• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Paint

Disastrous

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how I'll feel about this once it's back together...but it was time for a change! This is just a preview. I will have to let it cure until next weekend before applying clear-coat
9cc9fa42c27a81ad0fd426e325f5a2f8.jpg

That is very cool! Please provide details of your process, that is, if you want to share.

No problem...I sanded thoroughly, cleaned with wax & grease remover, primed (3 coats), black paint (3 coats), made designs with dishwashing soap, immediately painted with flat green (1 semi-heavy coat), spray off soap with hose after about 1 minute, and then leave to dry/cure. Plastics take 5-7 days to cure depending on the brand of paint.

You sprayed with green over the soap and then washed it off only one minute after spraying the green? I've never heard of that process before. That's really cool. I would've thought it would have messed up the green after only one minute though. Do you have to spray it off again to make sure you remove any soap residue before the clear coat?
Mike

I'm going to hit it with the wax & grease remover again. I used spray cans so it dries incredibly fast! I experimented a few times before this process...first time I used 3 coats before rinsing and waited 10 min between each coat...it didn't work well...required lots of sanding with 800 grit to expose the base color.

A video of the process would be cool. I've painted all my life and never heard of that .
I really like the pieces and think, put together, it's going to be very cool!

I, too, would have never thought of this as far as car or bike paint inspiration method, even though I've been a part of more than my share of girlfriends who got caught up in the "faux finish" and "trompe l'oeil" craze that seemed to be all the rage back in the early 90's. I spent many an hour helping with fake marble look using scrunched up damp newspaper or polyethylene plastic draped over a two colour primary and top layer, and then a clear glaze rolled on top, after paper or poly removal, and drying. (some of them actually turned out pretty darned cool I must admit, lol)

The closest that application makes me think of nowadays, is the dipped (not plasti-dip) type, which uses a thin layer of product applied to the substrate, when dipped in water that the product is floating on. (ie: sheets of faux carbon fibre, cheetah spots, etc.)

But dish soap? Awesome!

looks good.
don't think I'm brave enough to start fannying around with my bike.

oh and by the way you've not answered my question above regarding soap.

Back