• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM heated grips equally warm on both sides?

TomInOregon

Reaction score
Visit site
Ever since installation, I have noticed that my left Honda heated grip is not as warm as my right grip. It hasn't been much of an issue until this morning, when my left hand's fingertips were painfully cold while my right hand was fine. During most of my ride in to work, I couldn't feel any heat at all from the left grip until I got below 55 MPH. I have Barkbusters and Giant Motoloop Bushwhackers handguards over the Barkbusters. Has anybody else noticed that one of their heated grips is warmer than the other?

One thing to consider is that the left grip is mounted right to the metal handlebar which draws away some of the heat, whereas the right grip is attached to the plastic throttle tube which does not sink the heat as readily. So, in theory, the left should not heat as well as the right, or at least warm more slowly.

That being said, and I can't speak for the Honda grips, but on my Oxfords I really can't tell any difference between the left and right. One thing you might do is measure and compare the resistance of each grip. Perhaps that would indicate if one is defective.

Last edited:
Ever since installation, I have noticed that my left Honda heated grip is not as warm as my right grip. It hasn't been much of an issue until this morning, when my left hand's fingertips were painfully cold while my right hand was fine. During most of my ride in to work, I couldn't feel any heat at all from the left grip until I got below 55 MPH. I have Barkbusters and Giant Motoloop Bushwhackers handguards over the Barkbusters. Has anybody else noticed that one of their heated grips is warmer than the other?

Pretty common issue. I don't have the OEM grips (have the Symtech), but the left grip is attached straight to the metal bar that acts like a huge heat sink. The right side is stuck to the plastic throttle tube, which doesn't eat up nearly as much of your heat. Most DIY'ers will put a large piece of heatshrink over the bare bar on the left side -- I did.

Symtec heated grips advice please - ADVrider

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/735-symtech-heated-grips.html

trey

*edit -- beat to the punch by Greg

Pretty common issue. I don't have the OEM grips (have the Symtech), but the left grip is attached straight to the metal bar that acts like a huge heat sink. The right side is stuck to the plastic throttle tube, which doesn't eat up nearly as much of your heat. Most DIY'ers will put a large piece of heatshrink over the bare bar on the left side -- I did.

Symtec heated grips advice please - ADVrider

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/735-symtech-heated-grips.html

trey

*edit -- beat to the punch by Greg

:D Exactly what I did. (on my other bike) Put a couple 1" diam layers of heavy duty heat shrink tubing on the left bar, prior to the symtec heated grip pads.

oops :eek: I see my reply already there in your second link, lol :eek:

Last edited:

I think there might be something wrong with your grips, my OEM Honda ones are warm/hot/nuclear the exact same feeling, on both left and right sides.

One thing to consider is that the left grip is mounted right to the metal handlebar which draws away some of the heat, whereas the right grip is attached to the plastic throttle tube which does not sink the heat as readily. So, in theory, the left should not heat as well as the right, or at least warm more slowly.

That being said, and I can't speak for the Honda grips, but on my Oxfords I really can't tell any difference between the left and right. One thing you might do is measure and compare the resistance of each grip. Perhaps that would indicate if one is defective.

Thanks, that's probably the issue. This is the first time I have installed heated grips and I didn't know any better. That would explain it. Next time I install these, I will use heat shrink or tape to insulate them from the bar. I think I will have to go ahead and get heated gloves as well for the coldest days. The funny thing is that I rode a couple of months ago in 5 degrees colder weather and I was fine (with a different pair of gloves), but today my left hand was miserable with what should be approximately the same insulating ability. I'll try the other gloves on the ride home and see if they fix the problem. Even if they work, I don't like being right at the limit of my gloves' ability to keep my hands from freezing. Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks, that's probably the issue. This is the first time I have installed heated grips and I didn't know any better. That would explain it. Next time I install these, I will use heat shrink or tape to insulate them from the bar. I think I will have to go ahead and get heated gloves as well for the coldest days. The funny thing is that I rode a couple of months ago in 5 degrees colder weather and I was fine (with a different pair of gloves), but today my left hand was miserable with what should be approximately the same insulating ability. I'll try the other gloves on the ride home and see if they fix the problem. Even if they work, I don't like being right at the limit of my gloves' ability to keep my hands from freezing. Thank you all for your replies.

Hmm, considering my heated grips are the same OEM Honda as yours, with no different mounting methods used (I installed them myself and did nothing as far as extra insulative precautions) and I can't hold my winter glove wearing left hand on the grip without burning it on "Nuclear" setting #3 or being uncomfortable on merely "hot" setting #2, I still think there is more to the issue going on here.

Hmm, considering my heated grips are the same OEM Honda as yours, with no different mounting methods used (I installed them myself and did nothing as far as extra insulative precautions) and I can't hold my winter glove wearing left hand on the grip without burning it on "Nuclear" setting #3 or being uncomfortable on merely "hot" setting #2, I still think there is more to the issue going on here.

Well, my right hand will get hot enough to have to periodically hold it up in the airstream to cool it down on high at anything over 30 degrees or so. The left gets warm, but never hot. Did you use the Honda install kit, or do something else for the wiring?

Thanks,
Tom

Well, my right hand will get hot enough to have to periodically hold it up in the airstream to cool it down on high at anything over 30 degrees or so. The left gets warm, but never hot. Did you use the Honda install kit, or do something else for the wiring?

Thanks,
Tom

I used only all the OEM Honda materials, harness kit, and instructions, Tom. :) My left grip can fry an egg, it gets so hot, lol

*knock on wood* *jinx* *avert* hee hee! :eek:

I used only all the OEM Honda materials, harness kit, and instructions, Tom. :) My left grip can fry an egg, it gets so hot, lol

*knock on wood* *jinx* *avert* hee hee! :eek:

I also used the OEM Honda materials. Maybe you got a set at the tight end of manufacturing tolerances and I got a set at the loose end of tolerances. I would like to see a few more data points in order to know for sure, but I'm kind of stuck with what I've got for now. The next time I have the plastics off, I will re-examine the wiring and all connections, but all seems to be working as well as it's going to. FYI, I wore my Olympia gloves on the way home last night and it was 3 degrees warmer than yesterday morning, but my hands were warm enough. Apparently my new gloves aren't quite as warm as my old ones.

I have the OEM heated grips too. They were installed by the dealer and I doubt they did anything special on the left side. The funny thing about it is I have always felt my left hand is warmer than my right. I'm not just saying this because your having a problem. I agree with LBS. I think there might be something else going on because my left grip heats up well.

NO need to remove the body plastic yet. If I was looking for a heating problem with the HONDA heated grips..............the first place to look is the 5 bullet connectors on the left grip. Look for a soft set or loose connector? All the connectors are with in a couple of inches from the of the left grip. Step 42 and 43 on the Honda instruction sheet shows the proper connections.

To take it a little farther but more technical ........with an ohm meter measure the resistance of the left grip and compare to the right grip and the Honda spec of 2.2 ohms. The grips must be disconnected from the harness while mesuring the resistance. During install it is possible to damage the heating grid in the grip. (Step 36)

If these tests show no problem and the heating is still not even then pull the plastics and check and test further. Actually measuring the temp on each grip might also be a good idea.

While it does not explain unequal heating left and right remember the Honda control unit senses outside temp and adjusts heat output. So people could get different results measuring temp under differing conditions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12332681/Honda Install Instructions/Heated Grips.pdf

showkey said:
remember the Honda control unit senses outside temp and adjusts heat output.

Ahroo? Really?! I never knew that :eek:

I had heated grip failure on my BMW (of course) and the prevailing theory proven out on the Forum I was on, was usually the delicate elements in the grips themselves were damaged ie: the copper circuit board-resembling wire paths were broken and/or soldered connections from elements to the wire leads were broken or cracked.

It was almost always the left grip, due to that side of the handle bar being more man handled about; pushing/pulling the bike around, center stand lifting etc.

A few more adventurous souls carefully cut and peeled back the rubber of the grip itself to expose the elements, found the solder breaks or damaged circuit trace point, and soldered them back together successfully. Unfortunately with the molded design of our Honda grips, I don't know if a similar thing could be tried, though... :(

Another owner with the Honda OEM heated grips, installed pre-delivery by the dealer, whose hands are equally fried by them. The issue is _not_ the idea about the handlebars, nor that 'they're all like that...'

Haven't had any differences with mine, that I could tell. I'd check the connectors, grimps, and possible corroded wires and then compare the resistances between the sides and lengths of wires.

I've installed several pairs of aftermarket grip heaters and each had marked throttle and clutch side elements. The throttle side heating element is smaller to account for the heat sink effect of the bare metal bar under the clutch side. There was no need to use tape or heat shrink tubing on the left handlebar. Eventually I get around to checking the temperatures of each side with an infrared gauge and each side is usually within 5 degrees of the other.

Just to add another data point: I installed the OEM heated grips on my NC700 and both grips heat equally. I think you have a problem with your system!
:(

I think I'm stuck with them at this point. The majority of the time they work fine, if a little uneven, but it's only at the coldest temps that it is an issue. At that point, even the side that works the best isn't enough either, so I'm going to get some heated gloves for the coldest days.

I think I'm stuck with them at this point. The majority of the time they work fine, if a little uneven, but it's only at the coldest temps that it is an issue. At that point, even the side that works the best isn't enough either, so I'm going to get some heated gloves for the coldest days.

This is a point I've made a few times. At very cold temps with thick gloves I can't really tell they are on. Heated gloves are the key in temps under 30F. Just my opinion. When I've made this statement in the past I've been told my grips must be bad. No, they get hot as heck but when it is under 30F and you are putting on thicker gloves the heat can't get past all that material to your hands. Not enough anyway. Heated gloves are the way to go. I love the heated grips when temps are between 30-50F. That is when the excel. JMHO. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Back