• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

overfilled my tank

Rob8861

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I accidentally overfilled the gas tank and a small amount got squirted over the seat and under. the stupid pump didn't stop :(.
I quickly cleaned it up with some water and later on when I got home with some cleaning detergent.

should I be worried? will the gas that got spilled under the seat evaporate without digesting my bike?
and what about the gas tank itself? shall I pump some of the gas out? I let it run idle for a bit to try and burn some of it out.

this bike is my baby so I quickly freak out about everything.

Thanks,

Ditto. Nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure there is a drain hose in the tray around the fuel neck that drains safely to the ground. As far as having the tank topped off, I do it every time I fuel up. I fill slowly to the rim, until one more drop would run it over. I cap it off and ride away. No problems over 21,000 miles.

I never depend on the pump shut off on any motorcycle or scooter. I ram in the first couple gallons, then employ close visual observation and run the show manually until it's topped to the rim. I never have any overflow or splashing. If you get a crappy nozzle that won't pump slowly, take note and don't go there again.

Seeing as you're in California, maybe you have those vapor recovery nozzles. If so, I understand they can make things more difficult.

Last edited:
You might want to think about just pulling the seat off and leaving it off overnight. Just to let anything that might be pooled up evaporate. Also to get rid of the fuel odor. Other than that you should be good.

thanks guys, I feel a lot better now haha.

I did a smell test not too long ago and I couldn't smell a thing (except the normal scent of a brand new bike) so looks like it's all been evaporated.

Hi Guys,

I accidentally overfilled the gas tank and a small amount got squirted over the seat and under. the stupid pump didn't stop :(.
I quickly cleaned it up with some water and later on when I got home with some cleaning detergent.

should I be worried? will the gas that got spilled under the seat evaporate without digesting my bike?
and what about the gas tank itself? shall I pump some of the gas out? I let it run idle for a bit to try and burn some of it out.

this bike is my baby so I quickly freak out about everything.

Thanks,

Hey Rob8861, I see you live here in California as I do, and I have found the perfect device to help prevent future overflow problems.
Because we are forced to have the rubber boot on the gas nozzles here, it makes it really difficult to see the gas level as it nears the top.
I made myself one of these out of some 1/8" aluminum that keeps the rubber boot retracted so the nozzle will still allow the gas to pump, but you can now see the gas come up.
I had to experiment with the cutout radius a bit but it works. I think somebody sells these things but I like the DIY mode.

BTW, if it should happen again, just find a water hose WITHOUT a spray nozzle and run some water over the closed gas cap area and seat. This is no worse than being in the rain and it will flush everything off.

Attachments

• 22494_image3.JPG
    22494_image3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Hey Rob8861, I see you live here in California as I do, and I have found the perfect device to help prevent future overflow problems.
Because we are forced to have the rubber boot on the gas nozzles here, it makes it really difficult to see the gas level as it nears the top.
I made myself one of these out of some 1/8" aluminum that keeps the rubber boot retracted so the nozzle will still allow the gas to pump, but you can now see the gas come up.
I had to experiment with the cutout radius a bit but it works. I think somebody sells these things but I like the DIY mode.

BTW, if it should happen again, just find a water hose WITHOUT a spray nozzle and run some water over the closed gas cap area and seat. This is no worse than being in the rain and it will flush everything off.

Nice job on that. Aerostich sells one:

E-Z Fill Nozzle Key - Odds & Ends - Storage & Transport - A to B :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Last edited:
I've only had the NC700 for 7 wks. and I don't think I've filled it up without overflowing it. It drains out around the fill cap area and if it goes under the seat area it will quickly evaporate. If it gets on the seat, I just wipe it off. What I have been doing is place a paper towel on the seat so that any splash gets on the towel rather than directly on the seat. A little water takes care of this.

I'm in CA too...when I fill up, I just retract the nozzle's boot with one hand and control the nozzle's flow with another. This way I can see the progress of filling the tank and reduce the flow as it gets close to the top. It is a two-handed process and a pain but I don't get any spills this way. I do like the idea of the metal nozzle 'retractor' further up this thread.

I hate to be the one to give you the bad news but since you over did it on the gas the bike will be toast, a goner, finny, history, not a not a. My suggestion is you sell it ASAP for about $50 since that is all it will be worth soon. Oh by the way - I have $50 so when can I pick it up ??

Back