• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member, and a question

BrianK

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,
I’ve been riding about 20 years, with the following order of bikes:
Kawasaki KLR250
Honda Nighthawk 750
Honda Pacific Coast PC800
Honda ST1100
Kawasaki KLR650
Suzuki DR350se

About 3 years ago, at age 50, I had 5 strokes which left my left arm and leg paralyzed and my balance completely shot. Fortunately after they put some heart stents in my brain and a lot of hard work, I’ve had a good recovery. I still have some residual weakness in the left lower leg and foot, which makes shifting difficult but not impossible.

Last fall I picked up an old DR350se, mostly to make sure I could still ride and balance a bike. I can ride it fine, but after a while I get tired of shifting with my left foot.

So I’m selling the DR350 and plan on buying either a NC750X with dct, or an African Twin with dct.

Given I’ve been away from bikes a number of years now, I thought I’d get back into riding gently with the NC750X. However, I can buy a used Africa Twin dct for about the same money I’m going to spend on a new NC750X.

My all time favorite bike was the ST1100, for comfort and touring ability.

Question: given the bikes I’ve come from, and my size - 6’1”, 250 lbs - would I be better off getting the bigger 1000cc Africa Twin?

I’m 53 and no longer too impressed by speed, but I do want a bike I can take on fire roads and state game and forest roads that will hold its own doing so. Nothing too challenging though.

I also hope to plan some longer regional rides once I get more fully back in practice.

Any thoughts or wisdom for an older guy getting back in the saddle after some time and serious disability?

Can't say I know much about motorcycles but I'd be inclined to go lighter and lower center of gravity.
If I recall correctly the Africa Twin is rather tall....
Have you considered a CTX700 with DCT?

Can't say I know much about motorcycles but I'd be inclined to go lighter and lower center of gravity.
If I recall correctly the Africa Twin is rather tall....
Have you considered a CTX700 with DCT?

Yes, but I want to be able to ride some dirt and gravel roads, and I’ve read the CTX has a more cramped cockpit for taller riders. Plus I simply do not like a feet forward riding position.

When I had my ST1100 and PC800, I did some limited riding on gravel roads. It was enough to convince me that should I plan on doing more of it in the future, I’d need a bike more devoted to that.

As far as weight, the dry weight of the NC700X dct is around 500lbs, while the Africa Twin dct is only about 55lbs more or 555lbs. For that weight difference it seems worth pursuing the Africa Twin over the NCX. But I’ve been following the NCX since they came out and do like everything I’ve read.

Last edited:
You didn’t mention your inseam, but at 6’1”, the knee bend required for the NC might or might not be a problem. The NC is a long reach to the bars, similar to the ST1100, but the foot pegs are fairly high and requires a fairly tight bend in the knees. Nothing like a sport bike, but something to check out to see if it works for you.

The power of the NC should suit you just fine.

The Africa Twin can have a taller seat height. I don’t remember if it’s two position seat, of if it has an optional lower seat, with the standard seat being the taller choice. The AT rear suspension is soft, so the bike sinks down when you board. Short legged people can ride them with the lower seat.

The NC may look like an adventure bike, but it is most definitively a standard street bike, in terms of tires, wheels, and suspension. If you want to be serious about off pavement riding, the AT will do much better. The only drawback I see to the AT is having to mess with it’s tubed tires, but that’s not a problem until, well, it becomes a problem.

As for the weight difference, the NC carries weight down low, where the AT carries it higher. While the actual weight difference might be 55 pounds, it might feel like a 100 pound difference. You’ll have to decide for yourself.

Brand new 2017 DCT Africa Twins are still available and selling for just under $10,000 in the Midwest.

I’ve sat on the NC700X and I didn’t notice the knee bend seeming too acute. I have a 30” inseam. I do have trouble mounting a taller bike because of residual weakness in my left leg so I thought the overall lower seat of the NC750X might be better for me for that reason. I need to go sit on an Africa Twin. And test ride them both once the weather breaks.

The Aprilia Mana cvt has also come to my attention. It’s more of a road bike than an adventure bike though I’ve seen them with full fairing and luggage as a decent sport touring option. Anyone know anything about it’s seating? Is it more upright like a touring/adventure or more crouched like a sport bike?

I keep trying to saddle up on an African Twin every time I see one at the dealers, but it's just way too much bike. Too tall, heavy and expensive.
The new 750X DCT is listed at only 479 pounds wet and the 700X was 474.

If I were you I'd look into a used 700. There are plenty of them out there and buying used would give you enough extra $$$ to set it up for off-roading.

I keep trying to saddle up on an African Twin every time I see one at the dealers, but it's just way too much bike. Too tall, heavy and expensive.
The new 750X DCT is listed at only 479 pounds wet and the 700X was 474.

If I were you I'd look into a used 700. There are plenty of them out there and buying used would give you enough extra $$$ to set it up for off-roading.
That’s certainly my cheapest option and probably safest. If I want to upgrade in a year I can still do that.

A heel toe shifter like on the Honda trail bikes I grew up with would probably be a dirt cheap option, honestly. I just found this image on a KLR650 related forum. I could just keep riding the DR350 for a while.
IMG_1261.jpg

Last edited:
Nc750...........

BrianK,

I am not qualified to make a recommendation about which bike to look at, but here is a NC750x for sale that would be in immaculate condition.

Tewster is a regular poster at ADV Rider and his trips show how well he takes care of his equipment.

Look at post #648........

Tewster2's 2018 NC750X Build | Page 33 | Adventure Rider

He is incredibly helpful and I am sure he would be willing to answer any questions you might have about his bike.

Slo_Rider

Last edited:
BrianK,

I am not qualified to make a recommendation about which bike to look at, but here is a NC750x for sale that would be in immaculate condition.

Tewster is a regular poster at ADV Rider and his trips show how well he takes care of his equipment.

Look at post #648........

Tewster2's 2018 NC750X Build | Page 33 | Adventure Rider

He is incredibly helpful and I am sure he would be willing to answer any questions you might have about his bike.

Slo_Rider
Thanks!

I talked to him this morning and I’ll be picking it up next month!

BrianK,

Do you need to know where to send my finders fee...?

Slo_Rider
;)

Honestly, I have a similar thread running at that same forum, and one of the forum members there had already linked me to that thread with the 2018 NC750X dct for sale. So you'll have to get in line behind that guy.

just my $.02 worth from what you've described... Go for the NC700DCT or the NC750DCT...!! Oh, and welcome to the RIDE from Northern IDAHO!!:{)

Last edited:
601A6C0A-E532-442F-BB23-83208210DC5E.jpg
I met Tewster2 in North Carolina this afternoon and his 2018 NC750X came home with me.

Here’s a list of all his build parts:

Radiator guard
Givi rear tire hugger
Center stand (Honda OEM)
2” rock risers
Touratech rack
31 liter Touratech Zega Pro panniers
Fastway Adventure footpegs
BRUUDT Windscreen Adjusters
Madstad 22 inch slim adventure windshield
SW-Motech crash bars
Honda hand guards
Sargent seat
Ram mount
Cig lighter

It’s a great looking bike. Now I need the weather to warm up in Massachusetts before I’ll take a chance riding it.

Last edited:
I have owned both the Africa Twin and the NC700X. Your height would be better suited to the AT. The AT is much better suspended than the NC and much more adept offroad. Just ensure that the AT being purchased is not one of the early ones with potential fork issues.

Having said all of this my preference for overall road riding and very light fire road duties or the like, would be the NC. Best way to check cockpit suitability would be to ride one. Any questions on the AT just pm me. I parted with mine after 17,000kms.

View attachment 37928
I met Tewster2 in North Carolina this afternoon and his 2018 NC750X came home with me.

Here’s a list of all his build parts:

Radiator guard
Givi rear tire hugger
Center stand (Honda OEM)
2” rock risers
Touratech rack
31 liter Touratech Zega Pro panniers
Fastway Adventure footpegs
BRUUDT Windscreen Adjusters
Madstad 22 inch slim adventure windshield
SW-Motech crash bars
Honda hand guards
Sargent seat
Ram mount
Cig lighter

It’s a great looking bike. Now I need the weather to warm up in Massachusetts before I’ll take a chance riding it.

You got a great bike there...Now you can ride it from Mass down to the Smokies in May to meet up with some of us NC guys at MO's...hint.hint.hint.

Back