• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New bike and already in the shop

bode61

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my 2012 DCT at the end of March. This past weekend I rode it up to Chattanooga to work the US Pro cycling championships. On Monday in between the women's and men's race I noticed coolant seeping out of the bottom of the bike. It continued to get worse so I found a buddy with a truck and we loaded it and drove back home to Greenville SC and dropped it off at the dealership. Got a call today that it looks like a bad water pump. This is my first Honda and I hope that this is the only big issue it has. Kind of bummed that a new bike has a failure like this with only 2,100 miles on it.

Could be worse, at least I have my Aprilia to ride until this gets fixed.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm curious how long it will take them to get a water pump in. Keep us informed.

That's too bad; but at least it's covered under the warranty. I picked up my NC last August and came into the garage one morning to take it out and the rear tire was flat. Apparently I picked up a big nail on the way home the day before. Only had about 200 miles on the bike and already had to buy a new tire.

This is my first Honda and I hope that this is the only big issue it has. Kind of bummed that a new bike has a failure like this with only 2,100 miles on it.

One bad experience is all it takes, but let me offer some encouragement. Honda is known for making durable, reliable, cars and motorcycles. When I was young, Honda was the gold standard. It was the "top shelf" maker I could never afford. Since then, I've owned Honda cars and put 250,000 miles on one of them without a breakdown. I'm looking forward to that same durability in my NC700x. It is possible for there to be a flaw in manufacturing, but the over all design and general quality are excellent. Be encouraged.

Last edited:
Factory defects happen on every brand of anything. Motorcycle manufactures buy their parts from many parts manufactures. Motorcycle manufactures do keep warranty stats on part failures. The government even has their hands into looking at these stats. It is important that you turn this in to the dealer as a warranty issue. If it becomes a repeat warranty safety issue, there will be a recall. Hope this is just a one time issue. It is easy to press that seal crooked on the shaft.

Its not unheard of that a new item breaks before its time.
It happens to cars, computers, boats, motorcycles, etc.....

I can see a waterpump failing. It happens to all manufacturers.

Don't worry, after HONDA replaces the bad part, the bike will be good !

Ken

Factory defects happen on every brand of anything. Motorcycle manufactures buy their parts from many parts manufactures. Motorcycle manufactures do keep warranty stats on part failures. The government even has their hands into looking at these stats. It is important that you turn this in to the dealer as a warranty issue. If it becomes a repeat warranty safety issue, there will be a recall. Hope this is just a one time issue. It is easy to press that seal crooked on the shaft.

Kind of like the chain recall.

The mechanic stated that there is no evidence of anything popping up from the road and hitting the pump. It's now a waiting game to see how long it takes to get a pump in and hope that this was the cause for the leak. I still have hopes of it being a reliable bike, I understand stuff happens so I will keep my fingers crossed.

The mechanic stated that there is no evidence of anything popping up from the road and hitting the pump. It's now a waiting game to see how long it takes to get a pump in and hope that this was the cause for the leak. I still have hopes of it being a reliable bike, I understand stuff happens so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Sorry it's happened, mate. :( Sucks to be the guy that has the one ("but they're all so reliable!") problem.

Best of luck with the quick return to a happy bike and owner! :)

My first street bike was a 02 yamaha Vstar 1100. Died in the first thousand miles with burnt pistons(2). Was set up wrong from the dealership, running too lean. It ran fine and I never suspected the problem until it left me on I45 outside houston... Once the dealership got it fixed(took two trips and over a month), the bike has never had another problem. Of course since then I have modded everything including jetting, pipes, triple trees, forks, stretched tank, basically looks very little like the bike it started out to be. In fact , funny story, I was on the way back from Myrtle beach bike week, stopped at a store to get gas and while there a guy pulls up in a truck and while he is getting gas he walks over and asks what type of bike I had. The funny thing was he had a Vstar 1100 in the back of his truck. I replied with "same bike you own". He couldn't believe it. Had no idea they were the same bike.

And i thought i had bad luck.as my screen name.best part is its under warranty .im sure mother Honda will take care of you.

Back in the late 1970's I was a mechanic for a Datsun dealership (now Nisson). We were having some issues with water pumps, starters and alternator failures on a couple of the new models. Back then we (the mechanics) would rebuild the water pumps, starters and alternators or any other failed part under warranty. Only defective parts were replaced, not the whole assembly. With high labor costs today, its just cheaper for the manufacturer to replace the whole assembly. Don,t be discouraged, that pump was built either Monday morning or Friday evening, the replacement pump will be a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday pump! lol

Xcellor8 your post made me laugh. thanks! I needed that. Thanks all of you. I have faith that it was an isolated incident and she will be back and on the road soon with no more issues. Good news is I still have my Aprilia Mana so I am still riding!

Lots of people with the new BMW K1600GT's are having water pump failures. Too many problems to say it is just a fluke. Just be glad you didn't pay four times the price of the NC and have it wet the bed. I would rather have a bent walking stick for transportation than a modern BMW.

Funny though, riding your Italian bike until your Japanese bike gets fixed.

Wait a minute...handle of Beemerphile and does not like bmw bikes?? :)

True. Does not like the current BMW bikes. The newest BMW that I have any use for is my 2004 R1150 (which I am quite happy with). I have been riding BMW's for 35 years, but I could not be given a new one.

Back