• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Next step in evolution of Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)

Next step in evolution of Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)

Latest from ADV Pulse:

"...Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) will be available as an option on the CRF1000L Africa Twin, with the use of a common crankcase keeping the width the same as the manual transmission version.
It features the standard manual mode—allowing the rider to operate gear shifts through triggers on the left handlebar—and two automatic modes. D mode offers the best balance of fuel efficiency and comfort cruising. S mode gives extra levels of sport performance, with three different shift patterns to choose from: S1, S2 and S3."

This is a step in the right direction in the Evolution of the DCT Technology. More options will be beneficial for certain riders and conditions, but all. I "Teach" mode would me nice and allow the rider to teach the bike their riding habits, also the ability to "Reset" the bikes to computer to start this process all over again.

For me this comes all at a wrong time for me, as I am moving to electric as my daily commuter. Do not threat, I will be keeping NaNCy as the my only gas powered bike.

Both of these technologies are in their infancy and will get better with time. I want to be in the forefront experiencing these while the conditions are right for me at this time.

I am truly sad that Honda did not come out with this 1,000 cc version of this engine with the DCT earlier. Either way it will soon be here in not too long. I am sure that some members of this forum will go out and get one of these bikes. Some will have to give up their NC to do it. Kudos to them that do. As for me, I will be examining a different avenue.

Regarding the mention of incline detection on the Africa twin DCT in the first post, I see this as a very good addition to the DCT logic. This week I hung around the Honda demo ride truck, and among the 7 Honda bikes I test rode, three were DCT - a CTX700, an NM4, and an NC700X. I don't own a DCT, so I'm kind of an outside observer taking notes on the technology.

I experienced a portion of the CTX ride where I was rolling down a steep curvy paved road, using what little engine braking the NC engine has. The bike was still picking up a little speed. As I'm about to round a curve, the DCT in auto mode sees enough speed increase that it decides to up shift right then and consequently speed increases faster. No! Now is not a good time to upshift! I quickly jumped to manual mode and shifted back down. So I can see here that an incline detector could solve this problem and allow use of engine braking on downhills.

I still say that drive mode on the NC products is too conservative and sport mode sometimes too aggressive. Delaying 6th gear so long makes no sense. During my test rides, I always ended up staying in manual mode toward the end. I hope the three different S modes introduced on the Africa Twin will address this issue.

Worth mentioning (but off topic), of the bikes I test rode, I had the most fun with the CB500X. It was a good combination of lightness, handling, ergonomics, and just enough power to get the job done without overkill. It's sort of a "fun to ride a slow bike fast" kind of thing. In addition, besides the NC700X, it was the only one that had mirrors that had any measure of usefulness. I don't understand how Honda can build the NM4 and CTX1300 with totally useless mirrors.

Last edited:
Move the DCT switch to my left foot and I'll be interested.

The AT will have the left foot shifter on the DCT as an OPTION, this makes perfect sense for off road riding as it is a stretch for my thumb to change gears if I want to. If the AT was out when I was looking for the DCT, I'd be on it now, now I'm thinking seriously about the AT with DCT.

Back