• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750 first outing. 450 mile weekend

mlsceo

Reaction score
Visit site
Took my 2020 out for the first time. Two day ride across the Southern Sierra Nevada from west to east then back via a different route.
Bunch of twisties, some sweeper sections, and a few miles of freeway droning.

Gotta say the bar risers were the best mod I've done and the most needed. I put in 32 miles riding home from the dealership when
I purchased it and the hush puppies were getting waaay too friendly with the frunk. Risers rotated my hips back to a perfect position,
problem solved with no need to change the seat.

Keep the tach anywhere above 4 grand and the engines' torque will pull you out of corners nicely. Sixth gear is useless even on the
freeway, which is the only time I ever tried it. I added a 9" carbon fiber Delkovic slip-on, Sounds amazing! Love it.

Also added a smoked Puig racing screen., smallest I could find. Air flow hits at my shoulders right where I like it. I wear a full face Arai Signet so wind noise isn't
an issue and the venting in the helmet kept me cool when I dropped down off the hills and temps were at 100.

Great ride. Happy with the NC and planning another outing soon. Heading the opposite direction this time to the coast. We have some of the best
two lanes out here in California.

Congrats. Sounds like a nice ride. What bar risers (size) did you use?
40 mm riser. These bring the bar up about an inch and a half and back about an inch and a quarter. Any more than that and you'll have to add a longer clutch
cable and brake hose. About $25 on amazon.

Sounds like a solid trip to me!

I find it odd you feel 6th gear is useless. I own 2 NC700X DCT bikes, a 2013 and 2016, and ride in 6th gear all the time, on and off freeway, zero issues. If I hit a steeper incline or need to quickly get around a car, of course, I gear down to 5th. But with yours being the bigger engine compared to mine, I couldn't imagine thinking 6th was useless on these bikes at highway speeds (over 60mph).

Is yours DCT or Manual?

Mines a manual. I have always ridden large displacement inline fours, Suzuki GS1100's, CBX six cylinder etc. When I twist the throttle I expect
my bike to respond with some acceleration. My NC750 has nice torque/response between 4,000 and 6,500 rpm. Below that range there
is pretty much zero response. If I was on the freeway at pretty much any speed and needed to accelerate in 6th gear for whatever reason
I'd be out of luck because 6th gear is so tall. That's not to say that I think my NC is under powered. Like I said in my OP it's got a really
nice pull in the right rev range. 6th gear is just too tall IMO, if I'm in 5th gear there's no need to down shift to pass since the engine is already
in it's power band and responsive to throttle inputs. I spent most of the miles on that trip in 3rd and 4th gears and it was a blast.

good thing it is easy to change sprockets and make 6th to your taste. my 700 has a wonderful 5th so i only use 6th above 70mph . still has good power up to 100 and i stop at that mark

There ya go. I may do a sprocket change when it comes time to replace the chain. Did that on one of my GS's and it made it even more of a rocket down low.
No need to run big top end speeds, fun to pull through the gears.

S
There ya go. I may do a sprocket change when it comes time to replace the chain. Did that on one of my GS's and it made it even more of a rocket down low.
No need to run big top end speeds, fun to pull through the gears.
I'd imagine you could go down 1 tooth in the front and up 2 teeth in the rear with the stock length chain. If properly cared for, you should get at least a good 10-15k miles out of the oem chain.

Back