• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Older motorcyclist more likely to be injured. BBC report

Yep, the old ones don't bounce as well as the young ones. I'm waiting for the day when I fall and break a hip. My youngest boy will say, Gotta put ya down Dad!
Of course my Dad is is pushing 80 and still ornerier than a wet wildcat.

Hmmm, more likely to be hurt, less likely to be put in a position to be hurt. I am much more careful and aware of my limitations then back when I was bulletproof.

Hmmm, more likely to be hurt, less likely to be put in a position to be hurt. I am much more careful and aware of my limitations then back when I was bulletproof.

True, but with age reaction times slow making it harder to correct a bad situation. Not saying this causes a problem all the time, but I'm sure it is a factor sometimes.

I think also that one problem could be people being caught out by the performance of modern bikes after a long layoff from riding. Even after nearly 50 years of not being without a bike the performance of some of today's bikes still amazes me

I think also that one problem could be people being caught out by the performance of modern bikes after a long layoff from riding. Even after nearly 50 years of not being without a bike the performance of some of today's bikes still amazes me

I read an article a few years ago about this. People that last rode in their 20's jumping back on bikes 30+ years later and buying the big CC bikes mostly because they can. Too much power, weight, and rusty skills and they get in trouble. I was talking to one of my friends dad last year, and he was telling me that back when he rode the Norton 500cc and the like was a "big bike". Now, that's almost entry level.

When trying to get some "older riders" to go to some of the advance technique classes with me I got a lot of the "I've been riding for 30 years, I already know everything" attitude. Granted it was for a class called cornerspin which is dubbed "road racing in the dirt." It's a "race school" but it puts the foundation down for you to be able to save yourself if you go into a slide/lose the rear in a corner. Good stuff to know for the everyday.

It doesn't matter how long you have been riding there is always something new to learn. That is one of the reasons that I join forums. I like to think that I can pass on a bit of knowledge and there is certainly a lot of knowledge out there for me to gain

It doesn't matter how long you have been riding there is always something new to learn. That is one of the reasons that I join forums. I like to think that I can pass on a bit of knowledge and there is certainly a lot of knowledge out there for me to gain

well we'll have to hurry up and learn Rocker none of us are getting any younger;)

Sheesh, I have put my back out more than I'd like to admit now, just getting out of bed wrong, lol. :eek:

I wasn't the most stretchy person even when young, so old creaky and brittle LBS really has to think twice before doing stuff that was never given a second thought, back in the day...

Young (say below 25) and older (say above 60) are the 2 high risk motorcycle groups in most insurance company handbooks. They are not being mean or biased.
We will all go towards the higher age bracket and therefore don't hang me for saying this out loud.
Ride safe.
If unsure, get out of the way and don't risk injuring yourself and others on the roads.
:p
I have seen enough elderly drivers here who drive at 20kmh lower at all the speed limits. They are such a danger to themselves, I wonder why they still do that. I don't mean they are holding me up (I can wait, no problem), they are risking their lives and others too.

I have yet to see an "old and risky" motorcyclist. Somehow they all somehow get younger when they ride their bikes.
:p

Last edited:
Back