• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Bike day today

forgot. there was also the following new feature
"DCT even senses whether the bike is travelling uphill or downhill and selects shifting points and engine braking accordingly. Adaptive Clutch Capability
Control assists in on/off throttle situations, reducing pitching motions for smoother riding."

I have been up and down some steep hills and the bike works as they say above in the quote. In traffic bike is smooth at slow speeds. Adaptive clutch is working.
Bike is smooth and calm in traffic, no bucking or abrupt on off power delivery.

The downhill behavior was something I disliked about the earlier DCT. I’m glad they got that sorted out.

Oops, my bad, I tested the downshift (like forget you are in manual and get to a stop) but maybe not the limiter... So the DCT will downshift in manual to prevent stalling, and otherwise let you hit the limiter?

Will test tomorrow ;)
Yup, I tested and in manual you do hit the limiter. Hard ;)

Yup, I tested and in manual you do hit the limiter. Hard ;)

thanks for testing this Jos.

you have a 2017 NC750X DCT?
At what rpm did the rev limiter kick in?

If yours kicks in at 6600 then i know for sure the rpm raise is in. As i stated i hit 7300 and it was still going. Did not sound happy but it was going :)

Whiteknuckle, one word on the windscreen: Madstad. I had the same problems as you with the stock windscreen: totally useless. I tried a larger Givi screen, and added an extension. Still useless. The Madstad screen is great. It has totally changed my riding experience for the better. It’s not completely quiet, but it’s night and day different. Now I can ride pleasantly without earplugs, and with my visor open. It’s not cheap, but it’s worth the money.

hello easterncoyote.

as to why i keep getting new 750s? Guess i just am addicted to the fumes from new bikes? :)
Got the NC750S and i did like it. but the rev limiter started to bug me.
Got the 2016 NC750X because it was the first year that DCT was available in Canada. In hindsight i should have kept that one.
Got the latest one because of the new features that i expected to be on the 2016. only disappointment was the no Showa forks.

I had the FZ07 and Smax scooter. decided to downsize to one bike. The savings on insurance and maintenance will pay for the NC over a few years.

I do not mind wind, The NC does have better wind protection than the naked FZ07. The only thing about the NC that is driving me crazy is the roar sounding turbulence.
The weird thing is, it is only in my right ear. I tried moving the mirrors around to different positions. I tried leaning way over on the left side of bike to see if the turbulence
would go away. But nothing fixed it. Only thing that helped a bit was sitting way back on the seat.

i got some self sticking closed cell foam, removed the ear pieces from the Shoei GT-Air and stuck a couple of pieces of foam in the ear wells. Will test that later today. I also
have an older Shoei RF1100 i will try to see if it is the helmet. Do not think so tho as the GT-Air was fine on the FZ07. Sure hope the Madstad fixes this. Kind of limits my use
of the NC if i have to avoid long highway speeds and only going 100kph.

the disconcerting thing about Madstad is the silence from the company. They took my money fast enough. But 2 emails have gone unanswered for 5 days now. They do not answer the phone
and do not return calls. I ordered the light smoke screen but saw that that plastic is on back order. So asked to change to clear but have heard nothing. I have read about Madstad customer
service being excellent but so far i do not see it.

hello easterncoyote.

as to why i keep getting new 750s? Guess i just am addicted to the fumes from new bikes? :)
Got the NC750S and i did like it. but the rev limiter started to bug me.
Got the 2016 NC750X because it was the first year that DCT was available in Canada. In hindsight i should have kept that one.
Got the latest one because of the new features that i expected to be on the 2016. only disappointment was the no Showa forks.

I had the FZ07 and Smax scooter. decided to downsize to one bike. The savings on insurance and maintenance will pay for the NC over a few years.

I do not mind wind, The NC does have better wind protection than the naked FZ07. The only thing about the NC that is driving me crazy is the roar sounding turbulence.
The weird thing is, it is only in my right ear. I tried moving the mirrors around to different positions. I tried leaning way over on the left side of bike to see if the turbulence
would go away. But nothing fixed it. Only thing that helped a bit was sitting way back on the seat.

i got some self sticking closed cell foam, removed the ear pieces from the Shoei GT-Air and stuck a couple of pieces of foam in the ear wells. Will test that later today. I also
have an older Shoei RF1100 i will try to see if it is the helmet. Do not think so tho as the GT-Air was fine on the FZ07. Sure hope the Madstad fixes this. Kind of limits my use
of the NC if i have to avoid long highway speeds and only going 100kph.

the disconcerting thing about Madstad is the silence from the company. They took my money fast enough. But 2 emails have gone unanswered for 5 days now. They do not answer the phone
and do not return calls. I ordered the light smoke screen but saw that that plastic is on back order. So asked to change to clear but have heard nothing. I have read about Madstad customer
service being excellent but so far i do not see it.

I had to chase Madstad a bit when I wanted to buy a replacement shield. They were nice enough when I spoke with them just didn't think it was as professional as I would expect on a business transaction.

Just sent Madstad a request to cancel the order. Will see if they answer this email. They say they reply by one business day. My last email went 5 with no reply. (when i asked for color change to clear from light smoke)

Do not really need the shield now. The experiment i did with the closed cell foam worked. Took a bit of experimentation with the amount needed. I at first used 3 strips of the stick on foam. Was too thick. It deadened the sound
but caused pressure point pain. Had to pull over after 2 hours on Friday and rip out the foam from one side.

when i got home i pulled out the foam from the other side. This time used a smaller strip that just fit into the speaker well. Tried it on the ride today and it works. I can ride comfortably for hours without the painful roar in one ear.
Now i can ride at speeds over 100kph without going deaf.

crazy how just a small 3mm thick piece of foam can make such a difference. Sure i can still feel the wind and it is a bit buffety but that does not bother me, with the NC it is much better than the naked FZ07 in the wind.
Wish i had waited to see how foam worked before ordering the screen but i really did not think the foam would do much.

Whoa! Hey, wait a minute, what!? The seat slopes back!? If that seat is fairly comfortable, and IF, I say IF it retro fits the earlier NC700's....think of it. I have a Shad seat on mine which isn't too bad, so I think I'm fine. But any way congrats on the new bike! Enjoy, and keep us posted.
I was thinking the same thing. The seat on my 2017 slopes forward! I will ask the dealer if the 2018 seat will fit my bike.

I was thinking the same thing. The seat on my 2017 slopes forward! I will ask the dealer if the 2018 seat will fit my bike.

From what I have seen, your dealer must be far more knowledgeable than most if they can accurately answer a question like that. I’m not saying they can’t, but I know mine couldn’t. Let us know what they say.

Just sent Madstad a request to cancel the order. Will see if they answer this email. They say they reply by one business day. My last email went 5 with no reply. (when i asked for color change to clear from light smoke)

Do not really need the shield now. The experiment i did with the closed cell foam worked. Took a bit of experimentation with the amount needed. I at first used 3 strips of the stick on foam. Was too thick. It deadened the sound
but caused pressure point pain. Had to pull over after 2 hours on Friday and rip out the foam from one side.

when i got home i pulled out the foam from the other side. This time used a smaller strip that just fit into the speaker well. Tried it on the ride today and it works. I can ride comfortably for hours without the painful roar in one ear.
Now i can ride at speeds over 100kph without going deaf.

crazy how just a small 3mm thick piece of foam can make such a difference. Sure i can still feel the wind and it is a bit buffety but that does not bother me, with the NC it is much better than the naked FZ07 in the wind.
Wish i had waited to see how foam worked before ordering the screen but i really did not think the foam would do much.
I’m surprised that Madstad has given you such poor service. They were great getting back to me, every time I emailed them. I am interested in this foam you used in your helmet. Where do you buy it?
Ian

From what I have seen, your dealer must be far more knowledgeable than most if they can accurately answer a question like that. I’m not saying they can’t, but I know mine couldn’t. Let us know what they say.
Haha, you are probably right that they wouldn’t know, but I’m sure they will be willing to swap the seats to see if the new one fits. They really are a great dealer - KW Honda in Waterloo Ontario

I’m surprised that Madstad has given you such poor service. They were great getting back to me, every time I emailed them. I am interested in this foam you used in your helmet. Where do you buy it?
Ian

ya disappointed in Madstad. Sent two email, one on Sunday (closed i know) and sent another on Monday (14th). They say they usually reply within one business day. By Thursday i got no reply. I phoned them. No answer, just voice mail. Left message. No call back.
no progress on order. Nothing. So that was one reason i wanted to cancel. Also the foam fix negates the need for the new screen.

Got it at Home Depot. Do not have the packaging anymore. So cant say exactly the brand and i cant find it on the Home Dept website. I think they called it pipe wrap or insulation.

It was a roll of closed cell foam. Self adhesive. Cut to size, peel off back and stick away. is 2 inch wide and about 3mm thick. closest i can find to it is on Lowes. Hard to tell from the picture if the Lowes part is foil backed or paper., the one i got was paper backed (the peel off part to reveal the sticky side). Really amazed that something so simple and cheap fixed the problem.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-0-125-in-Foam-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/1069439

edit. just read the lowes product information. it is foil backed but not sure that would make a difference. Looks to be same as i got at home depot. Maybe the item is only in store at Home Depot so wont show on website.
edit again. reading the reviews on Lowes this product does not seem to be very sticky. The one i got at Home Depot was very sticky.

Last edited:
well that is done. Stopped at dealer this morning and had first service done. (bike had 985km) Went well, got there at 0930 and they got bike onto lift at around 1015. Was on my way at around 1300.
They did a good job this time. Last time i was there was when i had the first service done on the 2016 NC750X DCT and they forgot / did not know about the DCT filter.
This time they changed both filters. Gave bike a good going over. They filled it up with Motul 5100. Which is good as that is what i would have used (semi-synthetic).

This time except for about an hour i hung around the shop and peeked in at the bike every so often. Was checking out new gear. The cool weather jacket i have now is over 11y old. Still holding up
but looking battle scarred and sun faded. (Belstaff jacket). Was looking at a Joe Rocket HONDA jacket. But also looked at the Olympia Air Glide. I already have a summer (Alpinestars perforated leather) jacket tho.

Also looked at the Shoei Neotec II. Fits nice. Modular with flip down sun shield. Tempted. But the GT-Air still has a bit of life left in it. Got new pants last month. Joe Rocket Alter Ego 13. Nice for summer as they a light colour and
have zip out panels that expose mesh areas. Old Joe Rocket pants were worn out. One zipper half broken. There were holes / rips in the outer cordura at my ankles. (the outer cordura, inside was ok) got a bit hairy at times as the rips
would at times catch on bike parts like shift lever and brake pedal. Had to do a chicken dance to free my leg :)

(oh and re: Madstad. Got the refund. Maybe just coincidence but about an hour after i posted a bad review on their google maps page i got both a text and email saying they cancelled the order and refunded money.)

Last edited:
I know the circumstances you found yourself in but I think you will miss the Madstad. It's that good.

There is no excuse for not answering you but I've had nothing but good things to say about them. They are a small family business and perhaps one or two people were out sick or vacation.

Back