• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

new x- ring chain

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys (and Miss D) I just had a new chain put on today. This-http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/did-520-vx2-pro-street-series-x-ring-sealed-chain.html
Is it normal for it to "whine" when brand new? It sounds as if it's coming from the front sprocket.

The dealer put a new DID chain on mine for warranty, I haven't noticed any strange noises, I do wear earplugs so if it's really low volume I might not hear it.

Hey guys (and Miss D) I just had a new chain put on today. This-http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/did-520-vx2-pro-street-series-x-ring-sealed-chain.html
Is it normal for it to "whine" when brand new? It sounds as if it's coming from the front sprocket.
Could be to tight,been there with same noise.

Too tight would be the first suspect...............it has been common theme in prior posts.

Last edited:
Too tight or not aligned correctly. I've heard people mention a strange noise with chain when the front and rear sprockets are misaligned.

I hope not. It's why I brought it to the dealer.
I'll check it tomorrow.

"I didn't care how it was done, that's why I took it to the dealer", is more how I would think.

I know, I know, I'm a mean, cynical person. :mad:

Last edited:
Too tight or not aligned correctly. I've heard people mention a strange noise with chain when the front and rear sprockets are misaligned.

Why do the dealers put it on too tight? We've heard too many people say that. I went to my local independent shop and asked them how my chain looked because it's getting close. Two guys said it was too loose. But I had adjusted it that same day so I knew it was in spec. Is it because the big sags so much? Is the 1 3/8 inches a lot more than most bikes?

This wouldn't be the first time. One of the members here had to readjust his chain after a visit to a dealer.
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

I wanted to do it myself but work, a move, trying to get my daughters' car running, work , teach an exercise class, did I mention work? , lack of the right tools all complicated the job.
I'll check the "loose factor" this morning.
I appreciate the chain alignment suggestion, also. Any way, the dealer is walking distance from my work place, so they will do it again if I can find the right size tools for the axle. If I can, I'll just do it myself.
I'll report later.....

Last edited:
DIY or get it checked!
New chains may loose a bit on the first 500 kms.
Mine was a crap after 14000 kms, 8 or 10 links rusted and stucked .
The mechanic put a new set on my bike, front+rear sprockets and a ZVMX super street series chain.
He told me, it will last long enough, just take of care of proper maintenance, clean it sometimes with WD40 or similar and lubricate it. In rainy weather conditions use gear oil to prevent rusting.

I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic went outside with a rag on his hand, moved the chain up and down and said it was fine. I mentioned that if I had a chain alignment tool , I would have just done adjusted it myself and not bothered them.. He said they just use the factory marks.
The chain only had 1" of up and down travel so I adjusted it when I got to my shop. I used a piece of aluminum bar against the sprocket for the alignment (I know about the raised part of the teeth). I didn't have a torque wrench with me but will do that in the morning at my house. It still has a little "whine".
Is it normal for a new chain and old sprockets to maybe "whine" about each other until they get to know each other? I could loosen it some more, it is not at 1 9/16" yet.

Does anyone know the torque settings for (a) the front sprocket bolt and (b) the fixing bolts for the rear sprocket ? Also, are there any parts such as washers to be replaced ? Many thanks.

I've put on three of them over 50K miles, and yes. That whine noise is typical. I would guess you replaced the sprockets too? That's when it's most pronounced. Last chain, (same one you have), I left the sprockets on, and the whine sound didn't last as long. I presume there is some interaction between NEW sprocket teeth and and NEW chain that causes it, but it goes away with normal wear.

Disclaimer: this appraisal is annecdotal. This was my experience and not a scientific data.

I've put on three of them over 50K miles, and yes. That whine noise is typical. I would guess you replaced the sprockets too? That's when it's most pronounced. Last chain, (same one you have), I left the sprockets on, and the whine sound didn't last as long. I presume there is some interaction between NEW sprocket teeth and and NEW chain that causes it, but it goes away with normal wear.

Disclaimer: this appraisal is annecdotal. This was my experience and not a scientific data.
You were right Strats. I've put several thousand miles on the chain and the whine has lessened greatly!
Next time, I'll do the whole set.

It will be a riveted link. Many thanks again for the offer.

Chain now fitted. Sure enough I noticed the whine when out for my first spin with it. I fitted a new Xring chain. All is well otherwise.

Back