• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

need help with SW Motech side carriers (evo) on 2014

Flaferalcat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, rather than me complaining in an old thread about how everything is going wrong fitting the SW Motech Evo side carriers, how about I just ask for some help from anyone who's done it? I've contacted Twisted Throttle too.

The bolts form the license bracket are interfering with the carriers rear bracket that is supposed to fit across the tail section. If I try to jam it into the space above the bolts, it stats separating the parts of the...well I'll see if I can load a pic or 2.
Eric:)

View attachment 24370View attachment 24371

Last edited:
I think it's a case of "they all do that" lol. Mine was the same, the cross piece is in the way of where the bolts go through to hold the plate bracket on, and the holes don't line up.

My theory is the original cross piece design was based on the Euro licence plate size and bracket configuration, and it just doesn't quite match with our N.A. spec licence plate doodads.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I removed the whole bracket with the side red reflectors, and just bolted the plate and Motech cross piece on without it.

I think it's a case of "they all do that" lol. Mine was the same, the cross piece is in the way of where the bolts go through to hold the plate bracket on, and the holes don't line up.

My theory is the original cross piece design was based on the Euro licence plate size and bracket configuration, and it just doesn't quite match with our N.A. spec licence plate doodads.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I removed the whole bracket with the side red reflectors, and just bolted the plate and Motech cross piece on without it.

Thanks for the post, and You're exactly right about it being for the Euro plate design. That's also about where I'm at as far as pulling the license bracket too, and drilling the holes to match up with the plate and hold the bracket. Kinda like fitting it in the reverse of the instructions. Haven't heard back from Twisted throttle yet. Even an acknowledgement that the got my emails as they requested would be nice. Heck, even if they wrote to say they think I'm an idiot would at least tell me someone saw it! :D

PS: Alternatively, I'm thinking of taking a dremel to lower part of the SW bracket, and grinding out 2 spots to allow room for the lower plate bracket bolts... hmmm Grrrrr....

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, and You're exactly right about it being for the Euro plate design. That's also about where I'm at as far as pulling the license bracket too, and drilling the holes to match up with the plate and hold the bracket. Kinda like fitting it in the reverse of the instructions. Haven't heard back from Twisted throttle yet. Even an acknowledgement that the got my emails as they requested would be nice. Heck, even if they wrote to say they think I'm an idiot would at least tell me someone saw it! :D

PS: Alternatively, I'm thinking of taking a dremel to lower part of the SW bracket, and grinding out 2 spots to allow room for the lower plate bracket bolts... hmmm Grrrrr....

! That's a good idea, you know! Make small half moons in the Motech cross piece where needed with a dremel or whatever, and use socket cap allen head fasteners to bolt the bracket on instead of the hex head bolts. :)

! That's a good idea, you know! Make small half moons in the Motech cross piece where needed with a dremel or whatever, and use socket cap allen head fasteners to bolt the bracket on instead of the hex head bolts. :)

Hey Yeah! Allen's instead of the hex heads would make life a lot easier. I've looked the schematics on Pro-caliber over and over and it doesn't look like any kind of stress area.... We might have something here :D

Now we're cook'n!!!
I ran (wife drove me) up to the hardware store and got the hex's The bracket still fits in tight, but it's more of a firm tight, and not the pressing things out-of-whack tight. Definitely a step forward. I'll check the alignment of everything tomorrow, and see if I need to still cut the half moons. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll all just bolt up. (crosses fingers) I also got 2 large thick fender washer for spacers. to make up for the space between the plate bracket and plastic....um...duck tail?
Eric:)
View attachment 24380

I left the plate screws alone. marked and drilled new holes for the bracket. I think the spacers I used came with the kit though they may have been something I had in my misc parts box.

DSCF0296[1].jpg

Yeah.... It was supposed to be that simple according to the instructions and Twisted Throttle. ***BUT*** I seem to have a peculiar bike that some things don't fit normally on. Looking at your picture, on the top of the SW crossbar, there is a slight gap between the top of the bar, and the bottom of that cover piece with the red reflector.
On mine, not only was,(and still is), there no gap, but it was wedging that cover piece up and out away from the lower duck tail piece. There was enough stress there that I felt as if one good size Michigan type pothole, unnoticed at speed, would damage that entire tail-light assembly. So, I'm trying to make some slack so the parts can flex, breathe, and maintain each of their harmonies in unison as a team. You know... Feng-Shui man.. :D

Last edited:
That is how mine it mounted as well ..

I just used a few spare washers to shim between the metal bracket and plastic sub-fender to keep either from bending. fits up tight.

I left the plate screws alone. marked and drilled new holes for the bracket. I think the spacers I used came with the kit though they may have been something I had in my misc parts box.

View attachment 24382

Yeah.... It was supposed to be that simple according to the instructions and Twisted Throttle. ***BUT*** I seem to have a peculiar bike that some things don't fit normally on. Looking at your picture, on the top of the SW crossbar, there is a slight gap between the top of the bar, and the bottom of that cover piece with the red reflector.
On mine, not only was,(and still is), there no gap, but it was wedging that cover piece up and out away from the lower duck tail piece. There was enough stress there that I felt as if one good size Michigan type pothole, unnoticed at speed, would damage that entire tail-light assembly. So, I'm trying to make some slack so the parts can flex, breathe, and maintain each of their harmonies in unison as a team. You know... Feng-Shui man.. :D

Possibility that I have a little extra room because I have taken the license plate and tail light off before. I also have the cable for my Admore LED brake light running up under the reflector.

FINISHED!

Pics coming as soon as I take it for a test spin. All the tail;light and lower fender bolts/screws had to be loosened, and everything lined up, fitted and tightened together to get it right. No half moon cuts either.
OH! I decided if I need to, I was going to grind a bit off the hex botls instead of the SW bracket. After all that the lower fender, (duck tail part), is still a bit off, (crooked), according to where the frames want to be; but there's no stress! FENG-SHUI! lol No Loc-Tite'(ing) for awhile. I want everything to settle in for a time, and than I'll re-check all the fasteners and such. I opted to go for Allen heads on the SW bracket as well, since the supplied bolts weren't long enough. I lost one of the nuts in the kit on my way back to hardware store, so I got Nylon insert locknuts on the brackets. 2 stainless steel, and 2 thick zinc coated fender washers make the spacers. Made a couple friends who helped out too! Good day so far. :)

Last edited:
I had some similar issues as Flaferalcat, but not as severe. I had to add a spacer washer between the bracket and fender, and supply longer bolts. When I install the side brackets with the quick fasteners, I have to bend the fender down slightly to get it all to line up. I asked Twisted Throttle about that and they said they never heard of anyone having trouble mounting this kit. So, they were no help.

Mine was a pain to get that part on too, I was warned about it by the shop I ordered it from, guy who works there had installed it on his bike so he mentioned it to me...

Michael at Twisted throttle just wrote back with pics of their bike and apologized for the delay getting back to me. After looking at the 3 pics he sent, I think I did a pretty good job! :D Anyway, at least Twisted Throttle did write back and also asked if needed further help, let them know. So, all is well in the world.

Back