nothing happens with the button.

Not to hijack...but ;-)

My bike won't trip most traffic control lights....I simply look left, right, left again and run them....anyone else?

In the state of Illinois, outside of the city of Chicago, it is legal to proceed through a malfunctioning red traffic light after a specific wait period, which I think is two minutes. Check your state laws as others may have a similar one.

Last edited:
In my experience, and from what I've read, all that matters is amount and proximity of metal surface area. I can trip lights better on a 20lb bicycle with skinny tires than a 400lb moto. If i can see the saw cuts where the loop is, putting my kickstand on the line almost always works. if you can't see the loop, it's tough.

Last edited:
I didn't even think to check this first...I'll try magnets first, and then maybe try this. I have a few laying around somewhere.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/amanet-red-light-changer

I have one of these and I can't say it works all the time, if at all. I don't think the magnet is strong enough.

I have some super strong magnets I got off of amazon that I want to try. We'll see that works better

In the state of Illinois, outside of the city of Chicago, it is legal to proceed through a malfunctioning red traffic light after a specific wait period, which I think is two minutes. Check your state laws as others may have a similar one.

Unfortunately, PA doesn't have a law like that...no helmet law, but no "proceed through red light" law either...not to say I've never done so.

What does PA say about malfunctioning traffic detection devices?

§ 3112. Traffic-control signals.

(c) Inoperable or malfunctioning signal.--If a traffic-control signal is out of operation or is not functioning properly, vehicular traffic facing a:
(1) Green or yellow signal may proceed with caution as indicated in subsection (a)(1) and (2).
(2) Red or completely unlighted signal shall stop in the same manner as at a stop sign, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign as provided in section 3323 (relating to stop signs and yield signs).
(Dec. 21, 1998, P.L.1126, No.151, eff. 60 days)

1998 Amendment. Act 151 amended subsec. (a)(3).
Cross References. Section 3112 is referred to in sections 1535, 3116, 3117, 3326, 3541 of this title.

Although this applies if the entire intersections light is malfunctioning. Not just a detection device.

Note: Pennsylvania House Bill 590 (2009 session) stated: (b.1) Pedalcycle or motorcycle.--Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a pedalcycle or motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the pedalcycle or motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so.” This bill was removed from the table in June 2010 and is presumably dead. We have not yet confirmed this as of August 2010.

I have this magnet on my rear swingarm. It makes a difference in some cases. The most obvious for me was a sensor to open a gate to exit my employee parking lot. You could probably get the same effect by using a much cheaper generic magnet. Like others have said, try to line up with the edge of the sensor loop in the ground. I've heard, but not verified, that the corner where the wires exit the loop is the most sensitive. Also, you might try rolling or bouncing on the sensor. Anything to get the metal you do have to affect the sensor's magnetic field.

Permanent magnets almost certainly don't work any more than a chunk of metal. Electromagnets like your starter might register, but in most cases, the signal computer needs a steady signal from the loop.

http://www.marshproducts.com/pdf/Inductive Loop Write up.pdf

Even if you can't get it on the wire, putting your kickstand down, or boots with metal in them will increase the amount of metal nearly in-plane with the loop. I might try foil tape under my insoles.

§ 3112. Traffic-control signals.

(c) Inoperable or malfunctioning signal.--If a traffic-control signal is out of operation or is not functioning properly, vehicular traffic facing a:
(1) Green or yellow signal may proceed with caution as indicated in subsection (a)(1) and (2).
(2) Red or completely unlighted signal shall stop in the same manner as at a stop sign, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign as provided in section 3323 (relating to stop signs and yield signs).
(Dec. 21, 1998, P.L.1126, No.151, eff. 60 days)

1998 Amendment. Act 151 amended subsec. (a)(3).
Cross References. Section 3112 is referred to in sections 1535, 3116, 3117, 3326, 3541 of this title.

Although this applies if the entire intersections light is malfunctioning. Not just a detection device.

If it was me, and IF I was cited, I would argue that the detection device is an integral part of the traffic control system, because the signal cannot and will not work correctly if it fails to detect traffic. Furthermore, if the system fails to detect a legal road vehicle, it must be malfunctioning.

But that's just what I'd do. That amendment you cited really isn't necessary, IMO, although I can see how people might view it as useful.

Back