• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

new Conti Motions installed

JimbosToys

Reaction score
Visit site
Just installed a new set (stock sizes - 120/70-17 and 160/60-17) to replace cupped front/squared off rear Avon Distanzias. MUCH better and more confidence on the road. But after ~200 miles they seem a little bit 'harsh'. I think the dealer might have set the cold air pressure too high - what pressure do you guys use?
Side bar - discovered the throttle lock that is set by the bar end today - nice feature!
Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
The Contis are stiff tires. The sidewalls are thick. It is notable when they are off the rim when comparing to, say, a Michelin PR4.

I would never trust any hired tire installer to have set the correct pressure. Plus, checking tire pressure is something a rider should be doing often.

I run the same pressures as Honda specs for the OEM tires (per the label on the bike), and the Contis seem to work well.

Last edited:
I would never trust any tire installer to have set the correct pressure. Plus, checking tire pressure is something a rider should be doing often.

Agreed. I took my NC to the dealer for state inspections (they were offering a free inspection deal) and when I got the bike back, both tires were over inflate, and the chain was adjusted too tight.

And the Continentals are quite stiff. The zip tie trick almost didn't work.

Side bar - discovered the throttle lock that is set by the bar end today - nice feature!

Did you buy your bike used? You say that like it came with the bike from the factory. Did Honda add something to a newer version of the NC that us 2012 owners did not get?

BTW, I was at the dealer the other day. They had a set of Contis and a set of PR4s side by side in the rack. I did the ole thumb nail press into the rubber and the Contis are all around a much stiffer tire. One of these days I will try them but I'm stuck in the "go with what you know" rut.

Chuck - 2012 bike was used. Maybe they were aftermarket. Pretty clever, but don't use in tight traffic! Great way to stretch/flex my sight hand/elbow.
Checked tires - they were 38/40. Reset with good gage to 36/42. Still feel all the road joints/imperfections, guess the old soft Distanzias were more compliant.
Not too happy with the shop (see my alignment story).

Back