• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New owner here! What are you people doing about front lighting?

SilverNC700

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone! New NC700X owner here from central Indiana!

My very first mod will be additional forward lighting. I live in the country, and you can never have too much forward light both for night driving and additional awareness to others. It seems as though forward lighting is not very popular here- after much searching, I've haven't found anyone here who has added front lights.

I went with the Denali DM1 Micro lights, which were featured on the Twisted Throttle project bike. I will not be using the light bar (I think that is just extra weight I don't need) and instead will mount them to the front fender like on the project bike. Does anyone have any tips to this (plastic removal, wiring issues, etc.)?

Last edited:
Right now I'm using cheap 55w halogens from Wally World. I don't drive at night much so I don't really care how they light up the road, which they actually do quite well BTW. I bought them primarily for increasing my presence during the day as the headlight is kind of weak. They are mounted to the light bar with brackets I made from aluminum stock.

As for Tupperware removal, I'd suggest buying the service manual as Honda likes to use about 15 different kinds of connectors, bolts, screws, etc... (they could learn much from BMW here).

My lights are wired to a relay that is mounted on the left side of the battery compartment underneath the left side Tupperware. I located a switch for them inside the frunk on the left side. These light stay on all of the time so I really don't even need a switch but there might be occasions that they need to be turned off.

I have most of this in pictures under Fuse Block Install in the Mods sub-forum.
Mike

I a considering the Denali lights, fender mounted, and would very much appreciate your opinion of their effectiveness and tips regarding installation.

I sometimes ride at night on remote mountain roads with neither street lights nor cell phone coverage, so with only one headlight on the NC I most definitely want a backup plan.

I saw the Denali lights on the project bike at the motorcycle show in Seattle. I like how they look on the fender. Mounting them on the fork might be another option. I commute year round and it does get dark really early in the winter. Definitely on my wish-list.

Please post a how-to report. I'd love to see how everything turn out.

And if at all possible, whether they give off enough light by themselves to find your way down a pitch-black road at night (even slowly).

Hello everyone! New NC700X owner here from central Indiana!

My very first mod will be additional forward lighting. I live in the country, and you can never have too much forward light both for night driving and additional awareness to others. It seems as though forward lighting is not very popular here- after much searching, I've haven't found anyone here who has added front lights.

I went with the Denali DM1 Micro lights, which were featured on the Twisted Throttle project bike. I will not be using the light bar (I think that is just extra weight I don't need) and instead will mount them to the front fender like on the project bike. Does anyone have any tips to this (plastic removal, wiring issues, etc.)?

I have those as well. Mounted mine to the front fender. I bought the front fender mount kit M6 I think. The bolts weren't long enough to use the spacers that came with the kit so I mounted them lower and removed the side reflectors since they were in the way. They are very easy to install and you really only need to access the battery unless use have mounted or want to mount some power distribution somewhere. I'll try and get a thread about my installation this weekend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365768889367.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365768889367.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 452
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365768943282.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365768943282.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 513
I have those as well. Mounted mine to the front fender. I bought the front fender mount kit M6 I think. The bolts weren't long enough to use the spacers that came with the kit so I mounted them lower and removed the side reflectors since they were in the way. They are very easy to install and you really only need to access the battery unless use have mounted or want to mount some power distribution somewhere. I'll try and get a thread about my installation this weekend.

I see you mounted on the lower fender bolts. The Twisted Throttle tech mounted them on the bolts above those, nearer to the top of the fender. I emailed him, and he said he just used a spacer to allow the lights to clear the shock tube, so I am planing on following his exact install. I will post pictures too (lights are scheduled to arrive next Monday).

Thanks for the follow-up. Those Denali's look nice and bright!

How come you guys aren't getting the DS dual intensity lights?

Denali D2 (Dual Intensity) LED Lighting Kit with Full Wiring Harness and M8 Mount - XT1200Z Super Tenere '11-'13 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

They seem even brighter and I could really use the extra light. Is there any downside to those besides the additional cost? Wild they mind as easily as the DM1? Really looking forward to your guys' tutorials since I would like to install additional light as soon as possible and this mod doesn't look toooooo crazy.

How come you guys aren't getting the DS dual intensity lights?

Denali D2 (Dual Intensity) LED Lighting Kit with Full Wiring Harness and M8 Mount - XT1200Z Super Tenere '11-'13 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

They seem even brighter and I could really use the extra light. Is there any downside to those besides the additional cost? Wild they mind as easily as the DM1? Really looking forward to your guys' tutorials since I would like to install additional light as soon as possible and this mod doesn't look toooooo crazy.

I bought the DM1 Micros because I was a bit concerned about the size of the lights, since I am mounting them to the fender. If they don't produce as much as I think I need, I will certainly consider adding a light bar, then mounting the larger D2 lights to it.

Okay, so I got the Denali DM1 lights two days early! Yay Fedex!

The mounting process was not fun. I ended up making several trips to the hardware store to try to locate proper bolts, washers, spacers, to mount it the way I wanted. After 3 hours, I finally worked out a mounting solution that I think will work. I won't fully know how well it works until I light it up and ride a bit. Photos and better explanation when the project is complete.

Now then, on to the wiring....and this is where I froze. Turns out I am scared as hell to remove the plastic! The bike is brand new, less than 100 miles on it, and I am scared of screwing something up- breaking something, losing a bolt, or failing to figure out how to put it all back together properly.

I came here to whine about this to all of you, but instead I saw a post that user hozabah made with a link to the installation guides for the Honda OEM accessories. Low and behold, the heated grip instructions show exactly how to remove all the panels I need to access the battery and wiring! So, with a fresh mind in the morning, I will tackle that beast again!!

Ugh...got the plastic off. Routed the wires.

Now I need to tap into the "Motorcycle Running Light Wire". My HelmInc manual has not yet arrived, so I am lost. Anyone know where I can find this? Coming off the headlight, I have four wires: a white/grey, green, blue/grey, and blue. I assume I'll need to tap one of these. HELP!

Hi everyone new to the forum and if you will allow me here is my install of relatively less expensive and durable fog lights. They were about $150 for the total kit. I have installed these on several different Honda bikes and they are very reliable.IMG_3576.jpg. they can be mounted upper or lower parts on front fender.

Back