• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Electronic Clutch?

It was a centrifugal mechanism, so whilst sitting at idle the clutch was disengaged and you just shifted the bikes into 1st gear. Then as you opened the throttle and the rpm increased, the clutch would smoothly grab with increasing force and you'd take off. Shifting required only backing off the throttle, making the shift, and re-applying the throttle. Sounds pretty much the same as what is described here, no?

For all I know, centrifugal clutches aren't amenable to the much higher output of today's engines vs. the 50 - 80cc bikes of the '70s. However, patentability seems like a probable factor here to me, too.
The Honda semi-auto clutch I had mentioned in post #12 is more than just a typical centrifugal clutch. I hate most YouTube videos but the one I link here is good and goes into great detail about this mechanical clutch's complexity.

based on that Honda promo video, that's exactly how my DCT works with the footshifter installed. The "rider" in the video never touches the clutch (or at least that's the impression we're given) from 1st on up. Is the clutch there just (a) for psychological effect for folks that hated DCT due to lack of a clutch lever, and (b) for manual feathering when/if needed?

I think it's a reasonable try at offering something that is beginner-friendly (because you don't have to mess with the clutch at all) but allows 'normal' use of the clutch to those who want it, while keeping cost low.
I noticed the cable actuator in one of the photos, so it's apparently not a clutch-by-wire system.

Looks interesting, you still have the clutch lever. This will bring the DCT debate to other Hondas. :)

I think it's a reasonable try at offering something that is beginner-friendly (because you don't have to mess with the clutch at all) but allows 'normal' use of the clutch to those who want it, while keeping cost low.
I noticed the cable actuator in one of the photos, so it's apparently not a clutch-by-wire system.
I agree. If we look at DCT, it is rare even in the Honda line-up, and other manufacturers have shown no interest in it. At Honda, despite the DCT having potential among beginners, it’s not even offered on a motorcycle under 745cc (at nearly 500 pounds). The e-clutch may bring clutchless convenience to a much broader range of Honda products, while keeping complexity, cost, and weight low. Maybe we’ll see the e-clutch on 250s and 300s, perhaps even on the Grom.

Reactions: MZ5
I'm inferring a few things. I think this is going to quite a bit different than DCT. It seems to me that the eclutch is going to have a functional dependence on the throttle. In other words, the eclutch sends a signal that informs something to expect throttle input and to prepare to operate the clutch. Guesswork but seems to make sense.

I agree. If we look at DCT, it is rare even in the Honda line-up, and other manufacturers have shown no interest in it. At Honda, despite the DCT having potential among beginners, it’s not even offered on a motorcycle under 745cc (at nearly 500 pounds). The e-clutch may bring clutchless convenience to a much broader range of Honda products, while keeping complexity, cost, and weight low. Maybe we’ll see the e-clutch on 250s and 300s, perhaps even on the Grom.
KTM is reportedly working on auto shift for their big bikes. With centrifugal clutch.
The main reason these systems are mostly in big bikes is that they are expensive, so they are better suited to expensive bikes. For cheaper and smaller bikes the CVT transmission, as in scooters, is simple and reliable solution.

Back