• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ordered Full Cogent Suspension Upgrade Today

kebrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Instead of Race Tech Gold Valves and the economy Ohlins shock I decided I would try the Cogent DDC (drop-in damper cartridge) and the Cogent Shock. It will take a couple of weeks for the custom shock to be built so expect some meaningful performance feedback by mid May. Cogent may not be a household name to all but they are a busy suspension shop in North Carolina that enjoys an excellent reputation in the industry for superior performance and durability.

What we need to do is have a Smoky Mountain comparison test with a Cogent equipped NC and a Race Tech/Ohlins equipped NC. Be real helpful to the next guy that wants to improve their NC suspension.

With premium suspension it should be one helluva 47 HP mountain missile. I increased the rear preload on the NC and dropped the front end 10mm and I discovered an entertaining sport bike hidden in the chassis. The only issue I have now is the high corner speeds highlights how under damped the NC is and I am concerned with keeping the tires in contact with the road. I suspect a well suspended NC will be truly entertaining and a real sleeper in the twistys.

KEB

Awesome, great to hear of another potential source for goodies! :D Please do keep us up to date with your critiques and thoughts on the set up, once you get some miles under your belt with them.

The jury is still out on whether or not my obscenely spendy Nitron is even worth 1/2 it's cost lol, but am really hoping to get some good gnarly off roading in this season, and find out...:rolleyes:

Eagerly awaits too. As a sideline, I usually service the forks yearly. For aftermarket shocks, are there user serviceable ones? The minimum I would want to do is to change the shock oil and seals. Most I see are gas-charged so that rules out the possibility.

I have full race tech system, with shock, rebound damping, and adjustable spring preload, works very good, but had to lengthen the side stand, the bike sits much taller. Dale

Eagerly awaits too. As a sideline, I usually service the forks yearly. For aftermarket shocks, are there user serviceable ones? The minimum I would want to do is to change the shock oil and seals. Most I see are gas-charged so that rules out the possibility.

I used to do forks every year but when you look at bushing wear and the fact that fork oil is so incredibly slippery it won't come off anything I stretch it to 2 or 3 years or whenever a fork seal gives up. ;) The shock is fully rebuildable and Cogent Dynamics has an excellent reputation for building durable suspension stuff. I will only street ride so I would expect 50K between rebuilds but whatever I get I will take if the performance is there.

I have always been amazed how good adventure bikes do corner. Seems like over the years, after market accessories become OEM.

Aint that the truth. Leaving out the off road capability the ADV trend is combining the mellow nature of a good sport tourer with the ferocious cornering of a good sport bike. Just takes a few suspension tweaks to get all the way there on some models. A great suspension is worth lots of HP so I may have to stick some cardboard in the airbox to keep the bike sane. :cool:

My favorite NC trait is how I can put in a 400 mile day in the mountains and still want to take the long way home. At the end of the day that is the only specification I care about.

I have full race tech system, with shock, rebound damping, and adjustable spring preload, works very good, but had to lengthen the side stand, the bike sits much taller. Dale

I really like Cogent Dynamics and they offer the Race Tech line. I could not find the NC shock listed on their website or I might have gone all race tech. I am really taking a gamble on the drop-in dampers but my bet is hedged somewhat by the adjustable nature of the CD DDCs. Like I said we need to get together in the mountains and do some comparison testing. If not for us, do it for all of mankind.;)

At the end of the day I really don't care if it is faster, just be more fun to ride. I can deal with having to lengthen the sidestand and would love the additional ground clearance. I feel bad every time I drag the Buell pegs through a turn. I drag the stock pegs too and that is another reason for wanting an improved suspension.

KEB

I used to do forks every year but when you look at bushing wear and the fact that fork oil is so incredibly slippery it won't come off anything I stretch it to 2 or 3 years or whenever a fork seal gives up. ;) The shock is fully rebuildable and Cogent Dynamics has an excellent reputation for building durable suspension stuff. I will only street ride so I would expect 50K between rebuilds but whatever I get I will take if the performance is there.

This was my fork oil after 1 year, only city riding and 8000km.

Fully rebuildable by ownself or need to send to shop? The normal folks usually are not able to get access to gas for re-filling.

This was my fork oil after 1 year, only city riding and 8000km.

Fully rebuildable by ownself or need to send to shop? The normal folks usually are not able to get access to gas for re-filling.

I don't see the fork oil picture but it may just be the computer I am on. Last year I had to replace a fork seal on the VFR and after a 100 mile ride the new seal was leaking so I did it again and when I dropped the 100 mile fork oil it was just as dirty as the old oil had been and this was after a full cartridge strip down and new bushings top and bottom. I figured the new teflon bushings contributed to the oil turning black.

I replace fork oil between 12 and 20,000 miles. That's just me. Honda doesn't generally give a time or distance for this service.

I might be the only one who installed the Gold Valves correctly (holes in the damping rods) and I'm very pleased. In fact, it out performed my "budget" Ohlins shock until I reduced the preload and damping on it. I'm very close to having both ends happy

Awesome, great to hear of another potential source for goodies! :D Please do keep us up to date with your critiques and thoughts on the set up, once you get some miles under your belt with them.

The jury is still out on whether or not my obscenely spendy Nitron is even worth 1/2 it's cost lol, but am really hoping to get some good gnarly off roading in this season, and find out...:rolleyes:

So how is the on-road change to the oem so far? I'm thinking of getting the basic Nitron shock, but if its no improvement over the stock unit....Any thoughts appreciated.

So how is the on-road change to the oem so far? I'm thinking of getting the basic Nitron shock, but if its no improvement over the stock unit....Any thoughts appreciated.

Honestly I haven't put the miles on it to be confident enough to unreservedly recommend it, but tongue in cheek kidding aside, I am happy with it so far-just not leaping up and down for joy and amazement at the difference.

I wasn't completely horrified at the OEM NCX shock's abilities plinking about on the pavement in the first place, it was extremely rough washboard gravel roads that did it in, to the point of exasperation.

I do know however, that with the mega adjustability and tons of easy preload change only a finger twirl away, I will be really greatful for it when I'm packed to the gunnels with gear and panniers, 1,000 miles off camping in the boonies. :D

Ok, thanks for that, I'm off on a fully loaded 2 up tour next month - not sure if I'll make the up grade before or see how it goes. The basic Nitron has the same pre-load adjustment method as the Honda shock, so I'm not sure how much I would gain, and the better spec one is too expensive for me.

Ok, thanks for that, I'm off on a fully loaded 2 up tour next month - not sure if I'll make the up grade before or see how it goes. The basic Nitron has the same pre-load adjustment method as the Honda shock, so I'm not sure how much I would gain, and the better spec one is too expensive for me.

The Nitron doesn't quite have the same painful method as the Honda twin locking collars, it has a simple spanner adjustable loosen/tighten jobby without need for a locking ring, if that's any consolation.

Honda NC700X Nitron Street Shock Absorber (11-13) | eBay

Also, the hydraulic preload option is available to add to the basic model :)

ps- I'm not recommending those guys in the link for anything, I didn't get my shock there, I'm just using it as an informational referrence.

Last edited:
Back