• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PA to WA need accessory advice

jggassert

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning an approx 6,000 mile round trip from Philly to Lopez Island WA. Stuff I want to add...

Large panniers
Top case
Mounts for panniers and top case
Tall windscreen
Bark busters
Throttle lock
Tires (TKC70's perhaps?)
Riding gear
Custom seat (local shop will do it)
Replacement plate for rear seat

I am not trying to break the bank, but realize all of this cost me about $2K-$4K to add everything! I am looking for suggestions so I don't overkill and maybe save a few bucks.

Do not have firm dates for trip yet, but it will either be this spring or in August. Planning 3 weeks to complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curious as to why would you dual sport tires on for a 6,000 mile trip (presumably mostly pavement)? There are better, longer lasting, tire options for that chore. The Conti Motions come to mind, but there are tons of others

I'd spend a little more time on researching and testing out the tall windscreen. For some, a bad combination of your height and the height if the screen might make the wind buffing even worse. Also, I'd look into highway pegs

Spring is tricky in the Cascade range. Sometimes spring in the Washington passes is April and sometimes it's mid June. The roads are usually clear but it can get cold at the top of the passes. August is always(ish) nice.

I really like audio books for long rides. A wired set of helmet speakers runs $35-$75 but Bluetooth is awesome.

Last edited:
Ohhhh, I'm jealous. Couple of years ago, I read "The Black Silent" by David Dun, which introduced me to the San Juan Islands. I've wanted to visit ever since.

I'd recommend highway pegs for that ride. You can do it for $60 through J&P Cycles. The part numbers are below. I coated mine in black Plasti-Dip before installing.

- Pegs (JP# 5300045) - $18
- Clamps (JP# 330545) - $23
- Clevis (JP# 5300371) - $20

IMG_2576_zps3e352729.jpg

I would wait till August, or at the minimum, late July.

A member from another forum made a cross-country trip in May from New Jersey to Washington State. He did a lot of miles to get here, but saw nothing but rain and fog here. The disappointment on his face when he had to leave finally, was very evident.

If you want to see some of the best country in Washington State, the North Cascades Highway doesn't open till around mid-June. Artist Point at Mt. Baker opens usually in late late July. Or doesn't open at all. It is such a wonderful ride, that I have done it three times in one summer and skipped other rides because it was so fantastic. Mt. St. Helens doesn't open either till late June. And the snow in the area will blanket the area in fog.

I recommend bringing some boots you can do some light hiking with. Artist Point is one in particular that I think of. I see so many people pull up to the parking lot. Get off their bikes. Walk around for 15 minutes, and leave. If you go to the end of the parking lot, you can walk a trail that is mostly level and see some jaw dropping scenery.

I too would recommend different tires. The Michelin PR4 tires will give you long life for this kind of trip, and do well no matter what kind of weather you're riding in.

Chris

Me and my wife did a April trip to Seattle from Minneapolis in 2014, we took the car (and the dog).

We got stuck in the snow trying to get into a campground in Montana, my rear brake pads wore out just before the Idaho border, in the mountains we experienced dense fog and freezing rain, along with a 20 degree change in temperature.

When we were in Seattle it was actually a fairly nice experience, it "rained" in the mornings (drizzle, but the locals seemed to think it was rain...) but cleared up for the afternoons... we spent most of our time outside as we had the dog with us... wasn't bad at all.

On the way back we had hail in the mountains, along with some snow, and light freezing rain, car only slide once on ice the whole trip (wasn't that much ice on the highway) but on the bike it could have ended very badly.

So be weary of traveling early... Seattle seemed to be about 2 months ahead of Minneapolis when it came to weather (judging by the strawberry blooms) and the mountains between here and there seemed to be about 2-3 months behind Minneapolis when it came to weather (judging by the snow and freezing rain).

I agree with what others say about the timing of your trip. Late summer to early fall is the best time to see the Pacific NW. You might want to look in to the plate that Hondabikepro makes to replace the pillion seat. You can get one with a cutout that makes easy gas filling. I really like my Madstad windscreen because it is so adjustable. I tried two others, but, for me, the Madstad is the best. Finding the right windscreen is tricky because there are so many variables that go into it, and its too bad you can't "ride and test" before you purchase. Make sure your 'local shop' has experience making seats for the type of bike like the NC. I tried that route with poor results. The person that was recommended to me did great work on cruiser style seats, but did not know how to build (modify) a seat for a bike like the NC. I'm not saying don't go with a local shop, only do your homework first. And there are some very good after-market options out there (e.g. Corbin, Sargent, Seat Concepts, Shad, etc.)

back to gear.....I reccommend the Tusk panniers they are 36 or 37 liters each. At $250 they are the best buy out there. The racks will run just shy of $200 and are Givi racks. You will have to mount the panniers to the rack by drilling some as the rack isn't made specifically for the panniers. The price difference between the Tusk panniers and the other $1,000+ panniers is worth drilling a few holes! Nortwestrider can vouch for this set-up.
Tusk panniers-
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...num-Pannier-Boxes-(Pair)?term=tusk%20panniers
Givi rack-
Givi PL1111 Side Case Racks Honda NC700X 2012-2014 - RevZilla

When I take a multi-day trip, I just remove the pillion seat and put a towel in it's place. My duffel bag sits on top of that area with just enough clearance to put gas in without removing it. I'm poor, or I'd buy the rear seat replacement thing.

Last edited:
I think you are thinking the right items. For the items you mentioned, what I chose are:

Large panniers: Givi Trekker Outbacks. Started with just top case Trekker and then changed it to an outback (52) and two sides (3x something). Really like them. I take them on and off (side) all the time as I commute without them and they are sturdy but fast to swap and look good (IMO) on the bike. Ordered online from Italy (Motosport or ?) and saved 20%+ even with shipping.
Top case: Givi Trekker Outback big (52 or ?). Have it on all the time, really like it, pics in the thread about panniers.
Mounts for panniers and top case: Outbacks take different side rack mounts than trekkers, FYI.
Tall windscreen: Havent taken the plunge. Sounds like Magstad is well liked but I sort of like the stock one and clean air.
Bark busters: I have the Barkbuster Storms from twisted throttle, need to coordinate this purchase with your throttle lock and heated grips so that they all work together.
Throttle lock: Kaoko (sp?) from Twisted Throttle
Tires (TKC70's perhaps?): Depends on the road, dirt vs paved. I have street tires but live on a dirt road and the low CG on the bike makes it doable for basic roads at low speed ok.
Riding gear: Dont save $ here. I really really really like the goretex KLIM. I went with the cycle gear adventure package for a year and its a great bargain but didnt hold up, didnt have the protection (CE rated pads) and all the features of the KLIM. Having the gear double as your wet weather gear is great, it vents well also.
Custom seat (local shop will do it): Havent done that yet, I have a $60 airhawk and it fits my needs
Replacement plate for rear seat : the hondasomething guy here on the forums makes one where it allows you to mount stuff and access the fuel tank without lifting up the seat/plate. I love it, looks great, works great and I added a locking gas cap (do a search, its from a Honda scooter or grom or something)

Also:
Heated Grips: I went with the cheaper ones from twisted throttle
Highway Pegs: I have the ones twisted throttle sells that mount to the SW Moto engine guards
Bluetooth: Cant ride without it! Love the music streaming from the phone!
Phone Holder: The X mount going to Ram Mount works great. Great for navigation, kindle book, mp3 player, phone, etc.
Tools: Find a kit or make a kit that has the rear and front axle nut size, small air compressor, tire kit
Heated Gear: I just went with the cheap jacket liner and gloves liner from Cycle Gear, havent tried them yet but look good.
AAA Motorcycle Card
Extra Fuel: I went with the two tubes with 30oz MSR bottles that you'll see online, gives me 60oz extra if I run out.

For a trip like that, join the AMA and get roadside assistance included. Covers ALL your vehicles, unlike AAA (only excludes utility trailers).

When I take a multi-day trip, I just remove the pillion seat and put a towel in it's place. My duffel bag sits on top of that area with just enough clearance to put gas in without removing it. I'm poor, or I'd buy the rear seat replacement thing.

I followed itlives' advice this summer and removed my rear seat on my trip through NM and CO, strapping my dry bag on top. Great advice, made fuel stops quick and painless. You can see the filler cap under my giant dry bag here, kind of.

IMAG0339 by treybrad, on Flickr

Other must haves are highway pegs as mentioned, and whatever screen works best for you -- which can be tricky to find, I've gone through 3 different aftermarket ones now.

Hard luggage is nice, but if you're trying to do this cheap, and don't normally need it, there's nothing wrong with cheaper soft luggage and DIY racks outlined here on the site.

Good luck!

trey

Good post, fastring.

Good to know, Greg.

Nice pic, treybad. Glad my "no seat" idea worked for you. It definitely works for me.

Last edited:
I am not trying to break the bank, but realize all of this cost me about $2K-$4K to add everything! I am looking for suggestions so I don't overkill and maybe save a few bucks.
Three weeks to ride 6,000 miles?? Are you taking a motorcycle or a bicycle? :)

The only thing you need is <maybe> a pair of inexpensive soft bags to toss over the seat and a $20 throttle lock. For more comfort you could drop $240 on a Vstream 22 inch tall windscreen and you should be good to go...

No mention of a GPS...I presume you already have one mounted.

Riding gear? What is wrong with the stuff you have now? If it isn't waterproof you can buy a set of Frogg Troggs cheap that you can put over your suit. Will also block any wind an keep you warm in cold weather.

Three weeks out and back is under 300 miles/day....That should be cake on the stock seat.

Barkbusters are for when you hit branches on the trail (hence the name). Unless you are doing this ride in the woods, save your money. I put them on my bike and they are pretty useless..They do look cool though ;-)

I have no idea what you mean (or the purpose) of taking off the passenger seat and replacing it with a steel plate...What can you mount on the plate that you can't mount on the passenger seat? A fuel cell? Again, the steel plates do look pretty cool with a sleeping bag bungeed to it ;-)

I rode from Portland Maine to Seattle WA over Memorial Day weekend...Left Friday morning and was in Seattle on Sunday. Hit a snow storm in Montana that delayed me for about five hours....Wasn't a bad ride but it was a l-o-n-g boring one.....

If you are riding in "stop and smell the roses" mode and sticking mostly highways all you will need is some soft bags, a GPS, and maybe a taller windscreen. If you are moving quicker and spending more time on the interstate at elevated speed for long periods then get a throttle lock. Heck they are only $20...get on anyway!

Most of all....have fun and ride safe!

I second the idea on more street orientation tires and start the windshield project now. 2- 3 w/ screens from now you will be closer to your final w/screen

Three weeks to ride 6,000 miles??

I have no idea what you mean (or the purpose) of taking off the passenger seat and replacing it with a steel plate...What can you mount on the plate that you can't mount on the passenger seat? A fuel cell? Again, the steel plates do look pretty cool with a sleeping bag bungeed to it ;-)
I could imagine taking 3 weeks to do 6,000 miles easily. If he were trying to set a record, if would be different. I think it's a vacation....;)

Taking the seat off let's you put gas in without removing whatever you have strapped across the seat. The product that Hondabikepro has has a relief cut into it for the same reason. Replacing the seat with Hondbikepro's product gives a hard surface to strap things to and protects the under the seat things.
If I could, I would get one and retire the pillion seat!

I could imagine taking 3 weeks to do 6,000 miles easily. If he were trying to set a record, if would be different. I think it's a vacation....;)

Taking the seat off let's you put gas in without removing whatever you have strapped across the seat. The product that Hondabikepro has has a relief cut into it for the same reason. Replacing the seat with Hondbikepro's product gives a hard surface to strap things to and protects the under the seat things.
If I could, I would get one and retire the pillion seat!

I second this and I did get one (HondaBikePro's)... perfect fit and the robopax (1.75 G) fits on top and a Wolfman exp bag on top of the robopax. Tried that with Seat and having to take off everytime we got gas was a real PAIN. Now it is a dream..... Thanks Dale...

Last edited:
Back